CPU Heatsinks reviews (roundups)

nila

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2005
Hiya,
Whats a good resource (site) for working out the best CPU heatsink / cooler.

Trying to work out what to get for a new Core 2 Duo E6400 I plan to OC.

Thanks

nila

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2005
Thanks,
they're similar to what I'd managed to find via Google.

Was hoping someone might have a sight that actually compares them and gives figures between the current best ones with the temps they produce etc?

If you'll be overclocking, I'd recommend the Arctic Freezer 7. If you plan to stay at stock speeds, (God forbid) or if you'll be doing mild overclocking, I'd recommend the Scythe Ninja Rev B.

nila

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2005
Hey thanks for the advice,
loving the price of that cooler.
Combine that with the Case fans I just found that seem too good to be true ($15 each and really quiet) and I'll be saving some nice cash :)

Only concern about it is:

a) It's not recommended here: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core2Duo-Overclocking-Guide-v1-ftopict197995.html

as one that will achieve the best results for over clocking? Dont know how much that guy knows obviously but it seems like quite a thorough review so I'd guess he's probably quite clued up?

b) the fan is only 92mm instead of the 120mm that is used on most of the ones on his top listed 7 which means it wont get as much air flow for as quite a noise level and would probably not cool as well (I'm asking here not telling!).

Do you have one, and if so, whats your box OC'd to?

I want to put mine to I think around 3.1 as that seems to be whats extremely easily achievable without too many worries. I've seen alot of people do alot more than that, but for me that seems like a nice inbetween value?

nila

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2005
Hey,
just looked into that cooler alot more after your recommendation.

It's going to cost me around at least $53 to get one including shipping.
I can get the Typhoon for $60 as the place is local and I can pick it up.

Is the Freezer 7 as good as the Typhoon? its got the smaller fan which usually means less air flow so hotter?

Thanks for the help,

Just found these too:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article285-page5.html
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/624617.html

Freezer 7 doesn't seem like the best option?

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Id recommend the Tuniq tower if it fits in your case
it will fit... have a P180
but trying to find some comparison between the Tuniq tower and the Zalman CNPS9700 and can't find any...
it is only $15 difference in Canada

nila

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2005
I'm gonna get the Volcano VX.
The shop doesn't have the standard one in stock so I've gotta pay the extra $8 but supposedly it's easier to user and also has fan speed which is a nice extra touch.

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I'm currently watercooled... and thinking of switching to air cooled...
if i can maintain my OC i'd be realy happy...
What are you running? Why would you want to switch back?
OK I'm running a DD TDX, 2 MCP600 pumps with 2 Fedco#2-342 single pass cores(9.5 x 6.125 x 2”). between the 2 cores are 2 evercool 120mm fans running at about 35% power. all this in a rad box 7" tall sitting under my P180 case.

As to why I would switch back to air cooled...
well the pumps aren't that silent. steady hum that is always there even though I put the pumps on some sponges to absorb some of the vibration..
the 2 fans running between the heater cores are silent but it isn't the fans that make the noise.. it is the turbulence of the air as it hits the cores. there is about 1.5" separating the fans from the cores but I can still hear them, but the pumps are louder.
lastly a few weeks ago it would have been helpful for me to bring my PC to work... but it would have been to much of a pain to do so with the water cooling gear.
Air cooling would help my noise issues as well as make moving the box a bit easier...

I was initially hoping to get an overclock of 4Ghz or higher, but 3.6 GHz is as high as i can get stable. I got 3.7 GHz stable but not as much testing but at 3.8 it reboots when I use TAT at 100%.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Well if noise is the problem that is 'easily' solveable!
For the pumps get some gel stuff from Petras, from that same site you can order some Yate Loons which are unadible at 27 inches!
If youve got a few bucks laying around I would replace the cores with radiators from Swiftech or CoolingWorks, theyre aimed at silent operation and very economically priced.
All of this should cost you around the same price of a HSF but with much lower temps and ultimately noise :D

halcyon

Splendid
So far I'm not impressed at all by the Zalman 9500. I think my Artic Freezer Pro might have been just as good/better for less $$. Ninja gave advice about this, and as usual, was right...here I wait for the AS5 to break in...still...not impressed.