Desperately need help!!

le15

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I have been trying to set up my wireless network but it will not work. I have tried everything. I have a u.s. robotics wireless adapter and a buffalo WHR-G54S router. Anybody please help me!

Comp. Specs
athlon 64 3000+
asrock 939NF4G-SATA2
1 GB corsair valueselect

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
It always best to start with a clean slate, if you have been trying abuch of stuff. I assume you can connect to the internet through the router with the wired PC.

Are you using MS Zero config or the utility that came with the USR card? Most routers can not use 256bit encryption that the USR offers. I use the MS Wireless Zero Config. The USR has a Setting that I do not like. It like ms will aut connect to any OPEN System. In MS you can disable this, DO SO. In the USR sotware you can not. There is a work around, but I don't like it.

Disconnect the modem from the router, security till it is setup.

1. Set the router to G only if you have no b hardware. Change SSID (have broadcast on)
2. Turn off any firewall software you may be running. This is where all the problems accour.
3. Have all security turned off (router). NO WEP or WPA, OPEN
4. see if you can now connect. (if not firewall most likely)
5. if so add WPA-TKIP security to the wireless router. Write the pass phrase down. Use A-Z,a-z, 0-9, !@#$%^&*()?>< enter the max the router will take. Or go to grc.com and copy one of their encription keys, then copy and paste.
6. Now add the exact same key to the USR/MS zero config setup. The key is case sensitive. This is hard to do with long keys, so take you time and get it right.
7. Test. If all went well are connected.
8. now its time to add turn back on the firewalls.
9. Plug the router back into to modem.
10. test you connection to the internet,
11. if not turn fire wall off and verify you can still get out.
12. If firewall blocking you will need to unblock the port.
You can just use the NAT firewall in the router, and drop the software firewall, to free up resources.

In MS port config> advanced Set to AP only.

This should help you trouble shoot your connection. It's not difficult, just tedious.