DVD Burners Lagging out my system

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Whilst this is happening next time, run Task Manager, see what processes are running, what background applications are running.

Look at the graph as well - see what program is using up the CPU and slowing everything else down! :?

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
My first though is that Windows has decided it likes PIO mode.

Windows monitors the errors that occur on an IDE channel, when a certain number have happened (and there will always be SOME errors) it drops the IDE channel and all drives on it to PIO mode - pre-UDMA, maxes out at 16MiB/s, and eats CPU cycles.

The only way to change this is to delete the IDE channels from device manager and reboot, whereupon Windows will redetect them and install them as new devices with no errors ever.

The issue is that Windows will log the LIFETIME errors on a channel.... a silly idea imho.

But I have nothing to go on here and that is pure speculation. Full system specs please, along with further error details!

Do you mean it lags no matter what program accesses the drive for what reasion? Even say, playing a Music CD or a Video DVD, or just when ripping burning with whatever app you use?

ih8makingupnames

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
I had this same problem. I had to load the drivers for the ide controler. The drive still locks up my computer for just a sec when it is first accessing but at least it does not make my mouse lag any more. What is your motherboard? Mine came with the drivers on the cd but I never thought to load them. My mobo is a MSI 965 Platinum.

Philiac

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Ok, this is my system.

Intel Core 2 Duo e6600
2 Gigs DDR2 800 Corsair XMS
Asus P5W-DH Mobo
nVidia Geforce 7950GT 512mb
Sound Blaster X-FI Sound Card
Dual 150gb Raptors, 1 for system and 1 for storage
Two of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152076

How can it be a resources problem? This system doesnt twitch when Im watching a dvd and playing a videogame at the same time. And its not one specific application, its just any time the drives are in use.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Are the burners plugged into the ICH7R IDE controller (the one at the side of the board) or the Jmicron one at the bottom underneath the PCI slots, or of course one in each?

Make sure you have the latest Jmicron (Here) and Intel Chipset drivers installed (the top download in This list)

Make sure you are using the latest BIOS version, 1707, this contains an update to the Jmicron controller ROM.