is my external hard disk going bad

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
Now as soon as I plug my external hard disk into computer ( 2), the CPU will run at 100% and system of course slow down dramatically. Does it mean that the external hard disk is going bad. The defragmentation run OK.

Thanks.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I would blame software rather than hardware. It could just be a windows USB issue, maybe driver related, maybe virus or spyware...

Could also be the external chipset issue, but I doubt that... since the external control chip really shouldn't go bad...

Are you trying to access the hdd and then your computer slows down? Then it might mean it's the hdd... the computers having trouble accessing it and is getting hanged up...

I have 7 external HDD's and I don't think this happens to me very often. However, I know I had a dead hdd once that wouldn't work, and when I plugged it into an external and plugged it into my comp, tried to access it, my comp went to hell... shrug...

GetDataBack is your friend.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Do you have autorun/autoplay disabled. Otherwise it will search for every file type on the hard drive then attempt to determine what program is the best to launch.

Its it just a momentary slowdown (which is normal) or does it persists.

What processes is taking up all the CPU time?

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
at first I suspect that because I have a lot of small file so the process of identifying them as you said may take time. However, I think an Athlon 3200+ should be strong enough to do those "secretary" things. iexplorer.exe is the one that take 99% of CPU.