Need Help with OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V

NiklasK

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Well I'm currently building my first pc, and so far so good.
I got a Silverstone TJ-03 case, which I found out the day after I got it that the TJ-09 was released a week before. My bad, but I still like the looks of this case better. Anyways I also got an EvGa 680i motherboard and it fit perfectly.

Now the problem I have is installing the PSU. The chassis container for the PSU is big enough and the width matches the width of my powersupply snuggly, but my power supply is shorter than the container.
The problem that this creates is that the holes are completely off and I would have to lift the PSU 1/2 inch to screw it in. I would then however have 1/2 inch exposed from my cause which would screw with my airflow.

What options do I have in installing this PSU in my case ( I don't want to return it)? Would I need to mark where the screw-holes should be and then drill new holes or is there another simpler options like laying some heat-resistant block material in there to levy it up that 1/2 inch?

All help and advice appreciated,

~Niklas

NiklasK

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
No the plate came with it already attached (yes you can screw it off) but I mean the screw holes don't align with those of the PSU since they aren't 100% compatible.

NiklasK

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Do you have the PSU orented correctly? The fan faces down.

Yes, I'm sure I have everything placed correctly. I think it might be since my case is already 2 years old that it wasn't designed to accomadate the modern standard sizes of PSU's even though they differ immensely when comparing entirely different brands.

NiklasK

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
You have no clue what your talking about do you. The size and placement of the mounting screws hasn't changed since the first ATX PSU's came out. I built my new system about 4 months ago and i'm using a 6 year old case.

As i recall i heard of a case that used an adabter plate. Well the thing wasn't designed correctly so you couldn't get the PSU to fit. I just can't remember if this was the case. Though it would seam to be the one. You could always drill holes where you need them on the plate.

I'm an idiot :( I was just experimenting with the differnt ways of making my PSU fit when I noticed how it would fit perfectly if I flipped it so the fan would face up. Fac facing up = bad so instead I just unscrewed the metal frame and flipped it and now my PSU is installed with the fan facing the right way. Thanks a lot for your .......unquestionable wisdom :wink:

ibticktock

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
The fan faces down? Why? I have mine facing up in an Antec P180B. There is nothing in the instruction book that says anything about what is up or down.

ibticktock

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
In a standard ATX case the fan always points down on a PSU. In cases like the P180 and some Lain Li cases it can go either way. The case is designed so you can mount it in either directions. Otherwise the screw holes will only line up in one dirrection.

I woke up this morning thinking about this. A hassle I had with the wiring was that the molexes would only connect in one direction and I had to take each thread to the top of the case and then work downwards. Lots of extra thick stiff cables everywhere. If it wasn't such an involved long process with this particular case I would redo it with the PSU fan facing downward. It's too bad I never read about this before building it.