How do you make partitions?

Gofra

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Hi I'm an older noob and I've read about parting your hd my ? is how do you do it? I have a 40 g segate which I will be replacing next fall but for now I'd like to get my pc to preform more efficient. So is it still possible to do now or do i have to wait and do it on a new one? And how do I get the OS to load fisrt and should i put my games on it also? :?:

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
go to Start>Control Panel>Admin Tools>Computer Management>diskmanagement

You do it from there. I am not sure if you can shrink C: and keep it with your Operating System whilst you create E: or F: or whatever its going to be.

You may have to partition, format, and reinstall your OS on the c: drive, but there is a good Help Section in there.

Good Luck :lol:

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Both Windows and Linux allow you to create and delete partitions after you boot from the install CD ( you may have to change the boot device order in your BIOS settings to be able to boot from CD).

The installer asks you where you want to install the operating system, and gives you a chance to create/delete partitions at that time before it starts the install. This means if you just want to change partitions but not reinstall the OS you can still use the install CD, but you should reboot after you have saved your partition table changes and before it starts installing.

Note that if you delete existing partitions you obviously lose all the files they contain, and if you create a new partition, you still need to format it before you can use it.