Your question

Design articles not "news", are misleading

Tags:
  • Website Opinions
  • Imagination
  • Tom's Hardware
Last response: in Site Feedback
April 28, 2011 8:59:45 PM

Maybe toms should stop listing all of those design articles as news. especially the ones that don't reference an actual product.

If nothing has actually been invented, nothing is actually being built, nothing has even been shown to be possible, it's just a picture from someone's imagination, and is not news.

More about : design articles news misleading

April 29, 2011 2:59:24 PM

Any article in particular that has got your dander up?
April 29, 2011 10:24:31 PM

well i mean, its not a huge deal, its just a little weird to become interested in the "new yacht audi is making", only to spend some time and find out it was actually just some intern's design project and audi (as far as i can tell) has no actual plans to make a yacht. For example:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Audi-Trimaran-Yacht,news-10...

perhaps things like this could be labeled "concept" or something similar.
Related resources
May 2, 2011 2:02:12 PM

I'll pass along the suggestion. Much obliged for the feedback, friend!
May 6, 2011 1:26:37 AM

I agree with this. I've said this before, but there are becoming too many 'concept designs' on here being used as filler between events that have actually happened. Just my $0.02.
May 7, 2011 1:58:45 PM

I agree. I'm starting to find the "design" articles a bit misleading. Perhaps something in parenthesis at the end of the title on the main page like (Design) would be appropriate.
May 7, 2011 10:40:36 PM

or another example in the news:
"Camera Features Detachable Wireless Lens "
hey cool, that's a good idea. I want one, where can I ... oh.. there actually is no such camera.
May 10, 2011 3:24:37 PM

Or perhaps another column of stories dedicated to design/prototype devices would be a good idea.
May 22, 2011 2:17:47 AM

I'd like the ability to not see any of those awful Tom's Style articles on the Tom's Hardware homepage. At least regular Tom's Guide articles are often about computers. I really don't care about the latest solar powered combo cheese grater/iPhone dock/compass.
May 26, 2011 12:03:40 AM

wait a minute, a solar powered cheese grater/iphone/compass -might- be cool...

if it actually existed ...

but if it's just someone saying "hey what if you had a one inch square solar panel that could power a 500 watt speaker system, fly using "wind technology", be invisible using "nanotechnology", and had a cheese grater and a compass?"

then... nice imagination i guess?
June 2, 2011 9:03:28 AM

Thanks for sharing the post and doing discussion on this topic.
!