• Reviews
  • CPUs
  • Round-Up
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
December 14, 2006 1:26:14 AM

Hiya,
Whats a good resource (site) for working out the best CPU heatsink / cooler.

Trying to work out what to get for a new Core 2 Duo E6400 I plan to OC.

Thanks

More about : cpu heatsinks reviews roundups

December 14, 2006 2:02:09 AM

Thanks,
they're similar to what I'd managed to find via Google.

Was hoping someone might have a sight that actually compares them and gives figures between the current best ones with the temps they produce etc?
Related resources
December 14, 2006 2:13:25 AM

That, is up to you to Google Fu.
December 14, 2006 5:36:09 AM

You love the shrimps too much man. Its just not healthy. :wink:
December 14, 2006 5:42:51 AM

Think I'm gonna get the Thermaltake Volcano - it's $60 from MSY and includes the fan.
December 14, 2006 6:02:59 AM

If you'll be overclocking, I'd recommend the Arctic Freezer 7. If you plan to stay at stock speeds, (God forbid) or if you'll be doing mild overclocking, I'd recommend the Scythe Ninja Rev B.
December 14, 2006 9:45:15 AM

Hey thanks for the advice,
loving the price of that cooler.
Combine that with the Case fans I just found that seem too good to be true ($15 each and really quiet) and I'll be saving some nice cash :) 

Only concern about it is:

a) It's not recommended here: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core2Duo-Overcl...

as one that will achieve the best results for over clocking? Dont know how much that guy knows obviously but it seems like quite a thorough review so I'd guess he's probably quite clued up?

b) the fan is only 92mm instead of the 120mm that is used on most of the ones on his top listed 7 which means it wont get as much air flow for as quite a noise level and would probably not cool as well (I'm asking here not telling!).

Do you have one, and if so, whats your box OC'd to?

I want to put mine to I think around 3.1 as that seems to be whats extremely easily achievable without too many worries. I've seen alot of people do alot more than that, but for me that seems like a nice inbetween value?

December 14, 2006 10:15:25 AM

Hey,
just looked into that cooler alot more after your recommendation.

It's going to cost me around at least $53 to get one including shipping.
I can get the Typhoon for $60 as the place is local and I can pick it up.

Is the Freezer 7 as good as the Typhoon? its got the smaller fan which usually means less air flow so hotter?

Thanks for the help,

Just found these too:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article285-page5.html
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cf...

Freezer 7 doesn't seem like the best option?
December 14, 2006 5:30:46 PM

I've never been a Zalman person. Not enough performance for the price.
December 14, 2006 8:03:41 PM

I'm currently watercooled... and thinking of switching to air cooled...
if i can maintain my OC i'd be realy happy...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2006 12:18:15 AM

Id recommand the Tuniq tower if it fits in your case
December 15, 2006 2:42:13 AM

Quote:
Id recommend the Tuniq tower if it fits in your case

it will fit... have a P180
but trying to find some comparison between the Tuniq tower and the Zalman CNPS9700 and can't find any...
it is only $15 difference in Canada
December 15, 2006 5:59:36 AM

Quote:
What are you running? Why would you want to switch back?
December 15, 2006 6:59:42 AM

I'm gonna get the Volcano VX.
The shop doesn't have the standard one in stock so I've gotta pay the extra $8 but supposedly it's easier to user and also has fan speed which is a nice extra touch.
December 15, 2006 4:49:02 PM

Quote:
What are you running? Why would you want to switch back?
OK I'm running a DD TDX, 2 MCP600 pumps with 2 Fedco#2-342 single pass cores(9.5 x 6.125 x 2”). between the 2 cores are 2 evercool 120mm fans running at about 35% power. all this in a rad box 7" tall sitting under my P180 case.

As to why I would switch back to air cooled...
well the pumps aren't that silent. steady hum that is always there even though I put the pumps on some sponges to absorb some of the vibration..
the 2 fans running between the heater cores are silent but it isn't the fans that make the noise.. it is the turbulence of the air as it hits the cores. there is about 1.5" separating the fans from the cores but I can still hear them, but the pumps are louder.
lastly a few weeks ago it would have been helpful for me to bring my PC to work... but it would have been to much of a pain to do so with the water cooling gear.
Air cooling would help my noise issues as well as make moving the box a bit easier...

I was initially hoping to get an overclock of 4Ghz or higher, but 3.6 GHz is as high as i can get stable. I got 3.7 GHz stable but not as much testing but at 3.8 it reboots when I use TAT at 100%.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2006 8:06:30 PM

Better late then sorry
Cool link
December 15, 2006 9:30:37 PM

anandtech has a bunch of reviews separated by cpu heatsink link
December 15, 2006 9:32:36 PM

Quote:
Id recommand the Tuniq tower if it fits in your case

where can i buy one?
December 15, 2006 9:40:37 PM

Well if noise is the problem that is 'easily' solveable!
For the pumps get some gel stuff from Petras, from that same site you can order some Yate Loons which are unadible at 27 inches!
If youve got a few bucks laying around I would replace the cores with radiators from Swiftech or CoolingWorks, theyre aimed at silent operation and very economically priced.
All of this should cost you around the same price of a HSF but with much lower temps and ultimately noise :D 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2006 9:49:17 PM

Bought mine here: XPSGear
Bought some fan from them : Reliable

anyway Froogle has a bunch
December 15, 2006 10:31:04 PM

So far I'm not impressed at all by the Zalman 9500. I think my Artic Freezer Pro might have been just as good/better for less $$. Ninja gave advice about this, and as usual, was right...here I wait for the AS5 to break in...still...not impressed.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 16, 2006 4:32:01 AM

:lol: 

Screw Zalman, overpriced bling bling POS. 8)
December 16, 2006 4:43:19 AM

Yep. 10 out of 10 DaClan members (including labbbby) agree. Zalman's not for us.
December 16, 2006 9:02:49 AM

The Zalman 9500 is a great cooler...as long as its packaged in its little pretty box and ready to go back to Comp USA for a refund, that is. I got up @ 1:30ish AM EST to take it out and put my Artic Freezer 7 Pro back in. ...all done.

The AF7Pro is quieter, cools better under load (in my case, anyways...and the AS5 is not even broken in so maybe I'll get another 2C) and is half the price to boot! I think I may look into a Tuniq Tower, they seem to get good reviews...basically, I want 3Ghz out of this X3060 @ less than or equal to 46-47C and that has to be quiet, this is an audio rig above all else. The only thing I don't think I like about the Tuniq Tower is that it appears that the back-plate has to be stuck on, with included adhesive, to the motherboard...seems like that'd make it harder to re-use on a motherboard upgrade. Hmmmm...

Right with the AF7Pro I'm getting 55-57C under 100% TAT load @ 2.6Ghz...maybe I'm just not getting that AS5 right. :roll:
December 17, 2006 3:44:52 AM

Quote:
Well if noise is the problem that is 'easily' solvable!

Portability is the other issue...
also another issue is space...
my stepdaughter needs a PC so I'm giving her my server..
so that means i need to move 8 hard drives into my PC as well...
water cooling just complicates it...
i will be happy with just "darn good" air cooling...

Quote:
Bought mine here: XPSGear
Bought some fan from them : Reliable

anyway Froogle has a bunch

thanks for the link... I'll look into it...
when i get it I'll post back here my temperatures for comparison..
December 18, 2006 3:09:19 AM

Just bought the Thermaltake Volcano VX (THIS THING IS MASSIVE!!!) and some Arctic Silver 5 along with two Artic Cooling 12025 fans for my case :) 

Hopefully should give me some nice results!
December 18, 2006 3:48:09 AM

i have the thermaltake Big Typhoon and it rocks. it`s a big badass cooler and does his work pretty good, way better than the zalman i had. payed only 20 euro`s for it............

keeps the c2d @ 3ghz at max. 40 degrees celcius
December 18, 2006 4:07:52 AM

Quote:
i have the thermaltake Big Typhoon and it rocks. it`s a big badass cooler and does his work pretty good, way better than the zalman i had. payed only 20 euro`s for it............

keeps the c2d @ 3ghz at max. 40 degrees celcius

I wish - try $68 AUD.

Auss is so expensive for stuff :( 
December 18, 2006 5:01:13 AM

Quote:
Auss is so expensive for stuff
But you have the professional water coolers developing new components by the day. Rejoice and save up for a LR G7 :lol: 
December 18, 2006 6:06:22 AM

I've also had good luck with previous thermaltake HSF's and will probably purchase another one for a future build. I'm looking at the Big Typhoon as well.
December 18, 2006 2:18:15 PM

After looking at the base of the tuniq tower 120 i noticed how rough it seems...
image from "OverClock Intelligence Agency"

it is possible to unscrew the 4 screws located on the bottom and then just lap it?
I'd hate to take it apart then find out it don't go back to gether all that easy...
December 18, 2006 4:34:51 PM

Just lap it with the screws on, theyre below the surface as you can see.
If you unscrew it and then dont manage to place it exactly how it was youll be loosing a lot of thermal transfering within the HSF.
December 18, 2006 5:28:22 PM

seems kinda awkward doing it with everything attached...
but i'll try...
have it ordered.. but not sure how long it will take for it to get here in Canada
!