E6700 Asus P5W DH Deluxe - Total Timid Newbie Needs Help

GhostX

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
Hi there..

I have never overclocked and just got my rig up and running a little bit ago. From everything I hear its stupid not to OC a E6700. So I am willing to try. I have a great HSF on the the rig (Zalman see below in sig)

The thing is I have read the guide to OC and I am wondering if anyone with my mainboard might be able to tell me exactly what needs to be done.

The multipliers etc kinda scare me.. I dont wanna sound timid but well.. never did it before its alot of cash and I am curious.

Can anyone teach me and give me the settings I will need..

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Your build is far too high spec and valuable to Overclock if you are unsure of what you are doing. Why would you overclock a top of the range PC 8O

Are you really prepared to FRY that lot, just because very experienced members say it is cool to overclock!

I would not risk it, and I have a much lower spec than you. :D

mr_sack

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
I am new at this too, but I would say follow the sticky guide for overclocking the Core 2 Duos. From what I read it seems to a really safe gradual way to overclock, checking to make sure it's stable every step you take. I will be getting an E6400 in a few weeks and hopefully going to try to OC it to 3 or 3.1 GHz, which is apparently pretty easy and safe according to everything I've read. If you want to overclock just make sure you ask lots of questions and get friends to help you if you have any that have overclocked before.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Your build is far too high spec and valuable to Overclock if you are unsure of what you are doing. Why would you overclock a top of the range PC 8O

Are you really prepared to FRY that lot, just because very experienced members say it is cool to overclock!

I would not risk it, and I have a much lower spec than you. :D

With his setup he can just install the Asus Overclocking tools I forgot what the proper name is and load a temp monitoring tool like core temp. Get a baseline and crank it up. In my system this hardly effected my temps at 30% OC on E6600. There is very little risk using the Asus tools

I use manual setting now

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
With his setup he can just install the Asus Overclocking tools I forgot what the proper name is and load a temp monitoring tool like core temp. Get a baseline and crank it up.

The proper overclocking technique is through BIOS, and not software utilities.

Hey Computronix... what are your CPU temperatures (idle and load)

Thanks

GhostX

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
Well I just wanted to see how hard it would be to get to 3.0 or higher and what it would do to my 3dmark06 scores... I get 6400 points now

CompuTronix

Intel Master
My 3DMark06 score is 7003.

Understand that there are no solid state devices 100% identical. Every piece of silicon is unique, and as such, has different basic properties of electronics such as resistance, capacitance, inductance, impedance, and transconductance.

Although two consecutive serial number CPU's from the same fabrication, with the same stepping codes, may appear identical, they're yielded from different location on the silicon wafer from which they're manufactured, and like diamonds, each has it's own unique flaws.

Even though their dynamic operational characteristics may be very similar, no two CPU's will overclock to exactly the same stable maximum speed, at the same voltage and temperature. Additionally, in a dual core processor, one core will always become unstable before the other.

Hope this helps. Good Luck! :D

GhostX

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
Weird we are about tied on the 05 scores.

Do you see much benifit from the Raptor on raid0? Have you tried it without? I was thinking of getting another but I would need to get a PCI raid controller or activate JMicron (which I am not a fan of)..

I would need to reinstall my OS if I put it on raid though I imagine.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Do you see much benifit from the Raptor on raid0? Have you tried it without?

Yes, absolutely, and yes, I have run a single Raptor for comparison tests.

I was thinking of getting another but I would need to get a PCI raid controller or activate JMicron.

The Intel RAID controller is much faster than the Silicon Image (EZ Backup) or the JMicron.

I would need to reinstall my OS if I put it on raid though I imagine.

It's not necessary to reinstall anything. I have a method, using Norton Ghost, to migrate your entire software suite onto RAID0. :D

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Overclocking is Overclocking. The Asus tool is just safer. I suppose you wouldn't consider me using a tuner to tune my car a proper solution because I didn't do it myself. Which is more or less the function of the Asus tool for the novice. In the car analogy I would be risking a $14k engine.

Doing it manually which I consider acceptably safe with Core 2's takes a little readily available research. There is nothing wrong with using tool to help you get there while you learn.