Can my webcam be "hijacked"?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 5, 2005 1:10:18 AM

I'd appreciate some help with something that worries me slightly! I'm
thinking about getting a webcam.... is it possible to hack my computer
and "hijack" my cam so that the hacker can watch me or my daughters in
front of the pc without us knowing about it? I have a static
IP-address so I'm worried about people finding me and tapping into my
cam....
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
TIA!
tvegard

More about : webcam hijacked

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 1:20:39 PM

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:10:18 +0000, tvegard wrote:

> I'd appreciate some help with something that worries me slightly! I'm
> thinking about getting a webcam.... is it possible to hack my computer
> and "hijack" my cam so that the hacker can watch me or my daughters in
> front of the pc without us knowing about it? I have a static
> IP-address so I'm worried about people finding me and tapping into my
> cam....
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
> TIA!
> tvegard
Simple solution - unplug the webcam when you are not using it.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 5:53:38 PM

Yes, it can be hijacked... and a simpler solution would be to aim it
somewhere that nothing can be seen. Maybe aim it at the ceiling, at the
wall behind the computer desk... even throw a cup on top of it. Unplugging
and plugging a cam all the time could get annoying. :)

http://douglas.min.net/mirrors/altern.org/bo2kfun/best....

Check that page to see exactly what people can do with a good hacky prog...
jack in, view you on your cam, send you messages, then catch your reaction
on the cam too. Heh...
January 5, 2005 6:55:17 PM

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:20:39 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:10:18 +0000, tvegard wrote:
>
>> I'd appreciate some help with something that worries me slightly! I'm
>> thinking about getting a webcam.... is it possible to hack my computer
>> and "hijack" my cam so that the hacker can watch me or my daughters in
>> front of the pc without us knowing about it? I have a static
>> IP-address so I'm worried about people finding me and tapping into my
>> cam....
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
>> TIA!
>> tvegard
> Simple solution - unplug the webcam when you are not using it.

My webcam (Logitech Quickcam) also comes with a 'modesty shield' :-)

This is a visor which flips down over the lens when you don't want the
camera to see anything.

Webcams can be hijacked if you run an insecure system - but then again
everything on your system can be hijacked including all your
correspondence, photographs, anything you have stored.
Your system can also be used to send SPAM, and attack other systems.
If you are concerned about your webcam then you should be concerned about
everything else as well.

Proper firewalling, trojan and virus checking, and sensible use of
applications (for example, not just leaving a messenger program running so
someone can connect to your PC and webcam) will reduce the risk a lot.

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 [Shields Up] will check your system out
and give you some idea of your current vulnerability to intrusion.

So; webcams (and many other things) can be hacked and/or hijacked but they
can also be run securely.

(1) If in doubt, blindfold the webcam when you are not using it.

(2) If the webcam is vulnerable, consider what else is, and take
precautions.

HTH

Dave R
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 1:36:30 AM

Thanx for good advice :)  I thought the "modesty shield" sounded like a
good idea, but one thing still worries me.... and that is the fact
that my daughters chat on MSN with their friends... and the thought
that some creep is watching troubles me. And the shield wouldn't be
able to stop that 'cause they use the cam! So I guess I will have to
make sure my entire system is safe enough to avoid being hacked!

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:10:18 GMT, tvegard <terjevk@broadpark.no>
wrote:

>I'd appreciate some help with something that worries me slightly! I'm
>thinking about getting a webcam.... is it possible to hack my computer
>and "hijack" my cam so that the hacker can watch me or my daughters in
>front of the pc without us knowing about it? I have a static
>IP-address so I'm worried about people finding me and tapping into my
>cam....
>Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
>TIA!
>tvegard
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 2:50:38 PM

Robert J Batina wrote:

> Yes, it can be hijacked... and a simpler solution would be to aim it
> somewhere that nothing can be seen. Maybe aim it at the ceiling, at the
> wall behind the computer desk... even throw a cup on top of it.
> Unplugging
> and plugging a cam all the time could get annoying. :)
>
> http://douglas.min.net/mirrors/altern.org/bo2kfun/best....
>
> Check that page to see exactly what people can do with a good hacky
> prog... jack in, view you on your cam, send you messages, then catch your
> reaction
> on the cam too. Heh...

