Sign in with
Your question

System freeze when moving large files

Last response: in CPUs
December 14, 2006 6:04:25 AM

Hello all. My system was running fine for the past 3 months, until recently I realize it got a problem when I move a large file from location to location(eg, partition a to partition b, hard drive a to hard drive b). The system just freezes during the movement, I have to press restart physically on the front panel.
I have tried everything I could think of, I clear all bios setting to the default so it's not the overclock(by the way, the system is stable with 24hours of dual primes or 24 hours of orthox), it's not ram because I could run memtest86+ for many hours, I have tried to install a new fresh window xp into a standalone hard drive, when I move files from 1 external hard drive to the other it freezes, it's not software(eg, virus) because when I install my clean window xp pro I have my system physically disconnect from internet.
Does anyone else ever have a problem similar to mine? any kind of input will be greatly appreciated.

ps: thanks in advance, and please excuse my English, I crump all my thoughts and words together together.
December 14, 2006 7:33:14 AM

I guess you had sp2 for winxp and latest drivers for your mobo (specifically for the sata controller) and latest bios. I would also check the cables and as last possible solution repartition the hd.
December 14, 2006 7:58:32 AM

Try doing a similar thing under Knoppix or other Live Linux distro.

If it still happens then it's a hardware problem, something is goosed - you need to start swapping things till you figure out what.

If it doesn't happen it's a Windows issue or a driver issue.
Related resources
December 14, 2006 8:19:21 AM

Sounds like you might want to join lewbaseball from the

Fried Drive Thread

in a bar tonight so you can both cry in your beers.

I really wonder why people think I'm an obsessive compulsive Monk clone when I keep full weekly back ups offsite 10 miles away, and I'm discussing setting up a RAID 0+1 on top of that!

Maybe I should change my sig to:

Back up, Back up, Back up and when you're done backing up, Back up some mo'!

:lol: 
December 14, 2006 8:22:21 AM

is it possible that the partitions where you move to a fat32 filesystem has?
because the maximum filesize for a fat32 drive is +/- 4GB so, when moving an iso from a single layer DVD which has a size of 4.8GB could become a problem.
December 14, 2006 8:31:41 AM

You lost me. Not easy setting up 4GB partitions on a 250GB HD. You can do it, but you'll end up with about 60 of 'em!

BTW, sig changed. 8)
!