Programs Don't Launch in Limited Account

Hello All:

New to this newsgroup (or any other newsgroup), but I need some help.

I have 2 users on a home computer, running XP Pro., Mr. Senior, an
administrator account, and Mr. Junior, a limited account. I installed XP
Pro, myself, as a new, complete (not upgrade) installation on a former 2000
machine. Machine is more than adequate to handle XP
Pro (memory, free disk space, etc). Programs were installed by Senior, and
meant to be available to Junior, also. Programs are major publisher types,
Word Perfect, Word, Quicken 2002, MicroSoft Streets & Trips,
etc.(Incidentally, XP is legitimate; purchased it retail, and activation
with MS went OK).

All programs launch, and work fine, in Sr. account, whether launched by
desktop shortcut, double clicking on the .exe file while displaying its
folder, etc. In Jr. account, some, but not all, including Windows Explorer,
itself, and Quicken 2002 and MS Streets and Trips, won't launch, whether
from Desktop shortcut, or double clicking its .exe file in its folder (can
only get there by opening "My Computer", and then burrowing down; can't get
to folder just by Windows Explorer). MS Streets and Trips is 2005 version.
When I try to open Windows Explorer, mouse pointer just jumps across screen,
and stays there, no hourglass; with Quicken, hour glass comes on for just
few seconds, then goes away; mouse pointer merely stays there, program
doesn't launch. On MS Streets and Trips, I get error message - "Please wait
while Windows configures MS Streets and Trips with USB GPS" then immediately
"Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product MS Streets and
Trips, 2005 with USB GPs. The windows installer cannot continue". Then,
"Fatal error during installation". If I change Jr. account to administrator,
same programs launch fine. After experiencing this on my desktop, I checked
my Lap Top which has same accounts, XP Pro already installed at purchase. I
have same problem with Quicken and MS Streets and Trips on Lap Top in Jr.
account; however, Windows Explorer works OK in Jr. account on Lap Top.Any
ideas?

On a separate note, how can I get rid of the tool tip baloons on "Log Off"
"Turn Off Computer" screen on my Desk Top. Don't have them on my Lap Top,
so I know they can be turned off somewhere.

Thanks for any help, and apologies for length.

Phil-
1 answer Last reply
More about programs launch limited account

    I don't know about Streets & Trips but when Quicken was installed, it should
    have presented the option to make it available to only the user installing
    it or for all users. As to the rest, if they didn't present such an option
    during installation see below:
    Most applications weren't designed for this type of multi-user environment.
    Such applications need to be installed in each specific user's account to
    whom you wish to grant access.

    First, be sure the account to which you wish to grant access is set to
    administrator and not limited. Install the applications to the same folder
    in which it was originally installed. This will look the same as one
    install on your hard drive but create the pointers necessary for this user
    to have access to the application.

    Once the installation is complete, you can return the account to its limited
    status if that is what you want and the user should still have access.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Philip F. Lanzafame" <pfl@lanzafame.net> wrote in message
    > Hello All:
    >
    > New to this newsgroup (or any other newsgroup), but I need some help.
    >
    > I have 2 users on a home computer, running XP Pro., Mr. Senior, an
    > administrator account, and Mr. Junior, a limited account. I installed XP
    > Pro, myself, as a new, complete (not upgrade) installation on a former
    > 2000 machine. Machine is more than adequate to handle XP
    > Pro (memory, free disk space, etc). Programs were installed by Senior, and
    > meant to be available to Junior, also. Programs are major publisher types,
    > Word Perfect, Word, Quicken 2002, MicroSoft Streets & Trips,
    > etc.(Incidentally, XP is legitimate; purchased it retail, and activation
    > with MS went OK).
    >
    > All programs launch, and work fine, in Sr. account, whether launched by
    > desktop shortcut, double clicking on the .exe file while displaying its
    > folder, etc. In Jr. account, some, but not all, including Windows
    > Explorer, itself, and Quicken 2002 and MS Streets and Trips, won't launch,
    > whether from Desktop shortcut, or double clicking its .exe file in its
    > folder (can only get there by opening "My Computer", and then burrowing
    > down; can't get to folder just by Windows Explorer). MS Streets and Trips
    > is 2005 version. When I try to open Windows Explorer, mouse pointer just
    > jumps across screen, and stays there, no hourglass; with Quicken, hour
    > glass comes on for just few seconds, then goes away; mouse pointer merely
    > stays there, program doesn't launch. On MS Streets and Trips, I get error
    > message - "Please wait while Windows configures MS Streets and Trips with
    > USB GPS" then immediately "Error 1706. No valid source could be found for
    > product MS Streets and Trips, 2005 with USB GPs. The windows installer
    > cannot continue". Then, "Fatal error during installation". If I change Jr.
    > account to administrator, same programs launch fine. After experiencing
    > this on my desktop, I checked my Lap Top which has same accounts, XP Pro
    > already installed at purchase. I have same problem with Quicken and MS
    > Streets and Trips on Lap Top in Jr. account; however, Windows Explorer
    > works OK in Jr. account on Lap Top.Any ideas?
    >
    > On a separate note, how can I get rid of the tool tip baloons on "Log Off"
    > "Turn Off Computer" screen on my Desk Top. Don't have them on my Lap Top,
    > so I know they can be turned off somewhere.
    >
    > Thanks for any help, and apologies for length.
    >
    > Phil-

Windows XP