trying a new install of xp

I replaced the hard drive in my son's H-P pavillion and was trying to install
xp but I keep getting "no operating system found". How do I get it to read
from the cd drive? Anything else I might be doing wrong?Thanks in advance B.

coonrod70 wrote:
> I replaced the hard drive in my son's H-P pavillion and was trying to install
> xp but I keep getting "no operating system found". How do I get it to read
> from the cd drive? Anything else I might be doing wrong?Thanks in advance B.

You should be able to access the BIOS on startup. Check to make sure
your CD is set to be the first thing in your boot sequence.
Check your manual on what you need to do to access the BIOS.
the process varies. Sometime it's right on the screen when
you boot up. Something like hit the del key to enter setup.
one our Compacs it's F10

gls858

Do you have the BIOS set to boot off the Hard Drive? To install it must be
set to boot off the CD first not the Hard Drive. It is fine to set the boot
sequence to something like Floppy, CD-Rom, Hard Drive or A,CD-Rom,C etc but
the CD-Rom Drive must be listed before the Hard Drive so it can be booted.
Check here for more info on installing
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm Scroll to the bottom of
the page if you need detailed instruction.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"coonrod70" <coonrod70@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I replaced the hard drive in my son's H-P pavillion and was trying to
install
| xp but I keep getting "no operating system found". How do I get it to read
| from the cd drive? Anything else I might be doing wrong?Thanks in advance
B.

You will need to enter the Bios and change the boot order to boot from the
CD-Rom before the Harddrive then boot from the XP CD which has all the tools
to Create a Partition and Format the drive.

How to enter the Bios in a HP Desktop.
Start tapping the F1 key before the HP splash screen appears, go to the boot
order by using the arrow keys on the keyboard.
I believe by setting the defaults on HP the boot order will be
Floppy>CD-Rom>HDD, but you can set them manually and exit saving changes.

--
Good Day
River Rat

In news:13E4155B-7C8D-4B97-8D18-65111A16F123@microsoft.com,
coonrod70 <coonrod70@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

>I replaced the hard drive in my son's H-P pavillion and was
>trying to
> install xp but I keep getting "no operating system found". How
> do I
> get it to read from the cd drive? Anything else I might be
> doing
> wrong?Thanks in advance B.

Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
prompted, then create a new one).

You can find detailed instructions here:

or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

Please reply to the newsgroup

"coonrod70" <coonrod70@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I replaced the hard drive in my son's H-P pavillion and was trying to
>install
> xp but I keep getting "no operating system found". How do I get it to read
> from the cd drive? Anything else I might be doing wrong?Thanks in advance
> B.

You need to make the CD drive bootable.

You do this in your BIOS. Usually during bootup you will see a DOS screen
that offers you the option of pressing "F2" or "Delete" to access the
settings. You then need to find the boot settings/order for your system. All
systems are different in their combination of menus so it is a case of
search for it. It isn't difficult, but dont change any of the other settings
if you are not familiar with accessing the BIOS.

coonrod70 wrote:
> I replaced the hard drive in my son's H-P pavillion and was trying to
> install xp but I keep getting "no operating system found". How do I
> get it to read from the cd drive? Anything else I might be doing
> wrong?Thanks in advance B.

You need to RTFM and learn how to change the boot order in the BIOS, though
I suspect, this is going to be the least of your problems. If the system
came with XP preinstalled, then you do not have any means of restoring the
operating system. HP installs an image of the OS on a hidden partition on
the hard drive and then the accompanying CD is used to 'unlock' the
partition and install the operating system. Now you have removed the hard
drive, and replaced it, of course the image is no longer available - there
is no operating system on the CD that accompanies an HP machine.

If this is the case, then you will need to purchase a new full version of
XP. This will, of course, render your HP warranty null and void. This is why
I would never recommend an HP system to anyone. You have to purchase a new
hard drive from HP (at four or five times the cost) or a full version of the
OS.

If that isn't the problem, post back.

on salads.

Are you sure that the version of XP is not an upgrade ??? Upgrades wont
install on a new blank disk
John

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:06:15 -0500, JohnR wrote:

> Are you sure that the version of XP is not an upgrade ??? Upgrades wont
> install on a new blank disk

Sure they will. There is a point in setup where you're prompted to insert
the CD with an older version of Windows but other than that, the clean
install will occur.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

In news:y72dnXszvMzkJnjcRVn-hg@comcast.com,
JohnR <onejm@comcast.net> typed:

> Are you sure that the version of XP is not an upgrade ???
> Upgrades
> wont install on a new blank disk

No, this is not correct.

The requirement to use an upgrade version is to *own* a previous
qualifying version's installation CD (with an OEM restore CD, see
below), not to have it installed. When setup doesn't find a
previous qualifying version installed, it will prompt you to
insert its CD as proof of ownership. Just insert the previous
version's CD, and follow the prompts. Everything proceeds quite
normally and quite legitimately.

You can also do a clean install if you have an OEM restore CD of
a previous qualifying version. It's more complicated, but it
*can* be done. First restore from the Restore CD. Then run the XP
upgrade CD from within that restored system, and change from
Upgrade to New Install. When it asks where, press Esc to delete
the partition and start over.

Please reply to the newsgroup

The problem reported by the OP is that the XP cd is not booting the system
in the first place. It is just a boot order problem easily fixed per the