Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HomeWatcher v2.0 problem / question (bumtracks?)

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 6:06:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

I've been using HomeWatcher v1.5 for what seems like forever, but at the
suggestion of the program maker - I've upgraded to full version 2.0

However, this isn't working out exactly as I had hoped. With v1.5, the
program would only save as many webcam captures on my hard drive as needed
to create the time-lapse avi. So, if I had a video setting that would
create a time-lapse avi out of the last 400 webcam captures, the program
would only save a little over 400 of the latest images. ( automagically
deleting the older ones to make way for the newers ones ) This would allow
you to leave the program running indefinitely, with no worries of clogging
up your hard drive.

Now that I've installed version 2.0, I'm having this problem where the
program is saving EVERY capture that it makes, no matter the "max frames for
video" setting. So, if I turn it on in the morning, and have it set to take
a picture every 5 or 10 seconds, at the end of the day I'd have ASSLOADS of
captures in the homewatcher/image directory, no matter what settings I had
in the "max frames" video setting. With a few days' use, this would
completely fill my HD, and I don't see how to make it stop.

Anyone using this program that has had a similar problem?

I'd love to use the more recent version, since it is supposedly less of a
resource hog and has a few more features - but if I can't figure out how to
get it to quit gobbling up my HD space, there's no way I can do it.

Any help is appreciated, or I'm likely going back to 1.5 asap :) 

See my cam page at the url below, if ya haven't already...
--
The Toe Pages: http://www.rubbertoe.com
Freshly Redesigned! New Low-Tech Appeal!
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 6:09:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

FYI: I've deleted the time-lapse video from my web space, since the program
also doesn't seem willing to limit the .AVI to the last 400 frames, as the
settings seem to indicate that it should. Just as v2.0 is saving every
image it takes, it is also attempting to create and upload an AVI created of
every image that it has taken. ( Normally I have a video of about 1 meg,
with 400 of the most recent images, at 160x120 rez )

Perhaps if anyone knows all the nooks and crannies where HomeWatcher places
info in the registry, I can get in there and dig it all out and start from
scratch. Perhaps the upgrade from 1.5 free, to 1.5 full, to 2.0 full has
caused some hiccups.

Oh, and I'm running XPSP1 fyi2. :) 
--
The Toe Pages: http://www.rubbertoe.com
Freshly Redesigned! New Low-Tech Appeal!
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 7:04:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

Gah! This is frustrating...

Uninstalled... deleted all "homewatcher" strings from my registry...
resintalled, reregistered.... same problems - infinite saving of captured
images regardless of settings. *cry* heLp mE pLeASe!! *pulling hair*
*laugh*

--
The Toe Pages: http://www.rubbertoe.com
Freshly Redesigned! New Low-Tech Appeal!
Related resources
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 8:40:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

"Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
news:IOSEd.1904$8i7.459@fe1.columbus.rr.com...
> Gah! This is frustrating...
>
> Uninstalled... deleted all "homewatcher" strings from my registry...
> resintalled, reregistered.... same problems - infinite saving of captured
> images regardless of settings. *cry* heLp mE pLeASe!! *pulling hair*
> *laugh*
>

How about e-mailing their tech support?

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!
-------------------------------------------------------------
"To cook well, learn all about spices", Tom said sagely.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 2:07:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

I use v2.0 free edition
Preferences / Upload
check Local
check Latest Snapshot
check Snapshots
Max snpshts (local) 222 ((is my max# , works!))

"Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
news:mYREd.11094$wz6.6295@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> I've been using HomeWatcher v1.5 for what seems like forever, but at the
> suggestion of the program maker - I've upgraded to full version 2.0
>
> However, this isn't working out exactly as I had hoped. With v1.5, the
> program would only save as many webcam captures on my hard drive as needed
> to create the time-lapse avi. So, if I had a video setting that would
> create a time-lapse avi out of the last 400 webcam captures, the program
> would only save a little over 400 of the latest images. ( automagically
> deleting the older ones to make way for the newers ones ) This would
allow
> you to leave the program running indefinitely, with no worries of clogging
> up your hard drive.
>
> Now that I've installed version 2.0, I'm having this problem where the
> program is saving EVERY capture that it makes, no matter the "max frames
for
> video" setting. So, if I turn it on in the morning, and have it set to
take
> a picture every 5 or 10 seconds, at the end of the day I'd have ASSLOADS
of
> captures in the homewatcher/image directory, no matter what settings I had
> in the "max frames" video setting. With a few days' use, this would
> completely fill my HD, and I don't see how to make it stop.
>
> Anyone using this program that has had a similar problem?
>
> I'd love to use the more recent version, since it is supposedly less of a
> resource hog and has a few more features - but if I can't figure out how
to
> get it to quit gobbling up my HD space, there's no way I can do it.
>
> Any help is appreciated, or I'm likely going back to 1.5 asap :) 
>
> See my cam page at the url below, if ya haven't already...
> --
> The Toe Pages: http://www.rubbertoe.com
> Freshly Redesigned! New Low-Tech Appeal!
>
>
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 2:55:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

Tony Sutton <Tony@hypertony.co.ukNOSPAM> spewed:
> How about e-mailing their tech support?

Actually, the whole company, I think, I just the one guy that wrote the
program. It doesn't really appear to have been updated any time recently,
and I don't wanna bug the guy unless I have to. :)  I mean, when I
e-mailed about buying a registration key, I got a reply back from the main
dude there (Pjotr van Schothorst - CEO) so I'm guessing the tech staff would
be a bit light. heheh

I'm quite happy with 1.5, so even if we can't figure out what's going on
here in the group, I'll probably just go back to that until if/when v2.1 is
released. :) 

--
The Toe Pages: http://www.rubbertoe.com
Freshly Redesigned! New Low-Tech Appeal!
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 2:56:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

bumtracks <visitor@corner.bar> spewed:
> I use v2.0 free edition
> Preferences / Upload
> check Local
> check Latest Snapshot
> check Snapshots
> Max snpshts (local) 222 ((is my max# , works!))

Interesting... I've got a number significantly lower than that in there,
but it doesn't prevent the program from saving infinite images in the
homewatcher/image directory. I'll have to try "222" as well... maybe
that's the magic number. :) 

--
The Toe Pages: http://www.rubbertoe.com
Freshly Redesigned! New Low-Tech Appeal!
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 10:45:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

> > Max snpshts (local) 222 ((is my max# , works!))
>
> Interesting... I've got a number significantly lower than that in there,
> but it doesn't prevent the program from saving infinite images in the
> homewatcher/image directory. I'll have to try "222" as well... maybe
> that's the magic number. :) 

I don't usually save and serve like you're doing, this proggie takes
soo much time to try to learn how the program works,,, gotta fiddle with
everything to learn what should be self explanatory simple things. He
needs better documentation or something.
Umm I think I did what you're doing just now, never-ending endless bmp's
in /image and then seem to have eliminated it by going to...
Schedule and checkmarking everything in that window and setting all
intervals to 5 minutes. Appears every five minutes it will then try to make
an avi and when it achieves success it deletes the bmp's it was made from.
So if you do a little rough math you can schedule appropiate minutes to not
waste cpu with overly frequent avi attempts,,,, maybe ;)  its late,,,
see ya.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 3:44:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

bumtracks <visitor@corner.bar> spewed:
> I think I did what you're doing just now, never-ending
> endless bmp's in /image and then seem to have eliminated it by
> going to...
> Schedule and checkmarking everything in that window and setting all
> intervals to 5 minutes. Appears every five minutes it will then try
> to make an avi and when it achieves success it deletes the bmp's it
> was made from. So if you do a little rough math you can schedule
> appropiate minutes to not waste cpu with overly frequent avi
> attempts,,,, maybe ;)  its late,,, see ya.

Interesting... I'll give that a shot... the 222 thing didn't work :) 

But yeah, that kinda makes sense, in a "I shouldn't have to figure this out
myself" kind of way. *laugh*
--
The Toe Pages: http://www.rubbertoe.com
Freshly Redesigned! New Low-Tech Appeal!
!