  • Microsoft
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
January 11, 2005 11:50:31 PM

I've got a Panasonic Toughbook which I use for simple tasks (note-taking,
calculations, a little surfing). It works great and I would hate to throw it
away, but I am getting tired of the Win98 that it came with, which is far
inferior to XP that I have gotten used to on my main computer, and anyway is
way overdue for reinstall.

The Toughbook has a 64M CPU and a 2G HD. According to the Microsoft website,
64M is the minimum (128 recommended) and 1.5G disk space. Am I going to
encounter problems if I try to upgrade with hardware this close to the
minimum? Is it even worth it?

More about : minimum hard disk cpu question

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 11:50:32 PM

64MB is the minimum memory, 233Mhz is the minimum processor speed. the
install of XP alone, requires 1.5GB worth of the hard drive, not much room
for anything else when you get finished installing. XP is extremely
graphics intensive and likely well beyond the capability of that Toughbook,
you likely can't get XP drivers for all the hardware and assuming you could
get it installed, it would run slower than molasses on a freezing day.

You can turn off the eye candy though it won't make a lot of difference on
the setup you describe and if you do, it will look very similar to Win98.

Is it even worth it...short answer, no!

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Dave Gower" <davegow.removethis@magma.ca> wrote in message
> I've got a Panasonic Toughbook which I use for simple tasks (note-taking,
> calculations, a little surfing). It works great and I would hate to throw
> it away, but I am getting tired of the Win98 that it came with, which is
> far inferior to XP that I have gotten used to on my main computer, and
> anyway is way overdue for reinstall.
>
> The Toughbook has a 64M CPU and a 2G HD. According to the Microsoft
> website, 64M is the minimum (128 recommended) and 1.5G disk space. Am I
> going to encounter problems if I try to upgrade with hardware this close
> to the minimum? Is it even worth it?

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 11:50:32 PM

You would have much better luck with Windows 2000 Pro. However, first check
the Panasonic website to see if Panasonic has drivers for W2k or XP. With a
laptop that is vital. If the drivers are not available, don't try it.

Dave Gower wrote:
> I've got a Panasonic Toughbook which I use for simple tasks
> (note-taking, calculations, a little surfing). It works great and I
> would hate to throw it away, but I am getting tired of the Win98 that
> it came with, which is far inferior to XP that I have gotten used to
> on my main computer, and anyway is way overdue for reinstall.
>
> The Toughbook has a 64M CPU and a 2G HD. According to the Microsoft
> website, 64M is the minimum (128 recommended) and 1.5G disk space. Am
> I going to encounter problems if I try to upgrade with hardware this
> close to the minimum? Is it even worth it?

Leave it alone, or go with Win 2K as Dave Gower suggests. The hard drive is
really too small for 2k, but it will work.
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

Dave Gower wrote:
> The Toughbook has a 64M CPU and a 2G HD. According to the Microsoft

You mean 64 MB of _RAM_, right?

> website, 64M is the minimum (128 recommended) and 1.5G disk space. Am
> I going to encounter problems if I try to upgrade with hardware this
> close to the minimum?

XP under 64 MB of RAM is very slow, and I believe some features may even be
turned off. I even find XP painful with the recommended minimum of 128. 256
is my (and many others) recommended minimum, and even then you can usually
gain a lot by going to 512.

As for your hard drive, 2 GB is not going to work. A minimum XP installation
requires around 1.5 GB. And if you hope for having SP2 you better install XP
with SP2 slipstreamed, unless you want to lose another 0.5 GB. Considering
the amount of RAM you have you will also _definitely_ need a pagefile if you
even want the computer to boot, let alone get any work done. And where on
earth are you gonna fit your documents? Or applications?

> Is it even worth it?

Not unless you couple it with a major hardware overhaul as well. You will at
the very least have to double both your RAM and HD, and even then it is
going to be tight.

I see others recommend trying Windows 2000, but I think also this will be a
lot for your computer to chew on in it's current state.

The way I see it you have two viable options:

1) Stick with 98. But bear in mind that this OS is no longer supported, so
there may not be patches available to security holes that may (and will!)
turn up. Thus you should make damn sure you are protected by other means.
Make sure that you have a properly configured firewall and an updated virus
killer installed at all times.

2) Get a new computer. If you cannot bear the thought of throwing (or
giving) your Toughbook away then I suggest installing something like Linux
or FreeBSD on it. It may not make your computer a killer desktop
workstation, but it will mean you have an updated OS that the computer is
capable of running, and it can still serve a purpose. For instance it can
work as your home firewall, or a portable thin client.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 4:03:01 PM

"André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote

> 1) Stick with 98. But bear in mind that this OS is no longer supported, so
> there may not be patches available to security holes that may (and will!)
> turn up.

