Intel 45nm Tapeout Complete

First off, I don't have any sources I can actually reveal. So if you chose, take this as a grain of salt or just call it rumors. All I say is that this info came from someone close to Intel. Actually, I am hoping this info is already out somewhere on the web or soon will be. So if you have the link please share. Thanks

1). As expected, Intel just completed tapeout of Penryn (moble) the leading product for 45 nm technology. Mfg has begun!!

2). New instructions SSE4 for Vectorizing complier, media Accelerators. Also SSE4 for efficient, accelerated, string and text processing.

3).Intel is using a revolutionary 45nm process using 193nm dry lithography. As a comparison, the 193nm immersion lithography is currently planned by IBM/AMD which is more expensive and still under development for high volume mfg.
51 answers Last reply
More about intel 45nm tapeout complete
  1. Tell the Inq. They'll print anything. But you have to make the news sound anti-intel or they won't even listen to you.
  2. Cool thanks for sharing, we shall see some stuff pop up =)
  3. Your information is incorrect.
  4. A lot of SSE4 is rumored to be centered around 64-bit processing. Anyone have any speculation on what this will do to 64-bit benchmarks? Since Intel "borrowed" x86-64, will AMD then "borrow" SSE4 (like SSE1, 2 and 3)?
  5. Quote:
    Your information is incorrect.

LOL, give it a day or two. I sense a disturbance in the force, like millions of AMD fanboys crying out and then silence.

According to Anandtech, the 65nm Processors are just more cannon fodder for Intel. 8O
  6. Quote:
    Tell the Inq. They'll print anything. But you have to make the news sound anti-intel or they won't even listen to you.

LOL
  7. Quote:

LOL, give it a day or two. I sense a disturbance in the force, like millions of AMD fanboys crying out and then silence.

According to Anandtech, the 65nm Processors are just more cannon fodder for Intel. 8O

Actually, Jk is right.

My stance: no comment. :)
  8. Quote:

Not the best way of going about a counter argument.

Why? Because!

No really, why? Because ok?!

Makes you look like that.
  9. and has been made public knowledge in the past week.

But this brings me to an interesting question:

Is this a mis-step for intel? Hear me out -- with immersion lithography, it is possible that IBM/AMD can close the die size gap (and consequently the poly width gap) to the point where the IBM/AMD transistors will be competitive to intel's offereings?

While immersion may "not be ready for primetime", i suspect that it's rather closer than people are willing to admit. And it may allow for a more aggresive shrink that intel. In such a scenario, I could imagine that the manufacturing dominace intel now holds may be broken -- for this technology. Given that AMD's architecture still seems to hold a bit more oomph over intel's (but not nearly as much as it used to), may we see a generation of AMD dominance -- this time process-based?
  10. Yes Penryn tape out is complete, you are correct, and this is according to revised roadmap on schedule? It will be interesting to see what the performance metrics will be :D
  11. Well,

It's obvious Intel really wants to keep the process shrink ahead of AMD. Or maybe they want to keep it small as possible for profit. Since, AMD obviously did fine with 90nm over Intel's 65nm other than profits. It would be interesting if AMD did get a big win with immersion. Another Intel folly, or maybe, an AMD folly if it doesn't work out.

wes
  12. He's an Intel insider.
    So if he says so, probably it means he can't tell more than that yet.
  13. Quote:
    Given that AMD's architecture still seems to hold a bit more oomph over intel's (but not nearly as much as it used to), may we see a generation of AMD dominance -- this time process-based?

What architecture advantage do you see? 8O
    AMD is behind in terms of architecture and process right now, plain and simple.
  14. Quote:

I'm taking it from the Intel guy.
  15. Well he does work for intel. Already provided accurate information in the past.
  16. Quote:
    I am not so sure he is an intel guy
    looks like 45nm did tape out for real

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6139487.html

hmm, didn't realize it was already reported. Yeah, vendors should soon be getting samples to do start evaluating for builds.

I am just curious how far along AMD is? Intel taped out the 45nm, this means it works but does not tell how mature the manufacturing process is and if it is ready for a ramp yet.

AMD did a "hands off" demo of a product that they are saying is ready for ramp now to be released in mid-2007. Yet, by doing a hands off demo it suggests that the product is not a good canidate for the market. This confuses me. I think they might have a real steamy turd on their hands.

Intel is quick. AMD's silence about its "next great thing" is deafening.
  17. Quote:

Why? Because!

Yea, it would be good to know what specifically is incorrect and what the real truth is. But JK probably wants to keep his job at least till his prescheduled early termination package arrives.
  18. Quote:

Why? Because!

Yea, it would be good to know what specifically is incorrect and what the real truth is. But JK probably wants to keep his job at least till his prescheduled early termination package arrives.Saucy boy!!! LOL :wink:
  19. Quote:
    amd being quiet like this is hard to bear. last i checked they dont even have good yeilds with 65nm yet and 45nm is 2 years away. i dont see how they are going to make allot of profits with so little product. vista is coiming out in a month or so and i would have thought amd would be trying to flood the market with product to try to capture sales with all the new vista sales. but instead they bought ati. a fab would have been better.

a fab would be better for a short length of time, but however AMD chose to go for the long term by buying ATI, im sure u will change what u said in just 2 years.
  20. Quote:

Why? Because!

