cpu fan wont go

stiv

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
just got a e6400 core2duo on a gigabyte ga-965gm-s2 and the cpu fan wont go,do you have to set this in bios? or is the fan stuffed

Check your bios settings, and also any manufacturer's monitoring software (if installed). My old socket 754 2800 rarely used the fan. I had a zalman fan mate 1 rpm adjuster set on the lowest setting, so the fan only came on when needed. It stayed off about half the time. But you may also have a bad fan plug on your motherboard. Try testing it with any regular fan with a 3 pin lead, and see if it works.

BoomBatz

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
just put some good thermal paste on the CPU, like arctic 5. If you use that, then there really is no need for the cpu fan at all. It is just sucking up electricity needlessly.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
just put some good thermal paste on the CPU, like arctic 5. If you use that, then there really is no need for the cpu fan at all. It is just sucking up electricity needlessly.

With stock cooling you WILL need the fan, and with stock cooling the stock paste tends to perform equally well as AS5 assuming you haven't removed and reapplied the Heatsink (which means the stock paste needs replacing).

The CPU fan should turn, if it doesn't there is either a wire caught in it (the stock fan is very open to this), its not plugged in right, or the fan header or fan itself is buggered.

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Boombatz is WRONG. The cpu fan must work, otherwise the CPU will overheat and shut down. In some cases, it could be damaged.

The thermal paste helps to conduct the intense CPU heat into the heatsink, which is cooled by air, and the fan is essential to blow this hot air out of the case, or rather, towards another case fan, which extracts the hot air from the case.

Check there is nothing in the BIOS like Qfan enabled, which slows down the fan.

For best performance, the fan should run at full speed all the time. The cooler everything is, the better. :lol:

BoomBatz

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
whatever dude, i have a e6800 that i have fanless, with just the paste. It rock and rolls. And it cuts down on the weight and vibration. And it is almost silent. The only thing that you hear is the barely audible water being pumped through the water block.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Water cooling is a little different to Air cooling. The fact that he has a CPU fan indicates it is unlikely he is using water.

The fact that you are using water means that, pump+radiator+waterblock+water, you have MORE weight than an aircooling system, not that I'm sure what difference it makes....

ibticktock

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I have a 6600 with a Gigabyte P965 DS3 and have had the same problem. The fan comes on and off. Yesterday and today it just stopped and stayed that way while the temps rose and rose and rose. I got into the BIOS and changed the way that it was regulating the fan speed from Auto Detect to On All The Time. I also told it to not automatically pick the right pin connection type from the fan to the board. The system has been running over 12 hours now with the side door off so I can watch things. I also have CoreTemp in my system tray where it tells me the correct temp. It's at 35 just doing some different things. Try looking at your BIOS setting for the fan. That may be where the problem is.