D-Link 3220G Network Camera and sending email

Just picked up on of these Network cameras for home monitoring. I have
tried everything in the manual and on the D-link website to get this thing
to send snapshots via email. No luck so far. Does anybody else out there
have one of these and are you able to get it to send email?

BTW, this camera has some nice features and has worked fine otherwise.
According to the manual sending email should be pretty simple so hopefully
I'm missing something small.

The camera log shows "connection fail" and all the failures managed to
trigger a temporary shutoff at the email server. I know the login username
and password I'm giving it are good because I verified them via the website
email access. Anybody ever run into similar issues with other cameras?
15 answers Last reply
More about link 3220g network camera sending email

    I don't have that model but use verizon for my ISP and their mail requires
    user authorization which dlink and other network cams here don't have.
    You might check with comcast for mail set up or look in your email client
    and see if that authorization bugger is effecting you too.
    Only way I can get cams to mail stuff is to set up a local mail server
    here,,, for routers too.

    "johnQdoe" <JohnQdoe@outthere.com> wrote in message
    > Just picked up on of these Network cameras for home monitoring. I have
    > tried everything in the manual and on the D-link website to get this thing
    > to send snapshots via email. No luck so far. Does anybody else out there
    > have one of these and are you able to get it to send email?
    >
    > BTW, this camera has some nice features and has worked fine otherwise.
    > According to the manual sending email should be pretty simple so hopefully
    > I'm missing something small.
    >
    > The camera log shows "connection fail" and all the failures managed to
    > trigger a temporary shutoff at the email server. I know the login
    username
    > and password I'm giving it are good because I verified them via the
    website
    > email access. Anybody ever run into similar issues with other cameras?

    Thanks for the response. I have emailed Comcast to verify the email
    settings but I'm using the same info for OE and it works. That's why I
    can't understand why it isn't working with the camera. Geez, this should be
    the easiest thing about the camera to setup! I'm supplying the account and
    password in OE and the "Logon using Secure Password Authentication" and the
    "My server requires authentication" are both NOT checked. Is there some
    other setting I need to check? I'm getting this message: "Err=501 need MAIL
    FROM:<name@domain>"

    I also tried emailing the logs from the router and that didn't work either
    so I'm worried this is the same thing you ran into. Damn thing doesn't show
    any error message so I have no idea why it isn't working.

    What is involved in setting up a mail server? That's going to be more $$ no
    doubt and require a system be running all the time.

    If this turns out to be the case then D-Link has misled me and others.
    There is nothing in the documentation that this camera will email only in
    SOME cases. I sure hope they haven't provided a half-baked solution here.
    I guess I'll try setting up the FTP transfer and see if I can make any
    headway there until I hear back from Comcast & D-Link.

    Stay tuned...

    P.S. The picture quality of this camera is pretty good and the G wireless is
    working great. I will be getting a powered speaker to try the 2-way audio
    and will check back here with my overall impressions of this camera.

    "bumtracks" <sitting@corner.pub> wrote in message
    > I don't have that model but use verizon for my ISP and their mail requires
    > user authorization which dlink and other network cams here don't have.
    > You might check with comcast for mail set up or look in your email client
    > and see if that authorization bugger is effecting you too.
    > Only way I can get cams to mail stuff is to set up a local mail server
    > here,,, for routers too.
    >

    > "johnQdoe" <JohnQdoe@outthere.com> wrote in message
    > > Just picked up on of these Network cameras for home monitoring. I have
    > > tried everything in the manual and on the D-link website to get this
    thing
    > > to send snapshots via email. No luck so far. Does anybody else out
    there
    > > have one of these and are you able to get it to send email?
    > >
    > > BTW, this camera has some nice features and has worked fine otherwise.
    > > According to the manual sending email should be pretty simple so
    hopefully
    > > I'm missing something small.
    > >
    > > The camera log shows "connection fail" and all the failures managed to
    > > trigger a temporary shutoff at the email server. I know the login
    > username
    > > and password I'm giving it are good because I verified them via the
    > website
    > > email access. Anybody ever run into similar issues with other cameras?

