Please help...Broken sound when using Logitech 4000 pro wi..

Hi all

My brother is emigrating to Australia in a couple of weeks and we have
been trying to set up some webcams (2 x Logitech 4000 Pro) so we can
chat.

Using MSN Messenger we can use the webcams fine, except that the sound
quality is awful. The sound is basically broken up so much that I cant
understand him.

With the webcams switched off, the sound is fine.

The PC I have is a homebuilt XP2200 with Asus A7V8X-MX, 512 DDR333.
My brother PC is a noname XP2000 laptop, and he has no problems with
sound.

Is their a setting I need to set in order to correct this? Is their
anything lse I can try?

Please help

regards

Harry
6 answers Last reply
More about please help broken sound logitech 4000

    don't know what cpu A7V8X-MX uses - do you and guess it has an onboard
    sound blaster spec card
    What kind of internet connection do you have dial up with what kind of
    speed ? If sound works with video off maybe the connection is just too
    slow or the video is just too big. That cam works great on dsl even on
    amd/500cpu

    "Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > My brother is emigrating to Australia in a couple of weeks and we have
    > been trying to set up some webcams (2 x Logitech 4000 Pro) so we can
    > chat.
    >
    > Using MSN Messenger we can use the webcams fine, except that the sound
    > quality is awful. The sound is basically broken up so much that I cant
    > understand him.
    >
    > With the webcams switched off, the sound is fine.
    >
    > The PC I have is a homebuilt XP2200 with Asus A7V8X-MX, 512 DDR333.
    > My brother PC is a noname XP2000 laptop, and he has no problems with
    > sound.
    >
    > Is their a setting I need to set in order to correct this? Is their
    > anything lse I can try?
    >
    > Please help
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Harry

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:08:13 GMT, "bumtracks" <visitor@corner.bar>
    wrote:

    I should have said.

    Its a AMD XP2200
    Yes, it is onboard sound (Soundmax ADI AD1980 6-channel CODEC)
    The graphics is a S3 Graphics integrated UniChrome chipset
    and I use DSL 1Mb line.

    Harry

    > don't know what cpu A7V8X-MX uses - do you and guess it has an onboard
    >sound blaster spec card
    >What kind of internet connection do you have dial up with what kind of
    >speed ? If sound works with video off maybe the connection is just too
    >slow or the video is just too big. That cam works great on dsl even on
    >amd/500cpu
    >
    >"Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> My brother is emigrating to Australia in a couple of weeks and we have
    >> been trying to set up some webcams (2 x Logitech 4000 Pro) so we can
    >> chat.
    >>
    >> Using MSN Messenger we can use the webcams fine, except that the sound
    >> quality is awful. The sound is basically broken up so much that I cant
    >> understand him.
    >>
    >> With the webcams switched off, the sound is fine.
    >>
    >> The PC I have is a homebuilt XP2200 with Asus A7V8X-MX, 512 DDR333.
    >> My brother PC is a noname XP2000 laptop, and he has no problems with
    >> sound.
    >>
    >> Is their a setting I need to set in order to correct this? Is their
    >> anything lse I can try?
    >>
    >> Please help
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Harry

    Harry,
    Download "PALTALK" which is a free video/voice/text chat site.
    Use "paltalk" for voice & MSN messenger 6.2 for video.
    An alternative is to download "SKYPE" (a free voice/text site) &
    use MSN 6.2 video. From my experience MSN 6.2 has the best video
    as compared to others i have used. (Paltalk, Yahoo) Good Luck!

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:21:48 +0000, Harry <A@A.A> wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >My brother is emigrating to Australia in a couple of weeks and we have
    >been trying to set up some webcams (2 x Logitech 4000 Pro) so we can
    >chat.
    >
    >Using MSN Messenger we can use the webcams fine, except that the sound
    >quality is awful. The sound is basically broken up so much that I cant
    >understand him.
    >
    >With the webcams switched off, the sound is fine.
    >
    >The PC I have is a homebuilt XP2200 with Asus A7V8X-MX, 512 DDR333.
    >My brother PC is a noname XP2000 laptop, and he has no problems with
    >sound.
    >
    >Is their a setting I need to set in order to correct this? Is their
    >anything lse I can try?
    >
    >Please help
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Harry

    In the past most people type when the video is running, and pause
    the video when they want to talk. Buying more bandwidth might
    help.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:52:39 GMT, shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si
    Ballenger) wrote:

    >On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:21:48 +0000, Harry <A@A.A> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all
    >>
    >>My brother is emigrating to Australia in a couple of weeks and we have
    >>been trying to set up some webcams (2 x Logitech 4000 Pro) so we can
    >>chat.
    >>
    >>Using MSN Messenger we can use the webcams fine, except that the sound
    >>quality is awful. The sound is basically broken up so much that I cant
    >>understand him.
    >>
    >>With the webcams switched off, the sound is fine.
    >>
    >>The PC I have is a homebuilt XP2200 with Asus A7V8X-MX, 512 DDR333.
    >>My brother PC is a noname XP2000 laptop, and he has no problems with
    >>sound.
    >>
    >>Is their a setting I need to set in order to correct this? Is their
    >>anything lse I can try?
    >>
    >>Please help
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Harry
    >>

    >In the past most people type when the video is running, and pause
    >the video when they want to talk. Buying more bandwidth might
    >help.
    I have a 1MB line just now. Surely I dont need more than that do I?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:37:36 +0000, Harry <A@A.A> wrote:

    >On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:52:39 GMT, shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si
    >Ballenger) wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:21:48 +0000, Harry <A@A.A> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all
    >>>
    >>>My brother is emigrating to Australia in a couple of weeks and we have
    >>>been trying to set up some webcams (2 x Logitech 4000 Pro) so we can
    >>>chat.
    >>>
    >>>Using MSN Messenger we can use the webcams fine, except that the sound
    >>>quality is awful. The sound is basically broken up so much that I cant
    >>>understand him.
    >>>
    >>>With the webcams switched off, the sound is fine.
    >>>
    >>>The PC I have is a homebuilt XP2200 with Asus A7V8X-MX, 512 DDR333.
    >>>My brother PC is a noname XP2000 laptop, and he has no problems with
    >>>sound.
    >>>
    >>>Is their a setting I need to set in order to correct this? Is their
    >>>anything lse I can try?
    >>>
    >>>Please help
    >>>
    >>>regards
    >>>
    >>>Harry
    >>>

    >>In the past most people type when the video is running, and pause
    >>the video when they want to talk. Buying more bandwidth might
    >>help.

    >I have a 1MB line just now. Surely I dont need more than that do I?

    Most residential lines have much bigger download bandwidth than
    upload bandwidth. My cable service has ~1.5mb download, but only
    ~250kb upload. This means that a 60% compressed 320X240 jpg video
    at 10KB (80kb) will get maybe 4 fps upload speed. Below are some
    speed test sites that will measure your upload speeds as well as
    down load speeds.

    http://chi.speakeasy.net/
    http://nyc.speakeasy.net/
    http://lax.speakeasy.net/