Checklist Form in Pocket Word

March 16, 2005 9:53:01 PM

I have a Dell Axim X3i PDA with Pocket Word and am an IT Tech who
specifically sets up hardware. I'm not a programmer or software engineer by
any stretch of the imagination bit I've dabbled with MS Word XP for basic
word processing. I want to use MS Word's 'Forms' toolbar to create a
checklist (checkboxes) of steps for hardware setup around the office I can
checkoff the form as I go. For instance, if I can create the checklist in
Word XP on my office PC, I'd sync the PDA and upload the Word doc onto the
PDA. Then go around the office and check off the steps I've taken so far in
any old hardware building project I'm tasked with (ie, checklist for setting
up a PDA on a VPs office computer). Can anyone give me direction on creating
compatible forms like these using MS Word XP? Is there a website that lists
instructions on how to do this?
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 11:35:47 PM

Nice idea in theory, but the current iteration of Pocket Word doesn't
support "rich" document items such as tables, form objects etc. There
is a piece of software knocking around, which is freeware, that allows
you to create forms directly in your PDA that are sent to an ascii text
file. This could then be uploaded to your word document and
automatically create the completed forms for you. A professional
version of the product is available for around $100 which supports ODBC
and wifi.

Having tantalised you with all that, I cannot for the life of me
remember the name of the application. I will look it up tonight at
home and post it here later.

JamesF
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 2:18:16 AM

Right click the menu bar at the top of Word and select 'Forms' toolbar. You
should now see a toolbar with check boxes and radio buttons. Add them
wherever you want (Just a matter of preference, but what I like to do is
create my forms using tables for margins, etc. You can hide any line, and I
think you get a much better form, especially if you are using check boxes
and form fields).

The last thing to remember is to lock the form so you don't overwrite your
data. You do this by clicking the little lock on the same forms toolbar. I
wouldn't worry about password protecting it. Just locking it should suffice.
Good luck!

Andy

"a144mb" <a144mb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Axim X3i PDA with Pocket Word and am an IT Tech who
> specifically sets up hardware. I'm not a programmer or software engineer
> by
> any stretch of the imagination bit I've dabbled with MS Word XP for basic
> word processing. I want to use MS Word's 'Forms' toolbar to create a
> checklist (checkboxes) of steps for hardware setup around the office I can
> checkoff the form as I go. For instance, if I can create the checklist in
> Word XP on my office PC, I'd sync the PDA and upload the Word doc onto the
> PDA. Then go around the office and check off the steps I've taken so far
> in
> any old hardware building project I'm tasked with (ie, checklist for
> setting
> up a PDA on a VPs office computer). Can anyone give me direction on
> creating
> compatible forms like these using MS Word XP? Is there a website that
> lists
> instructions on how to do this?
March 17, 2005 2:23:23 AM

James brings up a very good point. I forgot that most excel/word docs lose
much functionality when converted to pocket word/excel. I'm thinking you
would lose your check boxes.

--
Sincerely,

Andy Stack
"JamesF" <jefranklin18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Nice idea in theory, but the current iteration of Pocket Word doesn't
> support "rich" document items such as tables, form objects etc. There
> is a piece of software knocking around, which is freeware, that allows
> you to create forms directly in your PDA that are sent to an ascii text
> file. This could then be uploaded to your word document and
> automatically create the completed forms for you. A professional
> version of the product is available for around $100 which supports ODBC
> and wifi.
>
> Having tantalised you with all that, I cannot for the life of me
> remember the name of the application. I will look it up tonight at
> home and post it here later.
>
> JamesF

March 17, 2005 8:10:47 AM

Check out a program called Textmaker from Softmaker. The program comes
in multiple flavors, two of which are for Pocket PC as well as Windows.
I like it so much that I have & use both. They both have the vast
majority of functionality of Word.

Textmaker on the PPC will do checkboxes. I happen to use it myself to do
similar things that you want to do as well.

They are not real expensive, but more than most PPC programs. Compared
to Word its a bargain. Sometime you'll find these programs on sale; for
the past two years 11 Nov one could buy it for $11.11.