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 22:55:36 -0500, "johnQdoe"
    <JohnQdoe@outthere.com> wrote:

    >Just picked up on of these Network cameras for home monitoring. I have
    >tried everything in the manual and on the D-link website to get this thing
    >to send snapshots via email. No luck so far. Does anybody else out there
    >have one of these and are you able to get it to send email?
    >
    >BTW, this camera has some nice features and has worked fine otherwise.
    >According to the manual sending email should be pretty simple so hopefully
    >I'm missing something small.
    >
    >The camera log shows "connection fail" and all the failures managed to
    >trigger a temporary shutoff at the email server. I know the login username
    >and password I'm giving it are good because I verified them via the website
    >email access. Anybody ever run into similar issues with other cameras?

    As strange as it may seem, you may not need your user name and
    password. I've been tinkering with a free command line email
    application called sendemail which was getting authorization
    errors. I removed the user name and password from the command
    line and it works. If you are sending to a mail server at your
    current ISP, then may accept email from with in its system with
    out the user and password. Below is what is required to send mail
    with in the system of my ISP. From, to, subject, message, and
    mail server. If you are using a mail server outside the system or
    from another ISP, then the user name and password would
    definately be needed. Try skipping the user name and password.

    sendemail.exe -f me@home.net -t me@work.net -u test -m send email
    test -s smtp.myisp.net:25

    "Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 22:55:36 -0500, "johnQdoe"
    > <JohnQdoe@outthere.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Just picked up on of these Network cameras for home monitoring. I have
    > >tried everything in the manual and on the D-link website to get this
    thing
    > >to send snapshots via email. No luck so far. Does anybody else out
    there
    > >have one of these and are you able to get it to send email?
    > >
    > >BTW, this camera has some nice features and has worked fine otherwise.
    > >According to the manual sending email should be pretty simple so
    hopefully
    > >I'm missing something small.
    > >
    > >The camera log shows "connection fail" and all the failures managed to
    > >trigger a temporary shutoff at the email server. I know the login
    username
    > >and password I'm giving it are good because I verified them via the
    website
    > >email access. Anybody ever run into similar issues with other cameras?
    >
    > As strange as it may seem, you may not need your user name and
    > password. I've been tinkering with a free command line email
    > application called sendemail which was getting authorization
    > errors. I removed the user name and password from the command
    > line and it works. If you are sending to a mail server at your
    > current ISP, then may accept email from with in its system with
    > out the user and password. Below is what is required to send mail
    > with in the system of my ISP. From, to, subject, message, and
    > mail server. If you are using a mail server outside the system or
    > from another ISP, then the user name and password would
    > definately be needed. Try skipping the user name and password.
    >
    > sendemail.exe -f me@home.net -t me@work.net -u test -m send email
    > test -s smtp.myisp.net:25

    Just tried it... No luck. Did get a different error message though....
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    "Err=501 need MAIL
    FROM:<name@domain>"

    Error 501 = This response indicates that the server identified an attempt to
    issue an SMTP command but the parameters associated with the command
    contained a syntax error.

    Sounds like you dont have a from field in the sent email and maybe it needs
    to be addressed to mail other than your own email addy to another
    account like hotmail.

    I've a spot where two way audio will come in handy, have been watching for
    a deal on dcs3220 or W for myself. They've stung me too many times on
    rebates but imagine the new lower light cams will have rebates soon to get
    them moving.

> [...]
    have
    > > > tried everything in the manual and on the D-link website to get this
    > thing
    > > > to send snapshots via email. No luck so far. Does anybody else out
    > there
    > > > have one of these and are you able to get it to send email?
    > > >
    > > > BTW, this camera has some nice features and has worked fine otherwise.
    > > > According to the manual sending email should be pretty simple so
    > hopefully
    > > > I'm missing something small.
    > > >
    > > > The camera log shows "connection fail" and all the failures managed to
    > > > trigger a temporary shutoff at the email server. I know the login
    > > username
    > > > and password I'm giving it are good because I verified them via the
    > > website
    > > > email access. Anybody ever run into similar issues with other

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    Unfortunately, the camera doesn't display what it is using in the error
    message so I have no idea what it is actually using, other than looking at
    the SMTP config screen. And all looks OK there. I have since found out
    that Comcast doesn't support SPA (Secure Password Authentication).

    I expect to hear back from D-Link tomorrow on my email to tech support. I
    can telnet into the camera but there isn't anything there to look at really.
    Maybe they can tell me how to turn on some more detailed tracing?

    BTW, didn't have any luck with the FTP function either. Getting "FTP:
    Unable to connect to ftp server upload.comcast. at port 5376." when I use
    port 21 in the config. When I change the ports (local and 1st ftp server)
    to 5276 then I get "FTP: Unable to connect to ftp server upload.comcast. at
    port 21." No combination of the two port numbers works.