I realize that this isn't a Win98 newsgroup, but could I pursue this for a
moment? MS Corp is still issuing patches for 98 on their website, I just
downloaded some yesterday. Do you have any reason to suspect that they would
not continue to do that? I do use AVS plus my ISP's email anti-virus, which
seems to be working.

As to buying a new laptop, yeah I check over the stock whenever I'm in
Future Shop or Staples, but the Toughbook was a really magnificent machine
(very expensive in its time, and new ones still are) and although not the
most powerful, has a wonderful screen and keyboard feel.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 4:03:02 PM

Windows 98 Life-Cycle mainstream support ended June 30, 2002. Critical
security updates will be provided on Windows Update through June 30, 2006.

You can find more information about Windows 98 Extended support at the
following link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=LifeAn1

--

> "André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote
>
>> 1) Stick with 98. But bear in mind that this OS is no longer supported,
>> so there may not be patches available to security holes that may (and
>> will!) turn up.
>
> I realize that this isn't a Win98 newsgroup, but could I pursue this for a
> moment? MS Corp is still issuing patches for 98 on their website, I just
> downloaded some yesterday. Do you have any reason to suspect that they
> would not continue to do that? I do use AVS plus my ISP's email
> anti-virus, which seems to be working.
>
> As to buying a new laptop, yeah I check over the stock whenever I'm in
> Future Shop or Staples, but the Toughbook was a really magnificent machine
> (very expensive in its time, and new ones still are) and although not the
> most powerful, has a wonderful screen and keyboard feel.

Anonymous
January 12, 2005 11:01:48 PM

I actually thought 128 meg ram and 500mhtz Pentium III is the minimum
recommended.

From what I've read, the laptop seems to be a little to out of the depth of
Windows XP....I wouldn't bother attempting it.

"Dave Gower" <davegow.removethis@magma.ca> wrote in message
> I've got a Panasonic Toughbook which I use for simple tasks (note-taking,
> calculations, a little surfing). It works great and I would hate to throw it
> away, but I am getting tired of the Win98 that it came with, which is far
> inferior to XP that I have gotten used to on my main computer, and anyway is
> way overdue for reinstall.
>
> The Toughbook has a 64M CPU and a 2G HD. According to the Microsoft website,
> 64M is the minimum (128 recommended) and 1.5G disk space. Am I going to
> encounter problems if I try to upgrade with hardware this close to the
> minimum? Is it even worth it?

Anonymous
January 12, 2005 11:01:49 PM

In news:%23j$685J%23EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Andrew Murray <admurray@iinet.net.au> typed:

>I actually thought 128 meg ram and 500mhtz Pentium III is the
>minimum
> recommended.

No, the offical minimum is 64MB and a 233MHz processor, but that
says nothing about what's needed for adequate performance A
233MHz machine with 64MB of RAM would crawl.

How much RAM you need depends greatly on what apps you run, but
most people running common business apps need at least 256MB. And
I'd want to have a processor at least 350MHZ or so.

My wife runs Windows XP on a PII-400 with 256MB of RAM. It's
certainly no speed demon, but it's adequate for her use.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> From what I've read, the laptop seems to be a little to out of
> the
> depth of Windows XP....I wouldn't bother attempting it.
>

> "Dave Gower" <davegow.removethis@magma.ca> wrote in message
>> I've got a Panasonic Toughbook which I use for simple tasks
>> (note-taking, calculations, a little surfing). It works great
>> and I
>> would hate to throw it away, but I am getting tired of the
>> Win98
>> that it came with, which is far inferior to XP that I have
>> gotten
>> used to on my main computer, and anyway is way overdue for
>> reinstall.
>>
>> The Toughbook has a 64M CPU and a 2G HD. According to the
>> Microsoft
>> website, 64M is the minimum (128 recommended) and 1.5G disk
>> space.
>> Am I going to encounter problems if I try to upgrade with
>> hardware
>> this close to the minimum? Is it even worth it?
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:51:44 AM

"Dave Gower" <davegow.removethis@magma.ca> wrote in message

> "André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote
>
>> 1) Stick with 98. But bear in mind that this OS is no longer supported,
>> so there may not be patches available to security holes that may (and
>> will!) turn up.
>
> I realize that this isn't a Win98 newsgroup, but could I pursue this for a
> moment? MS Corp is still issuing patches for 98 on their website, I just
> downloaded some yesterday. Do you have any reason to suspect that they
> would not continue to do that? I do use AVS plus my ISP's email
> anti-virus, which seems to be working.

MS has several levels of support, which drop off over time.

But the other thing you may be facing is that other vendors will cease
supporting the 9x line. That's not going to make a difference if you run the
laptop as-is, but if you want to install new software or you need to install
some new hardware or peripheral, you may find that you can't get drivers.
!