Hey guys need to ask something

dlmacline

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Hello,

I need help.. we are setting up an AMD Sempron 3200+ (AM2) on an asrock AM2NF6G-VSTA.. we plan on putting on 2 gig PC 667 on it with NVidia 7300 GT PCI-E graphics card and a 80 gig sata 2 drive

But if we set this up we will be quite short on resources buying a decent 500w PSU.. we already have a PC case here at home but it only has 300w PSU

My question is : Is 300w enough to setup this PC with this kind of specs?The PSU is just generic but I tell you it work just fine

Thanks for the help

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Hello,

I need help.. we are setting up an AMD Sempron 3200+ (AM2) on an asrock AM2NF6G-VSTA.. we plan on putting on 2 gig PC 667 on it with NVidia 7300 GT PCI-E graphics card and a 80 gig sata 2 drive

But if we set this up we will be quite short on resources buying a decent 500w PSU.. we already have a PC case here at home but it only has 300w PSU

My question is : Is 300w enough to setup this PC with this kind of specs?The PSU is just generic but I tell you it work just fine

Thanks for the help

I agree, sounds like it should probably work but if you upgrade your CPU or your video card you should swap it out. What PSU is it anyway? If it came out of a pre-manufactured computer (Like Dell or HP), what make/model of computer did it come out?

dlmacline

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Its from an old tower case we used in our Celeron..

Its labeled CPI 350w ATX with Dual Fan..It actually came with the tower case when we bought it a year ago

we just want to try to salvage the old tower case and the PSU (if possible) into the new system so that we can save a few bucks to pay the technician who will actually assemble the PC

if this 350w PSU wont do then we have to buy another PSU 500w but a cheap one and we have to assemble the PC ourselves

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Well, anyone here will tell you that your PSU should be one of your FIRST and most important purchases. You shouldn't skimp on it. Do yourself a favor and get yourself a good, solid one. I'd hate to see your parts get damaged by an old cheap PSU. It's the lifeblood of your computer, everything runs off of it. If your system is more than 2 or 3 years old, the best policy is to build an all new one, as parts from older computers don't usually match up with newer ones very well. Sockets, power requirements, memory types, video card requirements, they all change. Your PSU is a primary part, not an afterthought. Besides, building your own computer from scratch is easier than ever, just do more research and take your time. It's fun, educational, and will give you a sense of pride. Besides, the more you know, the more money you can save and the better you'll be able to address problems in the future. Believe it or not, building a PC from scratch is about as easy as changing the oil in your car, plopping in a new air filter, and checking the tire pressure. You just have to understand the basic parts and how they fit together and what they do. You don't have to know what a crankshaft is to maintain your car, or how to set up a raid array or overclock in order to build a good basic gaming machine. There are guides all over the internet to help you build your first PC, and you can buy books too that will help guide you. Good luck!

dlmacline

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Dude thanks

We prioritized the PSU first and decided to delay the 2nd gig of RAM until me and my brother gets to save some money again then put another one into our system.. I was thinking of Vista first when we decided to setup this CPU so 2 gig was on my mind..we set it up with just 1 gig DDR-667 for now

We were able to save some $100 and we got an Enermax 535w PSU and a new casing

Thanks for the help