Regarding windows upgrade

slyphnier

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
hello everyone

i have some question that i tried looking on the web but havent got any exact answer
i currently using Dell Windows Vista ultimate and planning to upgrade to OEM Windows 7 Ultimate
1. can it works ? or i should get Dell version windows vista ultimate?

2. IF i upgrade my windows vista to 7, can i still using my windows vista ?
i am thinking to dual booting windows vista and 7, since i am planning to moving from 32bit to 64bit and i am lazy to backup mass data (if possible i just want to leave previous partition and install windows 7 in new partition)
can it works ? despite legal terms things

hope someone can answer my question

thanks in advance! :p

Jonmor68

Distinguished
"i currently using Dell Windows Vista ultimate and planning to upgrade to OEM Windows 7 Ultimate"
OEM is a full version, so yes you can install it on another partition or hdd and keep using Vista. When choosing OEM be sure to order the correct version, ie; 64 bit, as the OEM version only has one or the other in the pack, not both as in the retail version.
As for the Dell version, you would need to check with them, is it a full version, or an upgrade only?
You can't do an inplace upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit, meaning you would need to backup all your files beforehand. It's something you should do in any case when messing with the OS.
An upgrade allows you to buy the OS cheaper and you give up the right to keep using the previous OS.
As the OS Dell has installed is an OEM license anyway, therefore not transferable to another computer, you may as well get an OEM version of W7 to install on another partition without any license hassles.
I don't know what Dell charges and if they do have a full version, you will need to ask them.
Any particular reason why Ultimate, as Home Premium suits most users needs other then profesionals and is a lot cheaper.

TRENDING THREADS