2GB vs. 4GB - which overclocks better?

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd like to add 2GB more to my overclocked system (X6800 @ 3.9Ghz, FSB 1500+) -- heard rumors that it is harder to retain stability with 4 x 1GB matched memory modules (in my case Patriot DDR2 PC8000). Can anyone confirm or point me to data/info show success/failure rates when overclocking at 4GB vs. 2GB?

Thanks, Rob.

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
Software notwithstanding, having 4x1GB modules will likely bring up latency issues with OCing. 2x2GB modules will make life a lot easier latency-wise.

The total amount of memory shouldn't have an effect, the number of modules will.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
WinXP will see about 3.6GB with 4GB installed (even with pagefile turned off). Vista will see 3.6GB also -- I think you mean Vista 64.

Regardless the question was about OCing 2GB vs. 4GB not OS memory limits -- I'm very familiar with those limits.

Anyone make PC8000 or higher matched pair 2GB modules? I can't find any?

Thanks, Rob.

zephquamy

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
So you have an old beta? Or are you running the newly released Corprate version?

read this from microsoft.com

"Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista Ultimate and Home Premium featuring Windows Media Center will be available. This was great news for me because I have, in addition to my 32-bit computers, both an AMD64 and an Intel 64 desktop that will be able to take advantage of 64-bit computing and run the newest version of Windows Media Center"

vista comes in both flavors.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
mpilchfamily,

Yes, there are many flavors of Vista. If "normal" RTM of Vista Home, Vista Home Premium, Vista Business, and Vista Ultimate are ALL 32bit. You have to elect to install a 64bit version -- I have MSDN universal subscription so I can get whatever I want.

When you see the new games coming out soon, you will upgrade, everyone will upgrade, it will be the primary reason for folks to upgrade. IMHO, it's the only reason I will install Vista, but I agree, other than that Vista offers nothing -- this is how Microsoft "Leverage" their platforms.

FYI, there is no technical reason there can't be a DX10 for WinXP, Microsoft have elected not to produce DX10 for WinXP because they know that would significantly reduce their revenue from Vista sales.

Rob.

Arrowyx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Anyone make PC8000 or higher matched pair 2GB modules? I can't find any?
The only matched pair 2GB modules I've seen are DDR2-800 but that was just a quick look on Newegg. I don't think you'd be able to find some quite that fast though, there aren't many people that would benefit from using 4GB over 2GB so those kits aren't really focused on. As for the OC'ing, the number of slots filled has more to do with the limits than the overall result although larger 2GB modules will have to run looser timings when compared to similar speed 1GB modules.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
The reason why its a tad tougher to OC on 4 banks is because you are stressing the memory controller more than its desired, and running 2T doesnt magically solve this problem. But from the performance youre getting from 4GBs it is worth it to loose a few Mhz :lol: