Multiple screens, multiple accounts and desktop icons

I am running XP Pro. I have set up two user accounts: One for myself, and
one for my girlfriend. I have a Radeon-based video card with VGA, DVI and TV
outlets. A monitor is hooked to the VGA and a TV is hooked to the TV-out.

Depending on what the computer is used for, I mainly switch between three
different setups: 1) Monitor as primary display, TV as clone. 2) TV as
primary display, monitor as clone. 3) Monitor as primary display, with
desktop extended to the TV.

Changing between these setups are usually done from my user account. On both
accounts the desktop icons are set up to be sorted automatically by name. My
icons stay in place, but my girlfriend has complained that her desktop icons
keep moving all over the place. Sometimes they are neatly lined along the
left edge of the screen, other times they are jumbled all over the screen,
and today she could not even find her icons: It turned out they were all
placed on the TV!

I do not know if it is related, but I have also noted one other thing: When
I set the TV to be used as a secondary display, I cannot set it to
resolutions below 800x600 (any way to override this, BTW?). But when I
shutdown and reboot, the TV display suddenly has a resolution of 640x480.

Does anybody know what I should do to keep my girls icons in place?
2 answers Last reply
More about multiple screens multiple accounts desktop icons

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:34:08 +0100, André Gulliksen wrote:

    > I am running XP Pro. I have set up two user accounts: One for myself, and
    > one for my girlfriend. I have a Radeon-based video card with VGA, DVI and TV
    > outlets. A monitor is hooked to the VGA and a TV is hooked to the TV-out.
    >
    > Depending on what the computer is used for, I mainly switch between three
    > different setups: 1) Monitor as primary display, TV as clone. 2) TV as
    > primary display, monitor as clone. 3) Monitor as primary display, with
    > desktop extended to the TV.
    >
    > Changing between these setups are usually done from my user account. On both
    > accounts the desktop icons are set up to be sorted automatically by name. My
    > icons stay in place, but my girlfriend has complained that her desktop icons
    > keep moving all over the place. Sometimes they are neatly lined along the
    > left edge of the screen, other times they are jumbled all over the screen,
    > and today she could not even find her icons: It turned out they were all
    > placed on the TV!
    >
    > I do not know if it is related, but I have also noted one other thing: When
    > I set the TV to be used as a secondary display, I cannot set it to
    > resolutions below 800x600 (any way to override this, BTW?). But when I
    > shutdown and reboot, the TV display suddenly has a resolution of 640x480.
    >
    > Does anybody know what I should do to keep my girls icons in place?

    Duct tape or Arrange Icons> AutoArrange might help.

    AutoArrange will usually realign all icons to the left on the primary
    monitor. Most folks turn this off as it can be annoying but your girlfriend
    may like the results. If it doesn't work out, you could always turn it off
    again.

    Or perhaps try one of those third party programs that save desktop settings
    so that the icons don't go wandering?

    You might look into the ATI software possibilities too. Depending on what
    you have installed, you might find a place where you can create and save
    user customized desktops.

    I have the Catalyst Control Center installed at the moment and am finding
    only "Profiles" that save display settings - not desktops. However, the
    last time that I ran the regular ATI Control Center, the option for
    managing more personalized desktops was still there. Don't know how well
    this arranges icons but if you already have it installed, it's worth a try.

    As far as the resolution for the TV goes: When you restart or during the
    early stages of boot up, the system's base video is working and not the ATI
    drivers. You might get around this by going in Display Properties>
    Advanced> Adapter and checking the box to show all modes but I strongly
    advise caution making this change as the resulting list will include
    settings not supported by the current hardware.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sharon F wrote:
    >> On both accounts the desktop icons are set up to be sorted
    >> automatically by name.

    > Duct tape

    I was considering it. Or a stapler gun :op

    > or Arrange Icons> AutoArrange might help.

    AutoArrange is on for both profiles. That's what I meant by "automatically".

    > I have the Catalyst Control Center installed at the moment and am
    > finding only "Profiles" that save display settings - not desktops.

    Me to. I have two such profiles: One for monitor+TV as primary/clone, and
    vice versa. When extending my desktop to the TV I have to turn this on
    manually.

    No options for desktop icons, though.

    > As far as the resolution for the TV goes: When you restart or during
    > the early stages of boot up, the system's base video is working and
    > not the ATI drivers. You might get around this by going in Display
    > Properties> Advanced> Adapter and checking the box to show all modes
    > but I strongly advise caution making this change as the resulting
    > list will include settings not supported by the current hardware.

    Well, this seems to be a limitation of XP, not the video
    card/drivers/whatever. I used to have Windows 2000, and I could select
    640x480 without problems. It seems that XP by design does not want 640x480
    resolutions. When using a monitor that does not handle resolutions above
    640x480 XP drops down to 640x480, and gives you an "error" message that the
    resolution is too low. If your equipment handles resolutions above 640x480
    then the Display dialogue in XP does not offer the option of selecting
    640x480. The only possibility I have seen so far is using third party
    software, such as MultiRes. But if there is a registry-hack or anything that
    allows me to select 640x480 in the standard XP Display dialogue, then I
    would like to know about it.

TV Monitors Desktop Icons Windows XP