Support is excellent on their forums and occasionally they will make an
appearance on these newsgroups.

http://www.softmaker.com/english/index_en.htm

Jim

a144mb wrote:
> I have a Dell Axim X3i PDA with Pocket Word and am an IT Tech who
> specifically sets up hardware. I'm not a programmer or software engineer by
> any stretch of the imagination bit I've dabbled with MS Word XP for basic
> word processing. I want to use MS Word's 'Forms' toolbar to create a
> checklist (checkboxes) of steps for hardware setup around the office I can
> checkoff the form as I go. For instance, if I can create the checklist in
> Word XP on my office PC, I'd sync the PDA and upload the Word doc onto the
> PDA. Then go around the office and check off the steps I've taken so far in
> any old hardware building project I'm tasked with (ie, checklist for setting
> up a PDA on a VPs office computer). Can anyone give me direction on creating
> compatible forms like these using MS Word XP? Is there a website that lists
> instructions on how to do this?
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 2:39:01 PM

Thanks for all of your responses! You've been most helpful.

"a144mb" wrote:

> I have a Dell Axim X3i PDA with Pocket Word and am an IT Tech who
> specifically sets up hardware. I'm not a programmer or software engineer by
> any stretch of the imagination bit I've dabbled with MS Word XP for basic
> word processing. I want to use MS Word's 'Forms' toolbar to create a
> checklist (checkboxes) of steps for hardware setup around the office I can
> checkoff the form as I go. For instance, if I can create the checklist in
> Word XP on my office PC, I'd sync the PDA and upload the Word doc onto the
> PDA. Then go around the office and check off the steps I've taken so far in
> any old hardware building project I'm tasked with (ie, checklist for setting
> up a PDA on a VPs office computer). Can anyone give me direction on creating
> compatible forms like these using MS Word XP? Is there a website that lists
> instructions on how to do this?
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 5:13:36 PM

That's the one I was thinking of. :)

JamesF
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 7:52:57 PM

I would suggest that instead of trying to do that with Word you do it with a
software that specializes on that, like Listpro from www.iliumsoft.com

Helio Diamant - MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
Editor-in-Chief
Pocket PC Freak - The Hebrew Pocket PC site
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
"a144mb" <a144mb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Axim X3i PDA with Pocket Word and am an IT Tech who
> specifically sets up hardware. I'm not a programmer or software engineer
> by
> any stretch of the imagination bit I've dabbled with MS Word XP for basic
> word processing. I want to use MS Word's 'Forms' toolbar to create a
> checklist (checkboxes) of steps for hardware setup around the office I can
> checkoff the form as I go. For instance, if I can create the checklist in
> Word XP on my office PC, I'd sync the PDA and upload the Word doc onto the
> PDA. Then go around the office and check off the steps I've taken so far
> in
> any old hardware building project I'm tasked with (ie, checklist for
> setting
> up a PDA on a VPs office computer). Can anyone give me direction on
> creating
> compatible forms like these using MS Word XP? Is there a website that
> lists
> instructions on how to do this?
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 9:09:27 PM

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:53:01 -0800, a144mb
<a144mb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a Dell Axim X3i PDA with Pocket Word and am an IT Tech who
>specifically sets up hardware. I'm not a programmer or software engineer by
>any stretch of the imagination bit I've dabbled with MS Word XP for basic
>word processing. I want to use MS Word's 'Forms' toolbar to create a
>checklist (checkboxes) of steps for hardware setup around the office I can
>checkoff the form as I go. For instance, if I can create the checklist in
>Word XP on my office PC, I'd sync the PDA and upload the Word doc onto the
>PDA. Then go around the office and check off the steps I've taken so far in
>any old hardware building project I'm tasked with (ie, checklist for setting
>up a PDA on a VPs office computer). Can anyone give me direction on creating
>compatible forms like these using MS Word XP? Is there a website that lists
>instructions on how to do this?

It might be overkill, but have you checked out XSDesigner and XSForms
from http://www.grandasoft.com/

---
Mark A.
!