XFX 8800 GTS problem

ilikec4ke

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Just built a system this morning, 750 watt thermaltake, Gigabyte GA-960P-DS3, E6600, 2gig xms2 and 8800GTS by XFX. Tried to plug in a view sonic and a sceptre, both report no signal. What might be the problem?

the fan spins by the way.

mpjesse

Splendid
OK. Start from scratch...

Unplug everything except the CPU, memory, and video card. If you don't get video, then the problem lies with one of those 3 components. Try reseating all the components and make sure you've got all the power connectors plugged in and in the right spots. Do you get any beep codes? If so, refer to you MB manual to decipher those codes.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Yeah, it sounds like he might have an issue with the card not sitting in PCIe slot properly or something. Reseating will probably fix it.

ilikec4ke

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
It's none of the above. So far, I've rules out motherboard and CPU, that leaves the RAM and the vidcard. I went out a brought brand new cpu and motherboards, and I get the same result. Ideas?

mpjesse

Splendid
Bad RAM will usually give you beep codes, but so will video cards. It seems to me that the video card is the mostly likely culprit. It's tough to say though.

You don't happen to have any spare RAM or video cards, do you?

Also, try using just 1 DIMM instead of both. It's much more unlikely that both DIMMs are bad... so try them both seperately. If neither work, it's almost certainly the video card.

good luck.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Yeah, Jesse speaks the truth.

And you are SURE you're not getting any beeps? Did you try swapping out the monitor cable? I'm assuming you are using DVI, right?

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I have read that on other forum some people could not get any signal with the latest Nvidia Drivers on his LCD. He had to use 96.89 drivers. I had to downgrade to 96.89 driver as well from 97.44 because i was having all kinds of trouble with my LCD display.

Try the 96.89 driver. If you search on Google you can find a bunch of places to download it from.

mpjesse

Splendid
I have read that on other forum some people could not get any signal with the latest Nvidia Drivers on his LCD. He had to use 96.89 drivers. I had to downgrade to 96.89 driver as well from 97.44 because i was having all kinds of trouble with my LCD display.

Try the 96.89 driver. If you search on Google you can find a bunch of places to download it from.

He doesn't get video in POST. Can't be a driver issue.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Yes i have realized that. It could be a setting in the BIOS. My motherboard has a setting for the PCIExpress. You can disable it and set the regular PCI slot for the main video device. I can also select the 2nd PCIExpress slot to be my main video controller slot not the 1st PCIExpress. Maybe something is screwed up in those settings for you if you have any of those in your BIOS. I would borrow a video card from one of your friends and give it a try. It could also be your PSU but i doubt it.

MrMr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Always a tough one when there are no beeps to point you in the right direction. Is the 4 pin Molex connected to your board?
As for beeps, I have the 965 S3 and I barley hear a beep on startup. I mean almost inaudible. Listen closely.

XFXSupport

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
Thats a tough one. I see that neither the old or new video card made a difference. On your link you stated you tried the monitor on another system, does the second system you monitor worked on was that DVI or VGA output on your video card. If it was VGA output then check to see if the monitor is an auto detect or if you need to select DVI input. Keep us posted.

XFX Support

hardcoregamer

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
hi all i have just built a new sytem and here are my specs

Intel Core 2 DUO E6600
MSI 975X Platinum PowerUP Edition
Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-5400C4 TwinX (2x1GB)
XFX geforce 8800 gts
Western Digital 250gb hard drive sata 2
Pioneer DVR-111D 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter

and i got this case with a power supply in it i dont no if it will handle my system i was wondring could you help me out here are the specs for the case and power supply

http://www.pixmania-pro.co.uk/uk/uk/antec/tx-1088amg-pc-case/133492/fiche.html