Wich webcam?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 30, 2004 4:49:37 PM

Hi, i need a webcam for robotics and i need one with fixed focus and good
low light sensibility.
Let's say that low light sensibility is more important than fixed focus,
maybe even if it has an adjustable focus point i can always set it to a
range and leave it there.
But if there's something that can focus near and far objects (possible?)
it's welcome!

The quickcam messenger from logitech performs well in low light?
Do you know if there's a comparation somewere between cams in the quickcam
messenger price range?
Or a site with reviews? I've found something but noone reports the minimum
sensibility... and even if it's reported it's always a parameter based on
the declarations of the constructor... and they're always quite optimists...

Well, thanks for now!

More about : wich webcam

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 10:04:59 PM

When it comes to specific quality video needs, I always suggest going with a
"real" CCD camera - with the video being ported to the computer through a
video capture device. You can get a really good quality CCD cam for much
less than a comparable webcam, from my experience.

http://www.supercircuits.com is a good place to start if you just wanna look
around and compare. They have lots of low light / no light cameras - IR
illuminators, etc. Good stuff.

--
The Toe Pages:
http://www.rubbertoe.com

"Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> When it comes to specific quality video needs, I always suggest going with
> "real" CCD camera - with the video being ported to the computer through a
> video capture device. You can get a really good quality CCD cam for much
> less than a comparable webcam, from my experience.

Thanks but i need an usb device since the system hasn't got expansion slots
for video-capture boards either pci or isa.
I've got already a nice ccd cam and the impossibility to use it is quite
frustrating.
So i need a webcam.
December 30, 2004 11:59:21 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:57:44 GMT, "Roby P.I. ®"
<letaronisLEVA@liberoQUESTO.it> wrote:

>"Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> When it comes to specific quality video needs, I always suggest going with
>> "real" CCD camera - with the video being ported to the computer through a
>> video capture device. You can get a really good quality CCD cam for much
>> less than a comparable webcam, from my experience.
>
>Thanks but i need an usb device since the system hasn't got expansion slots
>for video-capture boards either pci or isa.
>I've got already a nice ccd cam and the impossibility to use it is quite
>frustrating.
>So i need a webcam.

Get a USB capture device. I think WinTV, Belkin, and even X10
make them. Plug your analog cam into this device.

http://www.usbvideoadapter.com/
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10259503&loc=...
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 12:22:08 AM

To get good functionality in low light, avoid CMOS webcams and look for
CCD webcams.

We find the Watchport/V webcam to be the best in low light . The
Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 is also good in low light.

You might also be interested in our robotic pan/tilt mounts for these
cameras.

In terms of focus, we are launching a new autofocus 26x optical zoom
pan/tilt webcam bundle soon. (The cost will be in the range of $600.)
To get the announcement, you can subscribe to our mailing list from a
link on the bottom of every page at
http://www.trackercam.com

Hope this helps.
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 1:52:27 PM

I have a watchport/V & a philips vesta pcvc 680. I get pixilating regardless
how i set the watchport resolution. With the philips webcam, no problem.
Both of the above cams are specifically used for internet chat rooms.
I have also downloaded the latestest watchport/v drivers.
Any suggestions to remedy the watchport problem would be appreciated
<announcement@eagletron.com> wrote in message
> To get good functionality in low light, avoid CMOS webcams and look for
> CCD webcams.
>
> We find the Watchport/V webcam to be the best in low light . The
> Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 is also good in low light.
>
> You might also be interested in our robotic pan/tilt mounts for these
> cameras.
>
> In terms of focus, we are launching a new autofocus 26x optical zoom
> pan/tilt webcam bundle soon. (The cost will be in the range of $600.)
> To get the announcement, you can subscribe to our mailing list from a
> link on the bottom of every page at
> http://www.trackercam.com
>
> Hope this helps.

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 4:27:38 PM

"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Get a USB capture device. I think WinTV, Belkin, and even X10
> make them. Plug your analog cam into this device.
>
> http://www.usbvideoadapter.com/
> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10259503&loc=...

That's a solution, indeed, but i need to evaluate how much power needs the
webcam and how much needs the camera and the usb video device.
Since it's going to be mounted on a battery operated robot it's required to
be the lowest possible to increase the battery duration.
The usb device sure draws little power but i need to check the camera power
rating.
I've got a smaller and less power demanding camera but it's a B/W device.
Thanks for the suggestion, i'm searching for a usb capture device in stores
around here.
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 4:27:39 PM

<announcement@eagletron.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> We find the Watchport/V webcam to be the best in low light . The
> Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 is also good in low light.

That's nice, i'll have a look at this one then.

> You might also be interested in our robotic pan/tilt mounts for these
> cameras.

No thanks, the support is integrated in the rest of the robot.
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 7:58:21 PM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:27:38 GMT, "Roby P.I. ®"
<letaronisLEVA@liberoQUESTO.it> wrote:

>"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> Get a USB capture device. I think WinTV, Belkin, and even X10
>> make them. Plug your analog cam into this device.
>>
>> http://www.usbvideoadapter.com/
>> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10259503&loc=...
>
>That's a solution, indeed, but i need to evaluate how much power needs the
>webcam and how much needs the camera and the usb video device.
>Since it's going to be mounted on a battery operated robot it's required to
>be the lowest possible to increase the battery duration.
>The usb device sure draws little power but i need to check the camera power
>rating.
>I've got a smaller and less power demanding camera but it's a B/W device.
>Thanks for the suggestion, i'm searching for a usb capture device in stores
>around here.

If you are making a set of "eyes" for a robot, then you probably
need a small wireless cam. I assume you will need wireless as it
sounds like your robot is not connected to an external power
source. People put these on their roomba robot vacuum cleaners
and such. check the links below. The cheap X10 wireless cams have
also been used in robots and such. High quality low light cams
will usually use a lot of power and cost more $$$.

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=203C-50MW-N...
http://search.ebay.com/wireless-cam_W0QQsokeywordredire...
http://www.supercircuits.com/store/departments.asp
http://www.matco.com/
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 8:32:08 PM

> If you are making a set of "eyes" for a robot, then you probably
> need a small wireless cam.

That's true, it will be the eye (one for now...) of a robot intended to
ecognise coloured objects around and track them.
But since the robot has an onboard embedded computer it's not required a
wireless webcam since the image processing tasks are done onboard.
There will be a wireless link to a desktop computer only to transmit
captured images for remote control capabilities or for more cpu-power hungry
computations.
!