USB Cam Question

I have a logitech quickcam, latest drivers, installed as per instructions. I
have over 700mb of RAM that's been check and is working properly. And I have
a Micorsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 1.0A with the proper drivers. Both the
mouse and the cam are plugged into a USB hub with 2 other fixtures. The hub
is plugged into one of 2 usb slots in the computer itself. And I'm running
XP Professional.

My issue is...any time I try to use the cam (even in the Logitech function),
the cam will freeze and my mouse will freeze. The rest of the computer's
functions work fine, it's just the mouse.

COULD this be a USB issue? If everything else seems to be working, or could
it be a memory issue? Very curious, and I'm sure the solution is under my
nose...any advice?

Mr. Gee
7 answers Last reply
More about question

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 00:25:05 -0500, "Mr. Gee"
    <derbecker_@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >I have a logitech quickcam, latest drivers, installed as per instructions. I
    >have over 700mb of RAM that's been check and is working properly. And I have
    >a Micorsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 1.0A with the proper drivers. Both the
    >mouse and the cam are plugged into a USB hub with 2 other fixtures. The hub
    >is plugged into one of 2 usb slots in the computer itself. And I'm running
    >XP Professional.
    >
    >My issue is...any time I try to use the cam (even in the Logitech function),
    >the cam will freeze and my mouse will freeze. The rest of the computer's
    >functions work fine, it's just the mouse.
    >
    >COULD this be a USB issue? If everything else seems to be working, or could
    >it be a memory issue? Very curious, and I'm sure the solution is under my
    >nose...any advice?

    Try running the cam on the computer USB jack instead off of the
    hub. If the hub is not externally powered, It may not have enough
    power to supply the cam and other devices.

    In news:Q66Ad.14064$nV.442206@news20.bellglobal.com,
    Mr. Gee <derbecker_@sympatico.ca> the stupid moronic freak from an alien
    planet where his/her mother was a universal whore, wrote:
    > I have a logitech quickcam, latest drivers, installed as per
    > instructions. I have over 700mb of RAM that's been check and is
    > working properly. And I have a Micorsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 1.0A
    > with the proper drivers. Both the mouse and the cam are plugged into
    > a USB hub with 2 other fixtures. The hub is plugged into one of 2 usb
    > slots in the computer itself. And I'm running XP Professional.
    >
    > My issue is...any time I try to use the cam (even in the Logitech
    > function), the cam will freeze and my mouse will freeze. The rest of
    > the computer's functions work fine, it's just the mouse.
    >
    > COULD this be a USB issue? If everything else seems to be working, or
    > could it be a memory issue? Very curious, and I'm sure the solution
    > is under my nose...any advice?
    >
    > Mr. Gee

    dont plug the cam and mouse into the hub together....obviously thats the
    cause....

    i would dedicate one hub for the mouse and stuff and get another powered
    (important)

    for the webcam.. as they tend to be quite hungry things....i have a logitech
    sphere and it has its own dedicated usb2 port,,, i tried it thru a hub and
    it didnt like that......when one has things like webcams powered hubs are
    the usual... but i believe in alowing them the freedom of their own port....

    stick a usb2 card in (ebay cheap) and plug the webcam into that.. yu will
    never have trouble again

    regards slayer

    Have successfully used both the Logitech Orbit and pro4000 on a completely
    filled up Astante powered 4 port hub along with other usb things including
    Microsoft's original wireless mouse.

    "ThE SlAyEr" <phlem1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > In news:Q66Ad.14064$nV.442206@news20.bellglobal.com,
    > Mr. Gee <derbecker_@sympatico.ca> the stupid moronic freak from an alien
    > planet where his/her mother was a universal whore, wrote:
    > > I have a logitech quickcam, latest drivers, installed as per
    > > instructions. I have over 700mb of RAM that's been check and is
    > > working properly. And I have a Micorsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 1.0A
    > > with the proper drivers. Both the mouse and the cam are plugged into
    > > a USB hub with 2 other fixtures. The hub is plugged into one of 2 usb
    > > slots in the computer itself. And I'm running XP Professional.
    > >
    > > My issue is...any time I try to use the cam (even in the Logitech
    > > function), the cam will freeze and my mouse will freeze. The rest of
    > > the computer's functions work fine, it's just the mouse.
    > >
    > > COULD this be a USB issue? If everything else seems to be working, or
    > > could it be a memory issue? Very curious, and I'm sure the solution
    > > is under my nose...any advice?
    > >
    > > Mr. Gee
    >

    > dont plug the cam and mouse into the hub together....obviously thats the
    > cause....
    >
    > i would dedicate one hub for the mouse and stuff and get another powered
    > (important)
    >
    > for the webcam.. as they tend to be quite hungry things....i have a
    logitech
    > sphere and it has its own dedicated usb2 port,,, i tried it thru a hub and
    > it didnt like that......when one has things like webcams powered hubs are
    > the usual... but i believe in alowing them the freedom of their own
    port....

