a Rebuild/Upgrade

So basicallly i have a pretty decent computer right now

Asus p4g8x deluxe mobo
Intel Pent. 4 2.66ghz
512 mb ram
Nvidia Geforce 6600 OC

not sure of all the stats cause its a custom that i bought from a pc store, its pretty good...but its been laggy recently so i want to upgrade. My price range is 600 max. I cant reuse the processor cause its crappy 478 socket, and i want a core 2 duo..which obviously isnt 478.

Ive looked into upgrading ram, which is the first thing that would come to mind, but i have doubts it will go much faster.

So im looking into a thrift build

I'm going to reuse my graphics card..its not a 8800 but it does fine on high textures etc.

Im also reusing my 2 hard drives, 200gb western and 100gb western IDE
i know i know sata is better but i dont want to buy new hd's, i know ill have to reformat, but i dont want to spend more on hd's.

I already have cd/dvd/floppy etc.

This is what im looking at ...

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHzLink

ECS NFORCE 570 SLIT-A (V5.1) Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI ATX Intel Motherboard Link

OGISYS Computer PS550ABK ATX12V 550Watts Power Supply With SATA and 20/24 Pin connectors link

APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-Plorer ATXB8KLW-AL Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Link

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) \link

what do you think? Its a pretty good thrift build i think, lemme know

im not 100% sure on the mobo

I want SLI capable tho, i might be getting another 6600
and i want SATA..which most have anyways..BUT MUST have IDE for my harddrives now, Intel compatible duh..775 socket... not to keen on over 100 for a mobo, i know it would be alot better, but maybe a good mobo with a cheaper cpu? Lemme know, thanks a ton. BTW this is my first like...real build.
2 answers Last reply
More about rebuild upgrade
  1. E6600 and ECS NFORCE 570 SLIT-A = $384 570 motherboards are terrible at overclocking
    or
    E6300 $181 and ASUS P5N-E SLI nForce 650i SLI $150 = $331 You should easily be able to overclock the 650i board E6700 speeds.
    Patriot 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) CL4 $125
    If you're even thinking of SLI you need a PSU that supports SLI - the one you've chosen doesnt.
    Performance wise having 2 SLI 6600 video cards isn't as good as having one decent video card. Run the comparison with the THG VGA Charts
  2. thank you very much! Ill look into these configs? anyother recommendations?

1.86ghz to 2.4ghz seems a bit much? I havnt overclocked before and would feel a bit uneasy about it. Would it still preform as well? Oops and i guess i thought that psu was sli compatible. What psu would you recommend, how many volts?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product