help - what stops a computer entering post?

pandb

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
my computer just suddenly stop booting up the other day. heck, it doesn't even enter post. but it was working before.

i have a p5b deluxe which has a power led. the led is blue, so it is getting power from the PSU. however, when i turn the computer on, the cpu fan starts for a second, the mobo led turn red (on) BUT then everything powers down in 1 sec!

Any ideas? is it a short-circuit or broken mobo i.e. fried component?

any help is appreciated.

p150 with neo he 430
p5b deluxe
e6300
scythe ninja
2 gb corsair ram

WolfDragon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I had a similar issue before, here is what I found.

The lights you get typically indicate +5 volt standby power is active (typically a purple wire) but this circuit is on a different section of the power supply than the big guns so to speak with your 5 (red) and 12 (yellow) volt rails. If any of those fail then the computer will not start due to lack of power. To my knowledge there are no error codes for this since the computer doesnt even begin any self checking since it cannot even start initial power on.

For my case I found that bad capacitors in the CPU power supply led to the destruction of one these rails due to overloading, overheating, and then arching on both the motherboard and inside the PSU. I have to admit it was a rather spectacular failure.

Now if you are lucky then only one component is to blame.

As for testing the motherboard, see if you can borrow a powersupply for a buddy or use a known working spare and see if the system starts up, if not then you need to look at a replacement motherboard and possibly memory and/or CPU. Power issues can be really mean when they occur, case in point a brand new gaming rig with an FX series CPU and SLI had an issue on initial boot, and every component got wasted.

A trick that I have seen work in rare occasions was pulling the battery and resetting the cmos for an extended period of time (15 minutes or so). This should not change anything but I have seen them mysteriously come back to life and continue working without a single glitch.

To see if all is not lost here's a quick and dirty way of testing a PSU.

To test your PSU, take it out of the case and see if it passes the sniff test, if it smells like "unholy electrical death" (yes that is a technical term) then you know that it's bitten the dust. If you have never had the joys of first hand experience in releasing the magical blue smoke that makes transistors and other components work, compare the smell to that of a known working rig, if the PSU smells worse then its gone.

Providing the blue smoke hasn't been let loose, you can turn on the PSU by shorting what is typically the green wire to ground, consult your documentation for what is the PSU On wire, not the pwr good wire.

If all your voltages are within spec and you happen to have a few car tail lamp bulbs (the 12 volt non LED variety) around, see if the 5v and the 12v rails can keep the bulb lit for more then 5 seconds, if yes then the power supply should be good to go.

Note, the 12v test will make the bulb MUCH brighter then the 5v test

TrueTenacity

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
You can also check to see if your CPU heatsink is touching the cpu and working...

If it's not, the cpu will heat up VERY fast and thanks to the smart guys at intel & AMD the cpu's of today have a thermal cutout which forces the system off if the cpu temp goes over a certain threshhold...

pandb

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Thanks.

I have read that the Antec NeoHE 430 PSU (supplied with the P150 case) is quite problematic. pity as it has been good and quiet and it is great value with the case.

I will test my rig with another psu to see whether that resolves my problem. If it does, I will probably switch to a seasonic PSU.

olmecoid

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
HI
This happened to me twice with two different problems. The first one was a dead video card. The second time with a bad usb case-mobo connector. Then, my advice will be as follows:
Try to boot up with the bare minimum. I mean hard drive and video card. If your pc resuscitates then some of the other components could be doing something weird.
If you can not boot try with a different video card and your hard drive. The main thing is to check if any of your components are dead. Try even taking out any non essential case to mobo connector.
If you successfully boot try adding a piece of hardware at a time (including case to mobo conectors such as usb firewire.). If nothing happens then try with a different psu. 8)

Bjorn0

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I would say that if you are going to power up with the minimum, you should forgo the hard drive and maybe include some memory... call me crazy but last time I checked computers won't post without memory :)

Olmecoid has the right idea, always start from the bare minimum if something stumps you.

The most common problem I have noticed when this happens is as loose or bad peripherial. Strip it down and if it works, just start adding components back in until you find the culprit. If everything works, then it was just a loose component.

Checking the PSU is also a good idea.