Tomshardware is great, Charitable idea?

bgriffin

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Hello all,

Don't know whether anyone has ever suggested this, if it is at all viable but it is worth a shout.

With the excessive number of (possibly) generous regular tomshardware users, is there not some room to start a kind of free PC building programme with charity in mind. I'm sure there are plenty of places (charity wise) that could do with some computers?

Utilizing the spare parts that members have and some sort of trusted tomshardware source wouldn't it be possible to put some basic pc's together and then find a place to donate them to?

It could be way to much hassle with all the logistics, spare parts, OS installs etc etc etc but it is an idea?

....Stand ready to shoot me down....... wait for it.......... wait for it......... now!

All the best,

Ben

bgriffin

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I forgot to add that this may of totally been the wrong area to post, if that is the case I apologise and ask that a moderator move it to a more appropriate area. Thank you.

bgriffin

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
indeed the logistics are daunting.

But, some preliminary ideas:

1. Starting small to see how it works out, we would (I guess) assign a trusted member of the community whom was willing to give up some of their own time, sticky a thread and go part by part, perhaps starting with CPU or Mobo.

2. Then I guess it is a question of waiting for people to pledge the parts needed.

3. The hard part: Getting the parts to the builder, costs I guess are the issue here - and correct packaging.

My concerns:
-Who ever volunteered would not/could not handle an excess of parts so I guess we would have to do it on a system by system basis as opposed to a free for all.
- Operating systems?
- Finding the correct charities that could really get some use out of these computers.

All in all:

If a process could be ironed out you could ramp it up to include multiple volunteers building a system/systems each.

The parts aren't going to be top of the line so I don't see many concerns with people (god forbid but its a concern people will think of) of people disappearing with the not so good PCs (morals withstanding).

You could always put some kind of "Donated by Toms Hardware- Built By - "
kind of decal or graphics on the side of the donor case in recognition of those who have given up their time/money.

I figure a lot of us (i know I do) have spare parts laying around from old rigs that are no use to us but are by no means broken or out of order, why not put them to some decent use - a lot of people don't have access to one.

It's a marvbellous idea but geographic logistics would probably the biggest problem. When I had several old but serviceable computers given to me to give to charities, I found their attitude is they wanted the best and newest equipment and would use their donated cash to buy it.

I worked briefly with a global charity local to me and during that time they moved offices into a suite which was palatially appointed when they took on the Lease. They stripped out the carpets and blinds only to replace them with those of their branded colours at a cost of £50,000. I've never given them a penny since.

Those older computers went to Freecycle Centres so they probably found their way to individuals who were stuggling to find money.

I'm not pouring cold water on your scheme and would be happy to take part in a UK branch of it if it gets off the ground. The Deals sub-forum had a thread recently which dealt with a similar idea.

bgriffin

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Indeed, the charities to target would probably be the smaller ones.

Yeah logistics would be a nightmare, but potentially building one test system with only the parts required being sent wouldn't be terrible. But then again postage would vary between donator's it hardly going to cost anything similar to send some ram as it would be to send a case or PSU.

The computers wouldn't need to be donated to big charities, whom granted would rather buy a large set of standardised machine. But for a smaller charity, or even worthy individuals we could find in association with computer donation charities (there are many) we could help a few people. I look at all the spares I have laying around that I can never use and think - what a waste.

Also as you mentioned geographically we would have to split it up into nations or something similar to cut down on any potential costs.

bgriffin

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I believe that is THE key issue. Not to be cheeky but does toms have the resources to go halves on postage? Or the chance of finding some kind of co-sponsor who could?

Also it would be worth polling members to see who would be willing to pay, as I said with some of the bigger components it may go abit beyond. The smaller ones shouldn't be a major problem (Atleast speaking for myself paying a few pound to ship some items wouldn't kill me).

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Following up on this - to answer your question bgriffin, probably not. Shipping for some of the used components in question could well be quite beyond what the component could be bought for new, and shipped bulk from suppliers. Still completely open to the idea of aiding in the functional organization of such an endeavor though. :)