cannot uninstall potential harmfull program

just finished downloading and installing an IP provider's security service
with anti-virus and firewall, after the installation my security service put
up an alert recommending i uninstall the freeware from Lavasoft, AD Aware
Personal SE. i wasn't thrilled with the idea to begin with cause i've been
very satisfied with the software. the reason for the uninstall was the
possibility of there being a negative effect on system performance when the
software was run. the problem, though, is that i cannot uninstall the
program. add and/or remove programs cannot remove because of an "can't open
INSTAL.LOG file" alert. when i try the uninstaller tool in the C Cleaneer,
another wonderfull freeware download, i get the same alert. deleting the
icons before uninstalling is no good. even though i would like to keep using
the great program, the fact that i can't uninstall it has become worrisome,
even if it's compability issue with my security service never effects system
performance. i guess i'll try to download the program again and install the
new download over it.
--
thanks, and may all our questions be answered
3 answers Last reply

    Go to the "Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Plus" folder in your Start menu

    2. Run "Uninstall Ad-Aware SE Plus"

    3. Select Uninstall Method

    Select "Automatic" and click "Next"

    4. The uninstall of Ad-Aware SE Plus is completed when the program exits

    --
    Mary Sauer MS MVP
    http://office.microsoft.com/
    "adam S." <frustration@windows.sp> wrote in message
    > just finished downloading and installing an IP provider's security service
    > with anti-virus and firewall, after the installation my security service put
    > up an alert recommending i uninstall the freeware from Lavasoft, AD Aware
    > Personal SE. i wasn't thrilled with the idea to begin with cause i've been
    > very satisfied with the software. the reason for the uninstall was the
    > possibility of there being a negative effect on system performance when the
    > software was run. the problem, though, is that i cannot uninstall the
    > program. add and/or remove programs cannot remove because of an "can't open
    > INSTAL.LOG file" alert. when i try the uninstaller tool in the C Cleaneer,
    > another wonderfull freeware download, i get the same alert. deleting the
    > icons before uninstalling is no good. even though i would like to keep using
    > the great program, the fact that i can't uninstall it has become worrisome,
    > even if it's compability issue with my security service never effects system
    > performance. i guess i'll try to download the program again and install the
    > new download over it.
    > --
    > thanks, and may all our questions be answered

    Hi Adam,

    First thing to try is reinstalling the software to recreate the missing or
    damaged uninstall log. This usually resolves the problem.

    As a note, there won't be a performance hit if the software is not actively
    running. The warning is there because too often people make the mistake of
    having multiple programs running that are actively scanning the system. As
    long as Adaware (or any other spyware removal program) is not actively
    scanning, there should not be a conflict with the installation of the other
    security software.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "adam S." <frustration@windows.sp> wrote in message
    > just finished downloading and installing an IP provider's security service
    > with anti-virus and firewall, after the installation my security service
    > put
    > up an alert recommending i uninstall the freeware from Lavasoft, AD Aware
    > Personal SE. i wasn't thrilled with the idea to begin with cause i've been
    > very satisfied with the software. the reason for the uninstall was the
    > possibility of there being a negative effect on system performance when
    > the
    > software was run. the problem, though, is that i cannot uninstall the
    > program. add and/or remove programs cannot remove because of an "can't
    > open
    > INSTAL.LOG file" alert. when i try the uninstaller tool in the C
    > Cleaneer,
    > another wonderfull freeware download, i get the same alert. deleting the
    > icons before uninstalling is no good. even though i would like to keep
    > using
    > the great program, the fact that i can't uninstall it has become
    > worrisome,
    > even if it's compability issue with my security service never effects
    > system
    > performance. i guess i'll try to download the program again and install
    > the
    > new download over it.
    > --
    > thanks, and may all our questions be answered

    thanks rick i'll keep the software installed, and there was no folder in the
    start menu-all programs, only an icon pinned to the start menu that had link
    to an uninstall file. thanks to everyone for their time and effort.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Adam,
    >
    > First thing to try is reinstalling the software to recreate the missing or
    > damaged uninstall log. This usually resolves the problem.
    >
    > As a note, there won't be a performance hit if the software is not actively
    > running. The warning is there because too often people make the mistake of
    > having multiple programs running that are actively scanning the system. As
    > long as Adaware (or any other spyware removal program) is not actively
    > scanning, there should not be a conflict with the installation of the other
    > security software.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "adam S." <frustration@windows.sp> wrote in message
    > > just finished downloading and installing an IP provider's security service
    > > with anti-virus and firewall, after the installation my security service
    > > put
    > > up an alert recommending i uninstall the freeware from Lavasoft, AD Aware
    > > Personal SE. i wasn't thrilled with the idea to begin with cause i've been
    > > very satisfied with the software. the reason for the uninstall was the
    > > possibility of there being a negative effect on system performance when
    > > the
    > > software was run. the problem, though, is that i cannot uninstall the
    > > program. add and/or remove programs cannot remove because of an "can't
    > > open
    > > INSTAL.LOG file" alert. when i try the uninstaller tool in the C
    > > Cleaneer,
    > > another wonderfull freeware download, i get the same alert. deleting the
    > > icons before uninstalling is no good. even though i would like to keep
    > > using
    > > the great program, the fact that i can't uninstall it has become
    > > worrisome,
    > > even if it's compability issue with my security service never effects
    > > system
    > > performance. i guess i'll try to download the program again and install
    > > the
    > > new download over it.
    > > --
    > > thanks, and may all our questions be answered

Windows XP