Sign in with
Your question

8800GTX Talking In Morse Code?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 15, 2006 1:11:23 PM

Well I bought an 8800GTX and the screw holes don't exactly line up in my Thermaltake Armor case and an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe. I screwed it down the best I could but I kept getting 1 long beep and 3 short beeps. I figured it was the card. I unscrewed it and would manually wiggle it around to try and get something to show up on my monitor [of course I did the wiggling between pushing the power button on and off]. So the display finally came up...GREAT...installed drivers...ran some 3DMark06....running smooth. Being in the bottom PCIe slot of my case I had something under it propping it up [the card is quite heavy] to keep it in it's working position since I couldn't screw it down all the way.

So I moved the case back to it's spot in my room and I guess in turn moved the card while the power was on and the screen went blank. Re-wiggle and restart good. I decided to mess with the timing of my RAM in the BIOS and I got to a point where the BIOS wouldn't post....so I took out my 8800GTX to get to the jumper to reset the BIOS. I put the 8800GTX back in and since then I can't get the sucker to show me something on my monitor. I keep getting 1 long beep and 3 short beeps....which PCHell.com tells me...is the EGA [Enhanced Graphics Adapter]. I pop my old 7800GTX back in and viola...boots like a champ. Soooooooo....do I now have a $600 paperweight? What do you guys think?
December 15, 2006 1:35:21 PM

I wouldnt call it a paperweight yet. the error code means that the bios couldn't properly initialize an EGA/VGA card. could mean its not seen (as in not inserted), or it could be a failure of the card.

you said you had it in bottom slot, try a different PCI-E slot (if you have one avail).
December 15, 2006 1:47:05 PM

Ah yes I forgot to say that....I did try the other slot as well unfortunately. I checked the PSU calculator and my setup seems to be 600W with that 8800GTX...it's a shot in the dark but could it maybe be my PSU? The fan on the 8800 still spins...but that doesn't necessarily mean much. I have a PC Power & Cooling 500W PSU. It was only running for about 35~45 minutes before it stopped doing what a video card is supposed to be doing.
Related resources
December 15, 2006 4:58:24 PM

Quote:
Ah yes I forgot to say that....I did try the other slot as well unfortunately. I checked the PSU calculator and my setup seems to be 600W with that 8800GTX...it's a shot in the dark but could it maybe be my PSU? The fan on the 8800 still spins...but that doesn't necessarily mean much. I have a PC Power & Cooling 500W PSU. It was only running for about 35~45 minutes before it stopped doing what a video card is supposed to be doing.

I have a 650 watt PSU but i also have an pretty energy demanding OC and i need to jumper and external psupply to get my 8800GTX to work properly, but i also was not experiencing what you are, i just had stability issues. ive never had a problem posting, but if your vid card is making a noise i know when i didnt have the external psu on before i turnned on the computer one time the GPU made this loud beep, i guess it doesnt boot to protect the system when it doesnt have supplemental power.

you can see my thread here

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

on the other hand if it moved and you turned the pc on and it wasnt in the slot all the way just half way? ive fried something like that before cannot remember what it was, might of been ram. to me it sounds like its dead and hopfully your manufacturer has a RMA program or something?
a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2006 5:42:55 PM

The beeping means that your video card is not seated properly or not working properly.
Make shure that it is seated in the slot properly, ie. all the way in.
If that does not help you should rma the card.

What is the amp rating on your 500w psu?
You may need to upgrade it as well.
December 15, 2006 8:14:56 PM

Output specs for my PSU:

+5V @ 40A
+12V @ 34A, 38A pk
-5V @ 0.3A
-12V @ 2A
+3.3V @ 30A
+5VSB @ 3A
power<510W
peak power<650W

But yes...I was guessing she was a goner. I'm in Japan and I don't speak a lot of Japanese....so hopefully I can swing a return back to the store :)  On a product like this should I attempt a return or talk to the manufacturer [Asus] directly?
a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2006 9:50:17 PM

Your ps is a little on the low end.
It might be a good idea to get one with some more amperage on the +12V rail.

I forget exactly what the GTX calls for, but it is in the 25A range just for the card it self.

Rma the card, get a bigger psu and try it then.
Hopefully it will work for you.
December 15, 2006 10:29:25 PM

It requires a power supply with atleast 30A total from the +12V. From your specs I'm gonna guess you have the same supply that I do. It's more then enough to run a single gtx, of course depending on the rest of your hardware.

Assuming you do have the same one (PPC Turbocool 510 Express/SLI ?), make sure that both of the 6pin pci-e power connectors are fully seated, if not you'll get issues. Also, for a single card don't both using the 2 molex to 1 pci-e adapter, just use both that come from the psu. Make sure you pull the card all the way out, insert it as evenly as possible, and make sure to give it a little pressure to make sure it's fully seated.

If all else fails, if you have another box you can test it in do so, otherwise rma it. Unless you're running a lot of crap you should not have to buy a new psu right now.
December 16, 2006 2:39:19 AM

Yes it's the same PSU you've got. I was using both of the 6pin power connectors and after it stopped working I tried the molex connectors then thinking it could've been that. But both of those 6pin power connectors work with my 7800GTX so I'm guessing they're fine. I'm going to attempt to return the card right now...let's hope the Japanese store has a lenient return policy :D 
December 16, 2006 3:19:35 AM

possibly have you tried mounting it when the case is laying on the ground, so that the weight of the card pushes it into the slot, maybe also try installing it outside of the case. ie) just removing the motherboard and leaving hd's, psu, ect... in the case if the cables are long enough.

Good luck with returning it if it doesn't work out.
HTH
December 16, 2006 7:18:56 AM

So I take the card back to the people and the guy is checking it. Their setup is all laid out on the table so they can show me what they're trying to do to make it work. The first PSU he was using only had 1 6pin connector and he had to use the molex->6pin adapter. The card beeped at him just like it did to me. He swaps out PSUs [the second one didn't have 2 6pin connectors either] and.............the god damn thing turned on. Boy did I feel like an idiot.

So now...it seems I should swap my PSU. Glad I didn't fry my card...but, the fact that the 8800 was running in my system and then just decided to stop working made me think it wasn't the PSU. When I got back from this whole fiasco I tried it again [case lying on it's side for better seating] and it just beeps at me. ::Sigh:: I Think I might just upgrade to a 1000 Watt PSU and not worry about any PSU problems for the next 12 months before I upgrade again :D 
December 16, 2006 7:19:36 AM

And by the way...I appreciate all the help guys :) 
!