Yea, it would be good to know what specifically is incorrect and what the real truth is. But JK probably wants to keep his job at least till his prescheduled early termination package arrives.

That's my reason for not jumping into this thread with any info.

:D
  21. Quote:

8O
    Do you also work at Intel?
  22. Quote:

I'm going to assume that he means these have only PR taped out, considering that there are supposed to be Nehalem ES, to trick AMD and keep 65nm sales and that real tape out happened before :D
  23. Quote:

8O
    Do you also work at Intel?

yup. I do.
  24. Quote:
    Given that AMD's architecture still seems to hold a bit more oomph over intel's (but not nearly as much as it used to), may we see a generation of AMD dominance -- this time process-based?

Ummm, where is the oomph? Is it so fast that no benchmark can catch it?
  25. Well,

Apparently, this tapeout is old news, the zdnet article was dated November 29th. Interesting that this hasen't really been flying around the web as far as I have seen.

Major Spittle

"I think they might have a real steamy turd on their hands." Since they have been quiet about the 45nm tapeout, or maybe, it's just not news?
  26. Sorry, but.. and you only have an E6400 and an E6600??
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  27. Hehe!

Sooo is 45nm is going to change what Kents look under the hood http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53891&stc=1&d=1166173509

Ok I know I know, just needed a reason to post the pic...
  28. Quote:
    you could be right
    they sampled last month

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20061127154338.html

Yep. There are already three threads about Penryn sampling here at Forumz, from two/three weeks back:
    Intel Samples 45nm Penryn Microprocessors.
    Intel makes 45nm chip samples.
    45nm Penryn CPU's - 1st Qtr 2007?
  29. Yeah tapping out is not the same though.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but when you sample a chip, you might still find some defect or way to tweak it so you re-spin the silicon and make a new revision. When it tapes out you actually start production...

At least I think =)
  30. Quote:
    Well,

Apparently, this tapeout is old news, the zdnet article was dated November 29th. Interesting that this hasen't really been flying around the web as far as I have seen.

Major Spittle

"I think they might have a real steamy turd on their hands." Since they have been quiet about the 45nm tapeout, or maybe, it's just not news?

Intel is already ahead of AMD and not playing catch up. I don't think Intel will rush to show benchmarks of their new product until they are well into production.

Tape out just means they have a production canidate. Something they could go with. It says nothing about if they are ready to manufacture it. There is a big difference.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.... Ok, somebody who isn't talking out their ass and knows for sure. :wink:
  31. Here's what I've found out on that.
    Quote:
    In electronics, tape-out is the name of the final stage of the design of an integrated circuit such as a microprocessor, the point at which the description of a circuit is sent for manufacture...

< http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tape-out >
  32. Quote:
    Here's what I've found out on that.
    In electronics, tape-out is the name of the final stage of the design of an integrated circuit such as a microprocessor, the point at which the description of a circuit is sent for manufacture...

Oh, so it really has nothing to do with actual "tape" :oops:

Just kidding, thanks for the looking it up.
  33. Quote:

Hey! Did I just feel a rumbling? Something seismic really down deep below Intel HQ that's gonna explode sooner than anyone thinks? :wink:

Pay up your insurance and hold onto your shorts. With this new (lack of) information, I gotta feeling 2007 may be a far more interesting year than anyone could have imagined! :lol:
  34. Quote:
    That's my reason for not jumping into this thread with any info. :D

Hey I think there are great times ahead for you guys and gals at Intel. I mean, it's a great time now and I don't think the wave has hit full swell just yet.
  35. I am pretty sure you can tell, I was just poking fun at you. Hence, why I quoted your steamy turd comment.

wes
  36. Quote:
    Sorry, but.. and you only have an E6400 and an E6600??
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not greedy, nor do I need the computing power that much. :)

My E6600 is for gaming and for video encoding stuff I do. My E6400 is currently saving me from paying TiVO fees. lol.

I could get the X6800 at a nice price, but I don't really need it. It's a nice thing to have, but I really don't have a real need for it. I would rather use the money I would spend for the X6800, and buy the 8800 GPU.

Anyway, it's a nice upgrade from my other system these 2 CPUs replaced: 804EE and 820. :D
  37. Always a pleasure. :)

BTW looking back at previous threads on Penryn sampling, there are indications that Intel indeed was planning on tapping it out before year end (as beerandcandy pointed out).

According to the articles upon the threads were based, the samples would go back to the design team as to verify if they were operating accordingly.
  38. Quote:
    amd being quiet like this is hard to bear. last i checked they dont even have good yeilds with 65nm yet and 45nm is 2 years away. i dont see how they are going to make allot of profits with so little product. vista is coiming out in a month or so and i would have thought amd would be trying to flood the market with product to try to capture sales with all the new vista sales. but instead they bought ati. a fab would have been better.