What leads you to believe that someone was using a "good hacky prog..."?
All kinds of possibilities there.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 11:44:20 GMT, "Robert J Batina"
<rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

>U guys didn't see this link I posted?
>
>http://douglas.min.net/mirrors/altern.org/bo2kfun/best....

(snip)

You probably missed the point of the page. Nothing there that
indicates anybody can "high jack" a cam if you don't want them
to. If you are connected to other people and showing them your
video, then they can "capture" your video using the
alt-printscreen keys and use it any way they want to. Just be
careful who you connect with.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:43:23 AM

in the News
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/23/peeping_tom_wor...

"tvegard" <terjevk@broadpark.no> wrote in message
> I'd appreciate some help with something that worries me slightly! I'm
> thinking about getting a webcam.... is it possible to hack my computer
> and "hijack" my cam so that the hacker can watch me or my daughters in
> front of the pc without us knowing about it? I have a static
> IP-address so I'm worried about people finding me and tapping into my
> cam....
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
> TIA!
> tvegard
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:45:43 PM

J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> spewed:
> What leads you to believe that someone was using a "good hacky
> prog..."? All kinds of possibilities there.

That's a somewhat infamous screengrab that someone made using Back Orifice,
which is a pretty decent tool for causing trouble for someone else's PC.
(hence the "good hacky prog" comment)
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:48:50 PM

Si Ballenger <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> spewed:
> You probably missed the point of the page. Nothing there that
> indicates anybody can "high jack" a cam if you don't want them
> to. If you are connected to other people and showing them your
> video, then they can "capture" your video using the
> alt-printscreen keys and use it any way they want to. Just be
> careful who you connect with.

http://www.bo2k.com/featurelist.html

I didn't miss the point. The program is called Back Orifice, and it can be
used to do all sorts of things to someone else's computer - with just one of
them being the ability to view/save video streams from the webcam. Having a
firewall and virus software makes this more difficult, but I'm just trying
to show that there are programs that are readily available, and designed to
do just what the OP was worried about.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:48:51 PM

Robert J Batina wrote:

> Si Ballenger <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> spewed:
>> You probably missed the point of the page. Nothing there that
>> indicates anybody can "high jack" a cam if you don't want them
>> to. If you are connected to other people and showing them your
>> video, then they can "capture" your video using the
>> alt-printscreen keys and use it any way they want to. Just be
>> careful who you connect with.
>
> http://www.bo2k.com/featurelist.html
>
> I didn't miss the point. The program is called Back Orifice, and it can
> be used to do all sorts of things to someone else's computer - with just
> one of
> them being the ability to view/save video streams from the webcam. Having
> a firewall and virus software makes this more difficult, but I'm just
> trying to show that there are programs that are readily available, and
> designed to do just what the OP was worried about.

Actually, if someone has gotten Back Orifice onto your machine then they can
get _everything_, not just camera output.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:51:57 PM

bumtracks <visitor@corner.bar> spewed:
> in the News
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/23/peeping_tom_wor...

There ya go. That too.

I know people want to feel safe on the net... but don't fool yourself into
thinking that it could never happen. Just keep your virus profiles up to
date, reinforce that firewall, and hope that's enough to stop the baddies.
*laugh*
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 3:26:25 AM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:48:50 GMT, "Robert J Batina"
<rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

>Si Ballenger <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> spewed:
>> You probably missed the point of the page. Nothing there that
>> indicates anybody can "high jack" a cam if you don't want them
>> to. If you are connected to other people and showing them your
>> video, then they can "capture" your video using the
>> alt-printscreen keys and use it any way they want to. Just be
>> careful who you connect with.
>
>http://www.bo2k.com/featurelist.html
>
>I didn't miss the point. The program is called Back Orifice, and it can be
>used to do all sorts of things to someone else's computer - with just one of
>them being the ability to view/save video streams from the webcam. Having a
>firewall and virus software makes this more difficult, but I'm just trying
>to show that there are programs that are readily available, and designed to
>do just what the OP was worried about.

Netbus, back orifice or any of the trojan variants can do pretty
much the same. If you let a trojan take over your computer, then
it can become a server for child porn, a email spam bot, or most
any thing else. Nothing new about that. Generally speaking,
nobody can hijack your cam unless you let them by doing something
stupid.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:38:44 PM

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:10:18 GMT, tvegard <terjevk@broadpark.no> wrote:

>I'd appreciate some help with something that worries me slightly! I'm
>thinking about getting a webcam.... is it possible to hack my computer
>and "hijack" my cam so that the hacker can watch me or my daughters in
>front of the pc without us knowing about it? I have a static
>IP-address so I'm worried about people finding me and tapping into my
>cam....
>Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
>TIA!
>tvegard

duh.
keeping your pc spyware free, virus free, AND internet explorer free :)
but if you are putting your cam aplet to the web ,any user can watch you..
may be a .htaccess will do the job, so some users grannted with the password
may vieuw you, or your daughters :)

a nice firewall can also help, i think ? :)
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:39:50 PM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:46:41 -0500, "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>Robert J Batina wrote:
>

>> Si Ballenger <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> spewed:
>>> You probably missed the point of the page. Nothing there that
>>> indicates anybody can "high jack" a cam if you don't want them
>>> to. If you are connected to other people and showing them your
>>> video, then they can "capture" your video using the
>>> alt-printscreen keys and use it any way they want to. Just be
>>> careful who you connect with.
>>
>> http://www.bo2k.com/featurelist.html
>>
>> I didn't miss the point. The program is called Back Orifice, and it can
>> be used to do all sorts of things to someone else's computer - with just
>> one of
>> them being the ability to view/save video streams from the webcam. Having
>> a firewall and virus software makes this more difficult, but I'm just
>> trying to show that there are programs that are readily available, and
>> designed to do just what the OP was worried about.
>
>Actually, if someone has gotten Back Orifice onto your machine then they can
>get _everything_, not just camera output.

i agree with that.
BO is a nasty one, stupid to install untrusted software without scanning it on
virusez :)
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:42:48 PM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:51:57 GMT, "Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com>
wrote:

>bumtracks <visitor@corner.bar> spewed:
>> in the News
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/23/peeping_tom_wor...
>
>There ya go. That too.
>
>I know people want to feel safe on the net... but don't fool yourself into
>thinking that it could never happen. Just keep your virus profiles up to
>date, reinforce that firewall, and hope that's enough to stop the baddies.
>*laugh*

on the register, there was latest also a nice artikel about unprotected axis
networkcams ,after a nice google tweak i was peeping in some ofice's jobs..
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 8:27:38 PM

"tvegard" <terjevk@broadpark.no> wrote in message
> I'd appreciate some help with something that worries me slightly! I'm
> thinking about getting a webcam.... is it possible to hack my computer
> and "hijack" my cam so that the hacker can watch me or my daughters in
> front of the pc without us knowing about it? I have a static
> IP-address so I'm worried about people finding me and tapping into my
> cam....
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
> TIA!

I wouldn't worry about anyone taking over your webcam, just change that
shirt, it looks terrible on you :p
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 11:54:47 AM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:27:38 GMT, "PeteZahut" <Me@mine.com> wrote:

>"tvegard" <terjevk@broadpark.no> wrote in message
>> I'd appreciate some help with something that worries me slightly! I'm
>> thinking about getting a webcam.... is it possible to hack my computer
>> and "hijack" my cam so that the hacker can watch me or my daughters in
>> front of the pc without us knowing about it? I have a static
>> IP-address so I'm worried about people finding me and tapping into my
>> cam....
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
>> TIA!
>
>I wouldn't worry about anyone taking over your webcam, just change that
>shirt, it looks terrible on you :p

ROFL !!!!
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 7:33:44 PM

It may be a coincidence but I had never heard of BO before reading about it
here. I do a virus/ad/malware scan every day and what did I find on the very
next occasion? Or rather SpybotS&D found....Yes BO.
Has one of these posts snuck it in?

Martynz
!