    > stick a usb2 card in (ebay cheap) and plug the webcam into that.. yu will
    > never have trouble again
    >
    > regards slayer

    Doesn't XP warn you that the current draw exceeds specs. I know mine does
    when I plug into an unpowered hub

    "bumtracks" <visitor@corner.bar> wrote in message
    > Have successfully used both the Logitech Orbit and pro4000 on a completely
    > filled up Astante powered 4 port hub along with other usb things including
    > Microsoft's original wireless mouse.
    >
    > "ThE SlAyEr" <phlem1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> In news:Q66Ad.14064$nV.442206@news20.bellglobal.com,
    >> Mr. Gee <derbecker_@sympatico.ca> the stupid moronic freak from an alien
    >> planet where his/her mother was a universal whore, wrote:
    >> > I have a logitech quickcam, latest drivers, installed as per
    >> > instructions. I have over 700mb of RAM that's been check and is
    >> > working properly. And I have a Micorsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 1.0A
    >> > with the proper drivers. Both the mouse and the cam are plugged into
    >> > a USB hub with 2 other fixtures. The hub is plugged into one of 2 usb
    >> > slots in the computer itself. And I'm running XP Professional.
    >> >
    >> > My issue is...any time I try to use the cam (even in the Logitech
    >> > function), the cam will freeze and my mouse will freeze. The rest of
    >> > the computer's functions work fine, it's just the mouse.
    >> >
    >> > COULD this be a USB issue? If everything else seems to be working, or
    >> > could it be a memory issue? Very curious, and I'm sure the solution
    >> > is under my nose...any advice?
    >> >
    >> > Mr. Gee
    >>

    >> dont plug the cam and mouse into the hub together....obviously thats the
    >> cause....
    >>
    >> i would dedicate one hub for the mouse and stuff and get another powered
    >> (important)
    >>
    >> for the webcam.. as they tend to be quite hungry things....i have a
    > logitech
    >> sphere and it has its own dedicated usb2 port,,, i tried it thru a hub
    >> and
    >> it didnt like that......when one has things like webcams powered hubs are
    >> the usual... but i believe in alowing them the freedom of their own
    > port....
    >>
    >> stick a usb2 card in (ebay cheap) and plug the webcam into that.. yu will
    >> never have trouble again
    >>
    >> regards slayer

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    In news:J5cAd.19396$rL3.4137@trnddc03,
    bumtracks <visitor@corner.bar> the stupid moronic freak from an alien planet
    where his/her mother was a universal whore, wrote:
    > Have successfully used both the Logitech Orbit and pro4000 on a
    > completely filled up Astante powered 4 port hub along with other usb
    > things including Microsoft's original wireless mouse.

    yeah i have too but the op doesnt mention if their hub is powered or
    not.....

    i too have had countless things in any combination of hubs but im assuming
    the op has little technical knowledge so assuming all these things im just
    being as helpful as possible....

    yu never know when it might help.....

    regards slayer
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    My hub is not powered, but worked perfectly well plugged into that hub
    before I added more RAM to my system. And everything else works swimmingly,
    it's just the cam that freezes up my mouse.

    The one variable I haven't taken into account is SP1- I had it installed
    before my upgrade (where I added more ram and a bigger hard drive), but the
    upgrade just reinstalled XP, without SP1. I've just reinstalled it and will
    be testing it accordingly. I've also installed the XP patch from Logitech.

    Frustrating...I use my webcam every 6 months or so, so it's not a serious
    inconvenience...it's just that it SHOULD work, so I'm nervous when it
    doesn't.

    Thanks, Mr. Gee
    > In news:J5cAd.19396$rL3.4137@trnddc03,
    > bumtracks <visitor@corner.bar> the stupid moronic freak from an alien
    planet
    > where his/her mother was a universal whore, wrote:
    > > Have successfully used both the Logitech Orbit and pro4000 on a
    > > completely filled up Astante powered 4 port hub along with other usb
    > > things including Microsoft's original wireless mouse.
    > >

    > yeah i have too but the op doesnt mention if their hub is powered or
    > not.....
    >
    > i too have had countless things in any combination of hubs but im assuming
    > the op has little technical knowledge so assuming all these things im just
    > being as helpful as possible....
    >
    > yu never know when it might help.....
    >
    > regards slayer

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    call me names and youre just a wacko oddball.
    call my deceased mom names and guess what
    you're one of very few listed in 'BlockSender

    "ThE SlAyEr" <phlem1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > In news:J5cAd.19396$rL3.4137@trnddc03,
    > bumtracks <visitor@corner.bar> the stupid moronic freak from an alien
    planet
    > where his/her mother was a universal whore, wrote:
    > > Have successfully used both the Logitech Orbit and pro4000 on a
    > > completely filled up Astante powered 4 port hub along with other usb
    > > things including Microsoft's original wireless mouse.
    > >

    > yeah i have too but the op doesnt mention if their hub is powered or
    > not.....
    >
    > i too have had countless things in any combination of hubs but im assuming
    > the op has little technical knowledge so assuming all these things im just
    > being as helpful as possible....
    >
    > yu never know when it might help.....
    >
    > regards slayer

Webcams Wireless Optical Mouse USB Peripherals