What happened to Dr. Thomas Pabst??

But wasn't the link to it, having been posted by a new member who just happened to find this thread and contribute, just a little strange.

Maybe Dr. Pabst has become a MAC user in later life and just wants us to know he's OK. :D

Poptech

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Here is the most recent picture I could find of him from 2009 attending some sort of watch appreciation day (Paneristi P-Day),

pday844.jpg

Caption: "Marion, Thomas and Victoria Pabst, together with Hagen Warich from Germany."

P-DAY#8 in Firenze, part 3 "Friday in Firenze"

carlsjunior

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
I was searching in Google to find out the background of my estate's management council member (and neighbour) Dr Thomas Pabst and was surprised to see his photos online and that he is the founder of the Tom's Hardware Guide website that I used to visit often years ago.

Thomas is now staying in a 2-storey town house unit at my condominium estate in Singapore. He just had a months-old infant son with a local Chinese wife.

I would try to snap a photo of him if I can ...

Given that he has chosen to lead a very private life, I think it would be inappropriate to publish an unauthorised photo of him. It would be nice just to tell him how grateful many thousand of folks are for the Forum he founded.

carlsjunior

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

Yes on second thoughts it is inappropriate. I am grateful too as his site provided me great knowledge many years ago when I was still addicted to over-clocking and PC stuff. I never expect to bump into the guru himself in my little corner and becoming a neighbour. Anyway, let's keep his private life private...

carlsjunior

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

It's not difficult nor intrusive to search his name in Facebook. You should see public photos of Thomas and his young family in Singapore.

I have nothing more to add other than to say that he seems to have taken up a new interest with his bikes. Maybe he has no more interest in CPUs and systems benchmarking ....

carlsjunior

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Founder of Tom's Hardware, Dr Thomas Pabst. joins VR World, a IT media company headquartered in Singapore:

http://www.vrworld.com/2015/03/16/vr-world-names-it-industry-veteran-dr-thomas-pabst-as-fellow/

1185087_10200262577110349_1785795905_n-871x641.jpg

Singapore and Taipei (Taiwan) – March 17, 2015: In conjunction with the start of Supercomputing Frontiers 2015 conference in Biopolis Singapore, we are proud to announce the return of one of industry legends to the ever-hot computing arena. Dr. Thomas Pabst is joining VR World as Industry Fellow, a newly formed think tank of opinion leaders which can share their wealth of experience and positively influence new developments.

In 1996, Dr. Pabst founded Tom’s Hardware as one of the first globally recognized technology publications. Over the next 11 years, Dr. Pabst built a media organization which spans across North America, Europe and Asia.

In a new role as an Industry Fellow, Dr. Pabst will work closely with Mr. Nebojsa Novakovic and Mr. Theo Valich, founders and publishers of VR World media publications on building an independent organization focused solely on evolving the global media scene. “We view the world of tech media as stagnant and predictable”, said Mr. Valich. “The way how the current media scene operates stipulates a direct relationship between the allegedly independent news outlets and vendors using third party marketing and PR agencies which dictate what content is allowed to be published… or face expulsion from the limited number of media/blogging/analyst-turned-blogger/journalist seats.”

“The arrival of Dr. Pabst is just the beginning of a new think tank which will operate independently of PR and marketing agencies, focusing on predicting and depicting future technology trends. The world where organizations maximize every available fund in the budget can only be enabled by enabling an open path between ideas turning into projects, projects turning into technology, technology turning into products and ultimately positively impacting the world around us,” Mr. Novakovic added. “With Tom’s unparalleled understanding of the PC ecosystem and its key vendors on both sides of the Pacific, we are on board to lead the next generation charge.”

VR WORLD Pte. Ltd. plans to expand the newly established think tank enabling new industry initiatives. More announcements are to follow.

Mr. Sam Reynolds
Email. Sam@vrworld.com
Web. www.vrworld.com
Twiter. @vrworlddotcom

###

VR WORLD Pte. Ltd. is an independently owned dynamic consulting and media company, which publishes VRWorld.com as well as specialized publications for scientific and business community. Headquartered in Singapore with outlets in California, Croatia, Hong Kong and Taiwan, VR WORLD works on delivering news, analysis, interviews and reviews from the dynamic world of ‘computing everywhere’.