Can I Increase the Internal Memory of my AXIM X5

a b } Memory
March 16, 2005 5:54:03 PM

I've come across a site in the USA that will give you a 128mb boost of
your internal memory for a Dell Axim X5.

Does anyone know if a company exists in Canada that will do this? I
don't feel good about shipping my PPC over the boarder to have the
proceedure done.

Jeff
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 16, 2005 8:38:25 PM

Thanks for the advice, the problem is I have a 512mb SD card and I use
the CF slot for GPS and WiFi.

Os I was looking to be able to carry around more email and have more
programs running
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 16, 2005 9:09:35 PM

"PMO" <jeff.potts@cibc.com> wrote in message
> I've come across a site in the USA that will give you a 128mb boost of
> your internal memory for a Dell Axim X5.
>
> Does anyone know if a company exists in Canada that will do this? I
> don't feel good about shipping my PPC over the boarder to have the
> proceedure done.
>
> Jeff

Do you really need the upgrade, or would it best to apply the money to the
next round of devices, which if the trend continues get cheaper and more
powerful.

..02, fwiw
a b } Memory
March 16, 2005 9:31:38 PM

I guess the next step is how to sync the data to the card from outlook
on the desktop. I do not think you can change the location through
activesync
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 16, 2005 10:30:43 PM

i agree... put the money toward a huge memory card.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 16, 2005 10:59:47 PM

get a gig sd card, configure your email to store on the card as well as
reinstalling some of the programs to the sd card.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 17, 2005 1:50:26 AM

Wanted to point out that the PPCTechs' upgrade for the Axim does not give
you 128M of RAM to play with. You wind up with the same 64M of RAM as you
currently have plus a 64M RAM disk sort of thing, to which you can save
files, load programs etc. You already have a fairly good sized
Built-in-Storage that works the same way. You would need to find a way to
move the e-mail to that new RAM disk, just as you could move it to
Built-in-Storage or a flash card, if that is possible.

That's not a secret BTW. It is explained on PPCTechs' site in the area that
explains the difference between native RAM upgrades, and those that require
their proprietary driver. My feeling is that an upgrade to a two slot device
that requires the driver is a bit of a waste. The RAM disk addition to a
single slot device is well worth the price (like the 4155), and a native
upgrade to any device, which actually brings the system RAM from 64M to 128M
is worth the effort.

Follow the advice and get a bigger flash, and see if you can't find a way to
move the e-mail, if that is what is taking up the RAM..

--
Sven
MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"PMO" <jeff.potts@cibc.com> wrote in message
> I've come across a site in the USA that will give you a 128mb boost of
> your internal memory for a Dell Axim X5.
>
> Does anyone know if a company exists in Canada that will do this? I
> don't feel good about shipping my PPC over the boarder to have the
> proceedure done.
>
> Jeff

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 17, 2005 10:43:55 AM

Think the main question is what you are doing that has already consumed
the memory on your device?

With simple file management and the use of a card reader, 32 megs and a
memory card provides a fully usable environment, so, 64 megs should be
gravy.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!