Sign in with
Your question

Hardware Router Need To Know 2006

Last response: in Toms Network
May 16, 2006 10:57:20 PM

Everyone with a high-speed Internet connection needs a router. So why not learn how to choose the one that best meets your needs? We've updated and expanded our classic Hardware Router Need To Know to help you do just that!

More about : hardware router 2006

May 22, 2006 3:06:10 AM

Great article, great overview of router functions. Any word on QoS comming of age soon? What other options (besides running a linux box as a router) does one have for better QoS on a small LAN?
May 22, 2006 12:25:09 PM

Manufacturers are taking their time with adding QoS features. The Linksys WRT54G, GS and GL have priority-based QoS for physical and logical (application) ports.

Netgear doesn't appear to support QoS on any of its routers.

D-Link is using Ubicom's StreamEngine technology on its DGL-4300 and DI-634M routers. The good news is that this technology is automatic and seems to work well. The bad news is that it handles upstream QoS only.
Related resources
May 22, 2006 11:34:04 PM

Does the Linksys router have downstream QoS?
May 23, 2006 6:45:16 PM

Looking back at the QoS screen it's not clear whether QoS applies to upstream, downstream or traffic in both directions.

I'll need to run some tests to check.
June 9, 2006 12:32:40 PM

Many olf us have no need or use for wireless routers. I cannot find a single coherent article reference best wired router.
June 9, 2006 2:21:58 PM

Quote:
Many olf us have no need or use for wireless routers. I cannot find a single coherent article reference best wired router.

Good point. Most of the interest and products in the SOHO and SMB market for routers is in wireless.

But there is an article coming shortly that will test a number of wired-only routers.
June 9, 2006 6:41:03 PM

Netgear has QoS on their FVS 338 and 538 VPN models.
September 30, 2006 4:17:05 AM

Great article.... Is there a way to get a printable view of the article so I can have it as a reference?
!