asus p5b increase to ddr 800

URLORD

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Good day to all, I will be getting an asus p5b with an e6700 conroe, while I am not interested in pushing up the mhzs on the conroe, I want to run my memory at ddr800 levels(mushkin). I know that you usually dial down the multiplier on the cpu to maximize the memory but since the multiplier is locked on the e6700, how to go about doing it and keeping everything to a 1:1 ratio? What does the asus run the memory at , at stock? does the memory have its own multiplier? is there a formula to figure it out?
As you all can tell I am still a bit foggy on the memory aspect of tweaking so please be gentle :D

larsdidriksen

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
as far as i know, the multiplier is only locked upwards meaning that you can clock it down all you want, and then up the FSB. if you want your ram running at 800 MHz, at 1:1, you need to up the FSB to 400. and down the multiplier till you hit stock speed, if you don’t want to over clock, that is. Alternatively you can leave the multiplier as is, and up the fsb to perhaps 300 (this should be stabile) and down the Ram to 600, this would, give you a faster system too, since the 6700 is not all that effected by RAM.

This is only my own very limited experience, so you might want a second opinion. hope it helps

URLORD

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Thanks for the effort but I found out in another forum that I do not have to touch the FSB multiplier at all since the memory has its own multiplier associated with the northbridge