    It appears to be dropping part of the host name. upload.comcast.net gets
    cut to upload.comcast. When I change it to just comcast.net the log shows
    it correctly but it still doesn't work. I tried entering uploadcomcast.net
    in the config screen and the log shows it as "uploadcomcast.ne" so I don't
    know if the log is truncating it or it is being truncated by the camera FTP.
    Arrggh....

    I'm not likin' the way this is shaping up...

> [...]
    > >
    > > Stay tuned...
    > >
    > > P.S. The picture quality of this camera is pretty good and the G
    wireless
    > is
    > > working great. I will be getting a powered speaker to try the 2-way
    audio
    > > and will check back here with my overall impressions of this camera.
    > >

    > > "bumtracks" <sitting@corner.pub> wrote in message
    > > > I don't have that model but use verizon for my ISP and their mail
    > requires
    > > > user authorization which dlink and other network cams here don't
    > have.
    > > > You might check with comcast for mail set up or look in your email
    > client
    > > > and see if that authorization bugger is effecting you too.
    > > > Only way I can get cams to mail stuff is to set up a local mail server

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    fwiw
    I just looked real quick at comcast set up instructions for OE
    then looked at a dcs2000 configs and its output ...
    which is same program(er)as 3220

    required for cam to mail comcast sh/b...
    smtp.comcast.net
    LoginUserName (without @comcast)
    passWord
    the mailto@address.net
    sender email LoginUserName@comcast.net ((from field))
    which is way on the bottom of the smtp config
    i assume ur email is LoginUserName@comcast.net

    example dcs2000 email;
    Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 05:14:12 GMT
    To: dcs2000@mikesdesk.lan
    From: dcs2000R@mikesdesk.lan
    Subject: Periodic snapshots

    --192.168.0.26Vivotek1104124452

    *** Periodic snapshots ***
    From: http://192.168.0.26
    Time: Dec/27/2004 00:14:11
    Note: ncam6
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 00:55:02 -0500, "johnQdoe"
    <JohnQdoe@outthere.com> wrote:

    >Well didn't use Inetserv. I'm running XP Pro and it has IIS 5.1 with SMTP
    >support. Took a few minutes to set it up and then directed the camera to
    >the system. Worked first shot!
    >
    >Now I'm wondering why the heck it works if I use the PC as a pass through to
    >the cable SMTP server? It appears to be using the very same information I
    >entered in the camera config. Why can't it connect directly. I'd rather
    >not leave the PC on but at least I got it to work in some fashion!

    I posted this once before for you. For sending mail via your ISP
    smtp server, including a user name and password may be giving you
    an authinication error (at least it does on my system). I suggest
    you try *not* using a name and password and see what happens.
    User names and passwords seem to be used for accessing your
    email account and reading what is there.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 00:55:02 -0500, "johnQdoe"
    > <JohnQdoe@outthere.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Well didn't use Inetserv. I'm running XP Pro and it has IIS 5.1 with
    SMTP
    > >support. Took a few minutes to set it up and then directed the camera to
    > >the system. Worked first shot!
    > >
    > >Now I'm wondering why the heck it works if I use the PC as a pass through
    > >the cable SMTP server? It appears to be using the very same information
    > >entered in the camera config. Why can't it connect directly. I'd rather
    > >not leave the PC on but at least I got it to work in some fashion!
    >
    > I posted this once before for you. For sending mail via your ISP
    > smtp server, including a user name and password may be giving you
    > an authinication error (at least it does on my system). I suggest
    > you try *not* using a name and password and see what happens.
    > User names and passwords seem to be used for accessing your
    > email account and reading what is there.

    I did try not using a username or password but that didn't work either. But
    if no account or password is used, doesn't that mean anybody from any place
    could send email through the server? Not sure anybody would allow or want
    that type of open access.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 10:10:58 -0500, "johnQdoe"
    <JohnQdoe@outthere.com> wrote:

    >"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 00:55:02 -0500, "johnQdoe"
    >> <JohnQdoe@outthere.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Well didn't use Inetserv. I'm running XP Pro and it has IIS 5.1 with
    >SMTP
    >> >support. Took a few minutes to set it up and then directed the camera to
    >> >the system. Worked first shot!
    >> >
    >> >Now I'm wondering why the heck it works if I use the PC as a pass through
    >> >the cable SMTP server? It appears to be using the very same information
    >> >entered in the camera config. Why can't it connect directly. I'd rather
    >> >not leave the PC on but at least I got it to work in some fashion!
    >>
    >> I posted this once before for you. For sending mail via your ISP
    >> smtp server, including a user name and password may be giving you
    >> an authinication error (at least it does on my system). I suggest
    >> you try *not* using a name and password and see what happens.
    >> User names and passwords seem to be used for accessing your
    >> email account and reading what is there.
    >
    >I did try not using a username or password but that didn't work either. But
    >if no account or password is used, doesn't that mean anybody from any place
    >could send email through the server? Not sure anybody would allow or want
    >that type of open access.

    If you are interested in experimenting, below is my origional
    post with a link to the free sendemail windows application and
    the info on using the application. The sendemail application
    captures errors in a file for viewing, and thats where I noticed
    authinication errors when I included the user name and password.
    I think most smtp servers look at the originating IP address
    (with in the ISPs domain or not) to determine if the email is
    comming with in its system and should be sent. I've been testing
    this setup to automatically send a webcam frame capture via email
    when an event is triggered. In the batch file you would need to
    put in the appropriate email addresses and smpt server info for
    your test.

    ======================================

    As strange as it may seem, you may not need your user name and
    password. I've been tinkering with a free command line email
    application called sendemail which was getting authorization
    errors. I removed the user name and password from the command
    line and it works. If you are sending to a mail server at your
    current ISP, then may accept email from with in its system with
    out the user and password. Below is what is required to send mail
    with in the system of my ISP. From, to, subject, message, and
    mail server. If you are using a mail server outside the system or
    from another ISP, then the user name and password would
    definately be needed. Try skipping the user name and password.

    http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/

    ::========sendemail.bat==========

    @echo off
    sendemail.exe -f me@home.net -t me@work.net -u test -m send email
    test -s smtp.myisp.net:25 -l error.txt

    ::==================================

    sendemail.exe-1.50 by Brandon Zehm <caspian@dotconf.net>

    Synopsis: sendemail.exe -f ADDRESS [options]

    Required:
    -f ADDRESS from (sender) email address
    * At least one recipient required via -t, -cc, or -bcc
    * Message body required via -m, STDIN, or -o
    message-file=FILE

    Common:
    -t ADDRESS [ADDR ...] to email address(es)
    -u SUBJECT message subject
    -m MESSAGE message body
    -s SERVER[:PORT] smtp mail relay, default is
    localhost:25

    Optional:
    -a FILE [FILE ...] file attachment(s)
    -cc ADDRESS [ADDR ...] cc email address(es)
    -bcc ADDRESS [ADDR ...] bcc email address(es)

    Paranormal:
    -xu USERNAME authentication user (for SMTP
    authentication)
    -xp PASSWORD authentication password (for SMTP
    authentication)
    -l LOGFILE log to the specified file
    -v verbosity, use multiple times for
    greater effect
    -q be quiet (no stdout output)
    -o NAME=VALUE see extended help topic "misc" for
    details

    Help:
    --help TOPIC The following extended help topics
    are available:
    addressing explain addressing and related
    options
    message explain message body input and
    related options
    misc explain -xu, -xp, and others
    networking explain -s, etc
    output explain logging and other output
    options
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    Did you ever get the FTP to work?? I am getting the same error. I am
    using my home computer's FTP (Win2k with IIS 5) and it is not working
    for me.

    I have also had no luck getting the camera to work wirelessly with my
    Belkin 802.11b wireless router. It worked for 10s after i power cycled
    both router and camera, but then it all crashed! Tech support was
    equally lame when I talked to them about the problems.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    I have a D-link 2100+ camera and it would crash using wireless. The fix I
    found was to untick UPNP in the camera settings and it has not crashed
    since.

    I also use the email functionality of the camera without any problems, I
    tried the FTP for a while and this also worked for me. This was to an
    external account on the Internet.

    HTH
    mk38

    "TransParent Webcam" <TransParentWebcam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Did you ever get the FTP to work?? I am getting the same error. I am
    > using my home computer's FTP (Win2k with IIS 5) and it is not working
    > for me.
    >
    > I have also had no luck getting the camera to work wirelessly with my
    > Belkin 802.11b wireless router. It worked for 10s after i power cycled
    > both router and camera, but then it all crashed! Tech support was
    > equally lame when I talked to them about the problems.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    Nope, never got the FTP functionality to work. The SMTP only worked if I
    set up an SMTP server on my PC (built into XP Pro). D-Link's pathetic
    support claimed trying to send to a cable company email system was
    "advanced" and not supported, yet there help files contain reference to
    Comcast, etc. I must say that D-Link tech support is THE worst I have ever
    had the misfortune of speaking to. I will never buy another D-Link product
    again and will advise others to do the same. For a product costing over
    $300, one expects to be able to speak to somebody that isnlt thumbing
    through the written scripts for the first time! I actually had to educate
    HIM on the camera!

    Can you try your camera with another router? Does the same thing happen on
    a wired connection? I had mine connected to a Netgear wireless router with
    all security enabled as well as UPNP and it was fine. The networking was
    about the only thing that worked as advertised with this camera.

    "TransParent Webcam" <TransParentWebcam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Did you ever get the FTP to work?? I am getting the same error. I am
    > using my home computer's FTP (Win2k with IIS 5) and it is not working
    > for me.
    >
    > I have also had no luck getting the camera to work wirelessly with my
    > Belkin 802.11b wireless router. It worked for 10s after i power cycled
    > both router and camera, but then it all crashed! Tech support was
    > equally lame when I talked to them about the problems.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    Please do tell more... Exactly what provider were you able to FTP and Email
    to? What was the magic information that worked with the 2100+? It might
    help us with the 3220G. D-Link support sure as hell can't help!

    "mk38" <mk38shooter@bigbangbang.c> wrote in message
    > I have a D-link 2100+ camera and it would crash using wireless. The fix I
    > found was to untick UPNP in the camera settings and it has not crashed
    > since.
    >
    > I also use the email functionality of the camera without any problems, I
    > tried the FTP for a while and this also worked for me. This was to an
    > external account on the Internet.
    >
    > HTH
    > mk38
    >
    > "TransParent Webcam" <TransParentWebcam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Did you ever get the FTP to work?? I am getting the same error. I am
    > > using my home computer's FTP (Win2k with IIS 5) and it is not working
    > > for me.
    > >
    > > I have also had no luck getting the camera to work wirelessly with my
    > > Belkin 802.11b wireless router. It worked for 10s after i power cycled
    > > both router and camera, but then it all crashed! Tech support was
    > > equally lame when I talked to them about the problems.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    I am sending my motion detected snapshots to a Gmail email account vial my
    mail server on Voxetreme. I have the mail server name and the user and
    password fields set up. Thats all. Under Tools, Applications, I chose Event
    Operation and the Trigger condition is the motion detection window I had
    setup. Then upload Snapshots while motion detected is ticked. On the same
    page the radio button is ticked to send snapshots via email.

    The FTP account was also on a server operated by Voxextreme.
    http://www.voxextreme.co.uk the user name did not have an @ in it. I could
    not get it to work with a username with an @ in it??? The only difference
    from above settings is that the FTP account is filled in and the Tools,
    Applications, the radio button to Send snapshots via FTP is on instead of
    email.

    Both of these work well for me.

    My set up is the DCS-2100+ running wireless to a Netgear DG834G router. My
    ISP is Plusnet in the UK. I also forward the ports through the router to the
    camera so it can be viewed from across the Internet.

    HTH
    mk38

    > Please do tell more... Exactly what provider were you able to FTP and
    > Email
    > to? What was the magic information that worked with the 2100+? It might
    > help us with the 3220G. D-Link support sure as hell can't help!
    >

    > "mk38" <mk38shooter@bigbangbang.c> wrote in message
    >> I have a D-link 2100+ camera and it would crash using wireless. The fix I
    >> found was to untick UPNP in the camera settings and it has not crashed
    >> since.
    >>
    >> I also use the email functionality of the camera without any problems, I
    >> tried the FTP for a while and this also worked for me. This was to an
    >> external account on the Internet.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >> mk38
    >>
    >> "TransParent Webcam" <TransParentWebcam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Did you ever get the FTP to work?? I am getting the same error. I am
    >> > using my home computer's FTP (Win2k with IIS 5) and it is not working
    >> > for me.
    >> >
    >> > I have also had no luck getting the camera to work wirelessly with my
    >> > Belkin 802.11b wireless router. It worked for 10s after i power cycled
    >> > both router and camera, but then it all crashed! Tech support was
    >> > equally lame when I talked to them about the problems.

Webcams D-Link Cameras Email Peripherals