I don't agree with you, and we had this argument in another topic that neither Intel nor AMD make public their yield information, so everything that you say of that is based on speculation. So every statement about that cannot be taken with any factual background, because the public doesn't know. And I don't think that AMD would have been better off to buy a new fab, because whose to say that there is enough demand for amd processors to build a 4th fab (because an AMD fab is being built in Luther park, NY scheduled opening around 2009, 2010.). The ATI acquisition I see as only helping them, they now have a much better understanding of chip sets and graphics/stream processing.
  39. Quote:
    ]Intel is already ahead of AMD and not playing catch up. I don't think Intel will rush to show benchmarks of their new product until they are well into production.

Let me introduce you to the multi billion dollar Ape-like machine we in the biz call the Intel PR team.
  40. Quote:
    Here's what I've found out on that.

This is essentially correct. What it means for Intel and I will ASSume the same for AMD is that the Engineering Design for the Penryn architecture has been completed. The design files then go to Intel's Mask shop where they make the very expensive Masks that will build up a working chip from the bare starting silicon wafer.

It usually takes about 4 weeks from tapeout to actually having a usable product. This means that the parts leave the factory at D1D go through sort to find the actual working parts. For now they probably don't have any type of sort program so all of the little buggers get packaged and then usually they get shipped to Santa Clara or Folsom to be powered on.

So, if it has been about 4 weeks from the first announcement then the guys who get to power on the part should be getting them soon. There is a lot involved with this. They will be using a Reference Validation Platform RVP to power up the new part. The RVP is a highly instrumented multi layered specialized motherboard that has insane configurability.

I would expect that people within Intel will most likely know how the A0 Stepping of Penryn is performing prior to Christmas. We on the outside will most likely hear something about it late January if the news is good "I'm guessing again here".

As for the comment about Nehalem ES I betting that is just so much BS. Intel is still working on the Design and they won't even hit tapeout I'm betting until the second half of 2007. Please take the last with a large grain of salt.

My friend at Intel said that Wolfsdale A0 processors internal samples will be available in Q1. Does this mean January or later he did not say. I'm hoping January since the Wolfsdale is just a Penryn on Gigahurtz steroids.
  41. Quote:

I could get the X6800 at a nice price, but I don't really need it. It's a nice thing to have, but I really don't have a real need for it.

Are you mad? You don't need it? Fallacy, utter fallacy.
  42. Quote:

I could get the X6800 at a nice price, but I don't really need it. It's a nice thing to have, but I really don't have a real need for it.

Are you mad? You don't need it? Fallacy, utter fallacy.

LOL

Yeah, a lot of my friends said the same thing, but seriously. I don't megatask much, and the price I got my CPU and motherboard was still about 1/2 the price for the X6800 alone (remember, this isn't retail price, so don't get all crazy). In fact, I had enough left over to buy 2GB of DDR2-800 RAM without breaking a sweat, and believe me, I would've been sweating otherwise. In fact, I need to update my CPU-Z with my new ram.
  43. Heh, I couldn't bear to part with my X6800. Then again, I can't wait for my QX.... :twisted:
  44. Quote:
    Heh, I couldn't bear to part with my X6800. Then again, I can't wait for my QX.... :twisted:

Well, hopefully, I might be lucky enough to get an C2Q CPU...maybe?
  45. Pray for a ES... by the way, your sig is off a bit
  46. Quote:

Sorry, but.. and you only have an E6400 and an E6600??

My Pentium Pro is bigger than your E6600. Who's more competitive now and laughing now?

the most stupid thing I ever wrote..
  47. Quote:
    Pray for a ES... by the way, your sig is off a bit

Sssshhhh...

That's what we usually get. LOL

:wink:
  48. Quote:

Hey! Did I just feel a rumbling? Something seismic really down deep below Intel HQ that's gonna explode sooner than anyone thinks? :wink:

Pay up your insurance and hold onto your shorts. With this new (lack of) information, I gotta feeling 2007 may be a far more interesting year than anyone could have imagined! :lol:

That was probably just a fart. Or maybe a little poo.

Quote:
    I am pretty sure you can tell, I was just poking fun at you. Hence, why I quoted your steamy turd comment.

wes

Damn you got to be before me.

Yeah 2007 will be a good year. I can't imagine another launch like Core 2, but who knows? Maybe mainstream cheap quad cores?
  49. Quote:

That was probably just a fart. Or maybe a little poo.

Quote:
    I am pretty sure you can tell, I was just poking fun at you. Hence, why I quoted your steamy turd comment.

wes

Damn you got to be before me.

Yeah 2007 will be a good year. I can't imagine another launch like Core 2, but who knows? Maybe mainstream cheap quad cores?

No, I'm not gonna be the first who says that this thread is turning to sh!t! :lol:

I was of the opinion that 2007 would be a "fill-out" year where all the lower, boring, dilettante echelons of the ranges are filled-out and not much interesting happens on the high end. But all the "unsubstantiated rumours" of 4GHz Conroes, Killer Penryns, etc. if they can be introduced in that calendar year, could make 2006 tame by comparison!

Personally I couldn't care less if AMD or Intel pwns. The important thing is that the enthusiast/prosumer wins with ever more performance for the buck! As the great sage and avatar of powertools Tim Allen would say: "MORE POWER!" :D
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel