Task Bar Text Pop Ups Hidden

We just had MS XP Home installed on our Dell computer. In the task bar near
the clock, the pop up text for several of the icons is hidden behind the task
bar. You can see just the top of the box, but not the text. Other icons
have the text pop up show clearly in front of the task bar. Any help on
getting the others to show? Thanks

--
JBB
4 answers Last reply

    Mine will do that after making changes to the Taskbar or User Accounts but
    after restarting the computer they will go back to normal.
    Maybe someone can explain why.

    --
    Good Day
    River Rat

    "JB" <JB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    We just had MS XP Home installed on our Dell computer. In the task bar near
    the clock, the pop up text for several of the icons is hidden behind the
    task
    bar. You can see just the top of the box, but not the text. Other icons
    have the text pop up show clearly in front of the task bar. Any help on
    getting the others to show? Thanks

    --
    JBB

    Thank you - you were correct. Now after a reboot it works fine - another MS
    mystery, I guess.

    "River_Rat" wrote:

    > Mine will do that after making changes to the Taskbar or User Accounts but
    > after restarting the computer they will go back to normal.
    > Maybe someone can explain why.
    >
    > --
    > Good Day
    > River Rat
    >

    > "JB" <JB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We just had MS XP Home installed on our Dell computer. In the task bar near
    > the clock, the pop up text for several of the icons is hidden behind the
    > task
    > bar. You can see just the top of the box, but not the text. Other icons
    > have the text pop up show clearly in front of the task bar. Any help on
    > getting the others to show? Thanks
    >
    > --
    > JBB

    I would think Logoff and logging back on should do it.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
    > Mine will do that after making changes to the Taskbar or User
    > Accounts but after restarting the computer they will go back to
    > normal.
    > Maybe someone can explain why.
    >
    > --
    > Good Day
    > River Rat
    >
    > "JB" <JB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We just had MS XP Home installed on our Dell computer. In the task
    > bar near the clock, the pop up text for several of the icons is
    > hidden behind the task
    > bar. You can see just the top of the box, but not the text. Other
    > icons have the text pop up show clearly in front of the task bar.
    > Any help on getting the others to show? Thanks

    JBB,

    This information from MVP Wesley Vogel should help:

    <Quote>

    Not really. This is a known problem. Either reboot or open the Task
    Manager...

    Ctrl + Shift + Escape | Processes tab | Locate and highlight
    explorer.exe | Right click explorer.exe | End Process | Answer
    Yes | File | New Task (Run...) | Type: explorer | OK

    End Task on explorer.exe will make your Desktop and all programs disappear.
    Restarting explorer will bring everything back.

    </Quote>

    Ref: http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&selm=6ACE72AB-D12C-44FF-A862-144BB38C0680%40microsoft.com

    Also see this from Raymond Chen [MS]
    http://weblogs.asp.net/oldnewthing/archive/2004/05/27/143042.aspx

    Q: "why the taskbar or the tray or taskbar toolbars sometimes lose their always on top setting and their tooltips show behind top level windows"

    A: It's not that the taskbar loses always-on-top; it's that there are two always-on-top windows, the tooltip and the taskbar, and they end up fighting with each other.

    More insight - from David Candy:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=tooltip+behind+author%3ADavid+author%3Acandy

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "JB" <JB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E080FCB-34CA-4D5A-BE40-33F3652EDE46@microsoft.com...
    We just had MS XP Home installed on our Dell computer. In the task bar near
    the clock, the pop up text for several of the icons is hidden behind the task
    bar. You can see just the top of the box, but not the text. Other icons
    have the text pop up show clearly in front of the task bar. Any help on
    getting the others to show? Thanks

    --
    JBB

Icons Windows XP