Crytek: Closed Single-Player Must Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenewnumber2

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Don't the "cloudies" understand that there are hundreds of millions of people whose internet connection is inadequate for online gaming, or perhaps they just don't care? Outside of urban areas, there is a huge population that has no ability to participate in any kind of cloud-based activity that requires a low-latency connection. This is going to be true for many years to come. Perhaps it is a good idea in principle, but until high speed internet is brought to the masses, it's premature, and will effectively shut out a large percentage of the population (a.k.a. "customers").

No way......I'm sick of this social stuff being thrown in my face, sometimes I just want to sit back and play a game for fun alone by myself in peace and quiet.

Single player is single player, don't try to fix what isn't broken.

If this made sense, then why haven't books, movies or TV become social? I'm not saying social games are of no value, just that restricting the user experience makes absolutely no sense (i.e. shoehorning "social" into something that doesn't call for it is doing no one any favors) . Imagine a world where you need to be "connected" to read a book or watch a movie. That is the world that is being promoted by these idiots.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]I hear there's this super cool place you can go. It's called "outside". Or something like that[/citation]

Yo, you got problems with games being loaded with DRM? I heard this awesome place called "BitTorrent" where your computer doesn't get infected with a DRM rootkit nor do you have to put up with silly DRM BS (such as only three installs allowed per CD).

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
EDIT: And should the developer ever pulls the plug or goes bankrupt, your "legal" copy won't work anymore. But the fixed ones on BitTorrent would still work perfectly fine.

downhill911

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
So instead of creating better product they want to force product on potential victims of this annoyance and Facebook-like crap.

Or do as Badlo 3, make game with automatic saves only and every time I get disconnected I will get screwed over and over again.
FYI Your games do not sell well cuz you are nowhere near first FarCry what you hoped you would be.
FarCry was evolution in Graphics, AI, large map and good f...ing story.
Go and ask yourself what you have.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
In my opinion, F2P is a black sheep 2nd cousin version of demo/shareware software of old, where you had to buy the full on software in order to play/enjoy the rest of the game.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I disagree, F2P model can and did work well for some games. However, like any other business model, it can be butchered badly. EA's CEO proposed that they charge $1 for each clip of bullets used in a First Person Shooter game, and didn't get criticized by the shareholders or board of directors.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I could see myself paying every month for a Mass Effect universe online game, where new, quality, story driven content is being constantly added. I'd imagine it would be like watching Star Trek series every week...

MichaelSP

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Ah brilliant. Another way to take games away from people whose internet is already to terrible for Steam to even launch successfully. I guess I'll be playing lots of older games for even longer then. Internet is not globally getting faster people! Yes, for some people but there are plenty of us without fast speeds!

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
No just NO! it's retarded, I have good internet but some don't and even mine is not flawless. Its annoying when it drops packets or lags and you can't play. Its like forcing a car on someone with a combustion engine and you don't have Oxigen for the car to burn except trough a thin and unreliable hose.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]I could see myself paying every month for a Mass Effect universe online game, where new, quality, story driven content is being constantly added. I'd imagine it would be like watching Star Trek series every week...[/citation]

There is a Star Trek MMO, but it doesn't have additions that frequently, and that would likely be the actual result. I've bought into studio claims that with premium support they'd deliver this and that.. and what they really did was divert everything to some other project.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]jalek[/nom]There is a Star Trek MMO, but it doesn't have additions that frequently, and that would likely be the actual result. I've bought into studio claims that with premium support they'd deliver this and that.. and what they really did was divert everything to some other project.[/citation]

I actually tried ST online , and quit after like 20 min of play.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I swear they are trying to force PC gamers to play the consoles. I don't need another Game Distribution program. Steam is enough. I already quit some free to games that I used to pay for. It ruins the game, seriously, only rich kids win. I swear, i'll quit playing games before I switch to playing the stupid consoles, or this free to play in game transaction crap. If you think i'm just someone talking out my ass and never pay for games, I have 130 games on steam, and I swear I'll never buy into this crap.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
If this keeps up, I might have to start playing board games to get away from this insanity. Thank you very much for ruining gaming EA and Co. Back to reality for me soon.

I’m not saying that there will be no single-player experiences," he told IGN in an interview. "It could be it’s called Connected Single-Player or Online Single-Player instead."

WTF how is that any different than muliplayer. Thats like polishing a piece of crap and trying to call it a diamond. You can polish it and make it shiny but it's still a stinky turd. This whole idea of cloud based gaming and having to pay "X" amount of dollars in monthly membership fee's is is a horrible idea. If that is what gaming goes to I'm done.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Hmm. Crytek taking up the banner for always-online games at the same time that I stop buying their games and passed on their newest release, Crysis 3? Surely a coincidence. Heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.