Is there a Performance Difference between two boards???

McParty

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
I was just wondering if there would be a difference between two boards made by the same company with the same chipset.... one being listed as "Green" comapred to one that is not. I am speaking of the new Asus boards...Asus (P5N32-E-Sli-Green) nForce 680I Sli PCI and some are listed and do not say Green.

Of course then there is the Striker Board which is out of my price range so I won't mention it!

So... Does being Green slow you down?? Make the board less reliable in some way??

Thanks All!

McParty

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
I was just wondering if there would be a difference between two boards made by the same company with the same chipset.... one being listed as "Green" comapred to one that is not. I am speaking of the new Asus boards...Asus (P5N32-E-Sli-Green) nForce 680I Sli PCI and some are listed and do not say Green.

Of course then there is the Striker Board which is out of my price range so I won't mention it!

So... Does being Green slow you down?? Make the board less reliable in some way??

Thanks All!

McParty

well, to answer your question, yes; there are performance differences between boards. usually this difference appears as like 3 fps in a game or something, its not generally like crazy-significant. anyway, i haven't heard anything about your board. seems cool. i'm assuming that, for one, the fact that it uses the same chipset is a good thing. usually inter-chipset boards dont see much difference, and it comes down to bundled stuff/options really.

i'd imagine that your selected mobo somehow reduces energy consumption or something to merit the title of green. however, again, i'm not fully sure.

i would however like to suggest that you wait for the release of the rd600, ati's spiffy new chipset. it is coming out in like 2 days, no joke, so its not like you'll have money burning up your pockets for long.

McParty

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
LOL... I love the end of that answer!! LOL Almost every post I see lately ends the same way! Wait for the rd600.

I'll be waiting until Friday to buy, but I was given 2 Nvidia 7900 cards with 512 each. I almost have to go nvidia (Sli) and the rd600 doesn't do Nvidia....correct?
Thanks for the reply by the way. I do find it strange that ASUS makes a board different just to meet Europe's environment rules. Why Bother making the one that ISN'T green then?

Ahh, who knows... I work all day and like to come home and kill on COD or what ever FPS is hot at the time. Hell... I won't even be over clocking the damn thing!! LOL (too scared)

McParty

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
LOL... I love the end of that answer!! LOL Almost every post I see lately ends the same way! Wait for the rd600.

I'll be waiting until Friday to buy, but I was given 2 Nvidia 7900 cards with 512 each. I almost have to go nvidia (Sli) and the rd600 doesn't do Nvidia....correct?
Thanks for the reply by the way. I do find it strange that ASUS makes a board different just to meet Europe's environment rules. Why Bother making the one that ISN'T green then?

Ahh, who knows... I work all day and like to come home and kill on COD or what ever FPS is hot at the time. Hell... I won't even be over clocking the damn thing!! LOL (too scared)

McParty

ah, oc'ing isn't that bad, but don't let me talk you into it: its a decision that you have to make. you have to go to it, not it come to you. if that makes any sense. you'll understand when you're ready to take the path..... 8O [/jedi mind trick]

yeah, everyone is up in arms about the rd600, its just like 2 days away tho! you see the point? in 2 days, you *could* get something 100x better, is 2 days that long to wait? i understand fully if there are other factors (vid card deal)

so whats up with those cards? sound sweet, were you really GIVEN them, as in like for free? OMG H4X0R :evil:

i personally think that gaming is a great stress reliever. i use it after school. parents think its corrupting me :roll: but i do have a life, so w/e.

i've wondered about "green" tech like that before, too. its the right thing to do, why not? the reason is, its harder to design something that is good when it comes to power usage than it is to just throw the same old power hungry thing together. it must cost more to develop/produce, so in that case, capitalism wins :( boo capitalism

good luck with your build, mcparty (love the name) !

McParty

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
LOL, A Friend of mine went to work for a small Oil Company... his boss bought him a home PC with these two cards in it. I told hom about the 7950's and he mentioned them to his boss, who decided to get THEM 2 7950's each for thier new PC's. He gave me his 2 7900's!! LOL

Now you know why the Oil Companies have record Profits and Bush gave them record tax cuts!!

Capitalism in itself isn't bad until you get Monopolies, which is what's happening in a lot of businesses from Oil companies to TV and Radio Stations and media outlets in general!! Oh well... I shouldn't start this!! LOL I'll bore everyone on the site!! Or piss of some too! LOL

4745454b

Titan
I know a big push right now is using more environmentally friendly products while making the boards. (no lead, etc.) I would imagine that the "green" board is something of that sort. (without any links to check, I couldn't tell you.) As long as they use the same chipset, you looking at a possible 2-3% difference in speed, assuming your looking at the highest and lowest boards. Frankly, I'd go for the cheapest one.

Also, I wouldn't bother waiting for RD600. You can't SLI those video cards on a CF motherboard.

McParty

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Yeah, I can't wait since I won't be able to go SLi. I did want to see the ABIT board, but from what I hear that might not be out until Mid January!! Way too long to wait !! LOL

bazza

Distinguished
May 9, 2004
omg you couldnt be more wrong

the term 'green' here means that the packaging is more environmentally friendly

green versions of Asus mobos dont come with that white cardboard or foam, instead they have a corrugated brown piece of cardboard that wraps around the mobo

as for the actual mobo itself, i have no idea if its more environmentally friendly or not