Looking for help for my system...

dpro

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Basically I built my system, using parts I picked out and hoped would make a good computer together.

I got a
AMD X2 4400+
evga 7800GTX w/ACS3 (256MB)
2x1GB OCZ Platinum EB PC-4000 RAM
MSI K8N Diamond Plus
2 x 250 GB Seagate Barracuda 3gb/s drives

My computer has awful perfomance on many games, seriously terrible performance under any particular loads. My temps hover around 32C and 35-36C under load, and my gfx card runs around 65C under load.

I've tried reinstalling Windows, and I've not noticed anything improving, and I've installed new drivers, which also hasn't helped. My 3dmark scores are normal, but my perfomance seems awful, my graphics seem to go into intermittent periods of being extremely slow and often feels like I am watching a slide show instead of animated visuals.

Any ideas? Thanks.

cmsvmylo

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
As you say you have used the latest drivers for your system (g. card, mobo etc). Try installing another graphics card close to the typical performance of a 7800gtx if available (e.g. from a friend) and see if you have the same problems. You could try your card to another pc as well. Probably that way you will have an idea if it's the g.card or something else on the pc that's causing the problem. Also you don't say what psu you have. A 400W psu should be a minimum for you. 500W sounds better.

dpro

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Yeah I noticed that way too late. Heh wasn't paying attention and was used to a different BB.

In any event, I have a 120mm fan in front of my HDD cage which would just clip the 6 pin pci-e power adapter hence why I put it in the second slot. I suppose I could remove or rearrange my case a bit but I was hoping not to have to do that if possible, but if the first slot would result in much better performance I might have to do that. Thanks.

Edit:
So basically the second slot should only be used as SLI? I kept reading that people found that it was ok either way. Honestly I would think either slot (both 16x) would be usable, but then again, its hard to say for sure. Thanks, and hopefully this will fix my problems!

So for a sonata 2 case, is a 120mm in front of the hdd still needed? I would assume it would be ok to keep the case at a reasonable temp even without it, but I want to make sure so I don't get overheating issues instead.

dpro

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Ahhh I found it!

I suppose it was stupid but I had been underpowering my card, no wonder I was having such horrible issues.

It came with a PCI-power adapter splitter and unfortunately I only plugged a single molex connector in, instead of two. I had completely forgotten and when I had put it together I stupid assumed one would be enough.

Well thanks for the help, but seems it was my own stupidity. If anyone has these issues where a card works but badly, could be they forgot to plug the correct power plug in. :roll: