digityzed

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
There's maybe 3 or 4 network closets and all have a direct feed from the main network/server room where the patch panels and main 24 port switches and domain controller (Win2003 Server), database servers and such. Is there some sort of software or way/technique I can use to figure out which computers are connected to which network closet??? Somehow trace the route??? I believe the switches have IP addresses

I just need to map out the network, see what computers, networked printers, etc are connecting where

TIA

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Are the wall ports labeled? If they are it shouldn't be to hard to find the patch panel each port goes to.
You could make a list of computers/devices and ports. Then take that list into the wire closets and mark the closet next to the port.

If the ports/panels arn't labeled dont hire the contractor that did the wireing ever again, lol.

digityzed

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
that person died and didn't document anything. the patch panel and switch labeling appears to be incorrect. I just need to know what computers what connecting to what closet

is there a way to monitor a packet or something and see what path or route it took to reach it's destination?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I think each closet would have to have a router in it to do a trace route and determine where they go. I dont know of any way to determine which switch a computer is connected to unless they are all ciscos and are clustered. They you may be able to determine what mac address is connected to what port.

If you just need a general idea as to what computers/devices go to what closet and not down to the port you could disconnect the uplink to a closet and see which computers lose network/internet connectivity :)
I dont think there will be an easy solution for ya. It will be a fairly long and time consuming process.

If you want to get everything labeled properly once and for all get a Fluke Microscanner and tone out each drop. You will probably want to recruit a helper to do it so one guy can tone while the other moves from one drop to another.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
If you don't mind making 2/3 of the people in the office mad then...

Unplug 2 of the routers, one at a time. This will obviouslly knock out that segment of the network! No need to do all 3, you can figure that out by elimination. :twisted:

Maybe you could do this after hours.

A different option would be to have a helper(s) watch the link status (flashing lights on the routers) while you unplug the cable at each of the PC's. Link status light will go out when the remote PC is unplugged.

Draw up a chart that you can label offices/cubes with port and closet numbers.

riser

Illustrious
For $70 you can buy a cable tone generator/tracer and clip onto each cable to find out where it goes. That's how it's done when the cables are run so they know where each cable goes when running them in bulk.

If you have managed switches, you should be able to get into the console and look at MAC addresses and send a message to each MAC via another comptuer to find out where the pop-up comes.

There really isn't an easy way for you to do this.