Please help...Broken sound when using Logitech 4000 pro wi..

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
January 12, 2005 12:21:48 PM

Hi all

My brother is emigrating to Australia in a couple of weeks and we have
been trying to set up some webcams (2 x Logitech 4000 Pro) so we can
chat.

Using MSN Messenger we can use the webcams fine, except that the sound
quality is awful. The sound is basically broken up so much that I cant
understand him.

With the webcams switched off, the sound is fine.

The PC I have is a homebuilt XP2200 with Asus A7V8X-MX, 512 DDR333.
My brother PC is a noname XP2000 laptop, and he has no problems with
sound.

Is their a setting I need to set in order to correct this? Is their
anything lse I can try?

Please help

regards

Harry
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 2:08:13 PM

don't know what cpu A7V8X-MX uses - do you and guess it has an onboard
sound blaster spec card
What kind of internet connection do you have dial up with what kind of
speed ? If sound works with video off maybe the connection is just too
slow or the video is just too big. That cam works great on dsl even on
amd/500cpu

"Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> My brother is emigrating to Australia in a couple of weeks and we have
> been trying to set up some webcams (2 x Logitech 4000 Pro) so we can
> chat.
>
> Using MSN Messenger we can use the webcams fine, except that the sound
> quality is awful. The sound is basically broken up so much that I cant
> understand him.
>
> With the webcams switched off, the sound is fine.
>
> The PC I have is a homebuilt XP2200 with Asus A7V8X-MX, 512 DDR333.
> My brother PC is a noname XP2000 laptop, and he has no problems with
> sound.
>
> Is their a setting I need to set in order to correct this? Is their
> anything lse I can try?
>
> Please help
>
> regards
>
> Harry

January 12, 2005 4:54:30 PM

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:08:13 GMT, "bumtracks" <visitor@corner.bar>
wrote:

I should have said.

Its a AMD XP2200
Yes, it is onboard sound (Soundmax ADI AD1980 6-channel CODEC)
The graphics is a S3 Graphics integrated UniChrome chipset
and I use DSL 1Mb line.

Harry

> don't know what cpu A7V8X-MX uses - do you and guess it has an onboard
>sound blaster spec card
>What kind of internet connection do you have dial up with what kind of
>speed ? If sound works with video off maybe the connection is just too
>slow or the video is just too big. That cam works great on dsl even on
>amd/500cpu
>
>"Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
>> Hi all
>>
>> My brother is emigrating to Australia in a couple of weeks and we have
>> been trying to set up some webcams (2 x Logitech 4000 Pro) so we can
>> chat.
>>
>> Using MSN Messenger we can use the webcams fine, except that the sound
>> quality is awful. The sound is basically broken up so much that I cant
>> understand him.
>>
>> With the webcams switched off, the sound is fine.
>>
>> The PC I have is a homebuilt XP2200 with Asus A7V8X-MX, 512 DDR333.
>> My brother PC is a noname XP2000 laptop, and he has no problems with
>> sound.
>>
>> Is their a setting I need to set in order to correct this? Is their
>> anything lse I can try?
>>
>> Please help
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Harry

Anonymous
January 12, 2005 6:13:52 PM

Harry,
Download "PALTALK" which is a free video/voice/text chat site.
Use "paltalk" for voice & MSN messenger 6.2 for video.
An alternative is to download "SKYPE" (a free voice/text site) &
use MSN 6.2 video. From my experience MSN 6.2 has the best video
as compared to others i have used. (Paltalk, Yahoo) Good Luck!

"Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> My brother is emigrating to Australia in a couple of weeks and we have
> been trying to set up some webcams (2 x Logitech 4000 Pro) so we can
> chat.
>
> Using MSN Messenger we can use the webcams fine, except that the sound
> quality is awful. The sound is basically broken up so much that I cant
> understand him.
>
> With the webcams switched off, the sound is fine.
>
> The PC I have is a homebuilt XP2200 with Asus A7V8X-MX, 512 DDR333.
> My brother PC is a noname XP2000 laptop, and he has no problems with
> sound.
>
> Is their a setting I need to set in order to correct this? Is their
> anything lse I can try?
>
> Please help
>
> regards
>
> Harry

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 2:52:39 AM

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:21:48 +0000, Harry <A@A.A> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>My brother is emigrating to Australia in a couple of weeks and we have
>been trying to set up some webcams (2 x Logitech 4000 Pro) so we can
>chat.
>
>Using MSN Messenger we can use the webcams fine, except that the sound
>quality is awful. The sound is basically broken up so much that I cant
>understand him.
>
>With the webcams switched off, the sound is fine.
>
>The PC I have is a homebuilt XP2200 with Asus A7V8X-MX, 512 DDR333.
>My brother PC is a noname XP2000 laptop, and he has no problems with
>sound.
>
>Is their a setting I need to set in order to correct this? Is their
>anything lse I can try?
>
>Please help
>
>regards
>
>Harry

In the past most people type when the video is running, and pause
the video when they want to talk. Buying more bandwidth might
help.
January 13, 2005 1:37:36 PM

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:52:39 GMT, shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si
Ballenger) wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:21:48 +0000, Harry <A@A.A> wrote:
>
>>Hi all
>>
>>My brother is emigrating to Australia in a couple of weeks and we have
>>been trying to set up some webcams (2 x Logitech 4000 Pro) so we can
>>chat.
>>
>>Using MSN Messenger we can use the webcams fine, except that the sound
>>quality is awful. The sound is basically broken up so much that I cant
>>understand him.
>>
>>With the webcams switched off, the sound is fine.
>>
>>The PC I have is a homebuilt XP2200 with Asus A7V8X-MX, 512 DDR333.
>>My brother PC is a noname XP2000 laptop, and he has no problems with
>>sound.
>>
>>Is their a setting I need to set in order to correct this? Is their
>>anything lse I can try?
>>
>>Please help
>>
>>regards
>>
>>Harry
>>

>In the past most people type when the video is running, and pause
>the video when they want to talk. Buying more bandwidth might
>help.
I have a 1MB line just now. Surely I dont need more than that do I?
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 2:19:33 AM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:37:36 +0000, Harry <A@A.A> wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:52:39 GMT, shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si
>Ballenger) wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:21:48 +0000, Harry <A@A.A> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all
>>>
>>>My brother is emigrating to Australia in a couple of weeks and we have
>>>been trying to set up some webcams (2 x Logitech 4000 Pro) so we can
>>>chat.
>>>
>>>Using MSN Messenger we can use the webcams fine, except that the sound
>>>quality is awful. The sound is basically broken up so much that I cant
>>>understand him.
>>>
>>>With the webcams switched off, the sound is fine.
>>>
>>>The PC I have is a homebuilt XP2200 with Asus A7V8X-MX, 512 DDR333.
>>>My brother PC is a noname XP2000 laptop, and he has no problems with
>>>sound.
>>>
>>>Is their a setting I need to set in order to correct this? Is their
>>>anything lse I can try?
>>>
>>>Please help
>>>
>>>regards
>>>
>>>Harry
>>>

>>In the past most people type when the video is running, and pause
>>the video when they want to talk. Buying more bandwidth might
>>help.

>I have a 1MB line just now. Surely I dont need more than that do I?

Most residential lines have much bigger download bandwidth than
upload bandwidth. My cable service has ~1.5mb download, but only
~250kb upload. This means that a 60% compressed 320X240 jpg video
at 10KB (80kb) will get maybe 4 fps upload speed. Below are some
speed test sites that will measure your upload speeds as well as
down load speeds.

http://chi.speakeasy.net/
http://nyc.speakeasy.net/
http://lax.speakeasy.net/