CD Drives suddenly not being detected...

BigMike3541

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Hello everyone,

I was using my computer just fine, cd drives included...then all of a sudden they stopped working. They aren't even being detected in bios. I put together this computer myself, so I just opened up the case, but everything seems to be plugged in...

I was curious if anyone else had run into problems with their optical drives not being detected and ideas as to what might be wrong/how to fix it.

Thanks everyone

-Michael

BigMike3541

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Oh, and just some additional info that might be helpful in making suggestions, I have 2 optical drives, neither is being detected (soooo weird, they have the cds of 2 games I was playing like an hour ago still in them!). Also, the little green lights are not turning on at any point...if that means anything to anyone. The green light on my floppy drive was staying on green forever (even though of course there was no floppy in it) and I didn't think that was quite right so I took out the floppy cable belt-looking deal. I dunno if that matters at all.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
If your floppy light was solidly on all the time you had the floppy cable plugged in upside down.

You say you removed the cable - please tell me you removed it when the PC was off?

Try plugging the floppy cable in correctly (when the PC is off! :))

BigMike3541

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
My more/less full specs are:

processor - e6600
gfx card - x1900xtx
mobo - asus p5w dh deluxe
psu - seasonic s12 600watt
ram - 2gb corsair xms 667
hdds - 150gb raptor/320 gb barracuda

the opticals - nec dvd burner/lg combo drive

I think those are the main points.

I'll try to put the floppy drive back in, but I think these cables only fit in one way.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
>these cables only fit in one way.

No, floppy cables are unkeyed. At least at one end. It's some engineer's idea of a joke, as far as I know :)

TRENDING THREADS