"Intel vs AMD - integrated graphics shoot-out"

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/12/15/review_intel_vs_amd_integrated/

I realize that many/most THG Forumz readers are gamers and IGPs are anathema to 3D games, but you don't have to be a gamer to be an enthusiast. These issues are taken into account in this Register review. El Reg is my favorite of the tabloids because they look at things from differing perspectives while still retaining the hilarious snark and gossip that are typical of that type of (yellow) journalism. I'm thinking of getting a Santa Rosa laptop which will have G965 integrated graphics. I'm impressed by the performance on the desktop and hope that translates well in the notebook market.

heartview

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Interesting article. It makes me wonder once again what would happen if Intel decided to get in to the GPU market in full force.

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Its been known for some while that Intels CPU + IGP combo is superior to combos with an AMD CPU.
However, this fact seems to be unknown to certain people *coughshariboomcough*

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
just wait for AMD to release there RD600 IGP series of chipsets for AMD CPUs (not sure if Intel will get the IGP variant), its going to feature a 4piplined X700 core with directX 9 and shader model 3.0 support, might just be the most power IGP for the desktop ever released.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
just wait for AMD to release there RD600 IGP series of chipsets for AMD CPUs (not sure if Intel will get the IGP variant), its going to feature a 4piplined X700 core with directX 9 and shader model 3.0 support, might just be the most power IGP for the desktop ever released.
But the X3000 will (supposedly) have DirectX 10 support.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
But the X3000 will (supposedly) have DirectX 10 support.

only if they do a hardware revision, can't give a GPU the full set of features of newer DirectX versions just by software updates. My X1900 can run DX10 but it'll be crippled on features since it was built around DX9. The X3000 will have the same thing unless they do, do a hardware revision in which case your current ones built for DX9 or DX8 won't be able to fully utilize DX10 features.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
gma 3000 hardware was built specifically for vista and dx 10

then it'll be interesting to see when they both are out running Vista

I for one will never run IGP's but i do see how they're convient for light to non gamers, and in that regard IGP's are perfect

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I for one will never run IGP's but i do see how they're convient for light to non gamers, and in that regard IGP's are perfect
I wouldn't either on the desktop but for a laptop it sounds good, plus you also get power savings and better battery life. Of course that won't happen until Santa Rosa is released next year. I'm also getting a cheap PC for my parents for Christmas but so far I haven't seen anything available with the G965 at any of the retail chains. I'd build it myself but since I can't be there to troubleshoot I'd rather get it at a store where they can take it under warranty if anything goes wrong. I'll probably go with something using an X2 3800+ with an ATI chipset/IGP and then add a video card later on for Vista, which I'll get for free as an express upgrade.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
i actually bought a motherboard with the gma3000 gfx and it plays games pretty good.
I used to not trust integrated gfx but this time i said what the hell and got it. I play wow sof2 D2 and HL and they all play good on this system
Nothing like good hands-on experience. Thanks beerandcandy.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Anathema? Talk about archaic. Sometimes use of the thesaurus is anathematic to good journalists. :wink:
I give you B- for readability.

Nice link though. Always nice to see some more info on the latest IGPs, as they hardly ever get any press time.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Anathema? Talk about archaic. Sometimes use of the thesaurus is anathematic to good journalists. :wink:
I give you B- for readability.
Considering that English is my second language I think I do pretty good (well). One of the American nuns that taught me English probably introduced me to that word. My prepositions and syntax get all screwed up but what the hell. ;)

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
For English second language, your grasp of gammer and syntax is superb. Most native English speakers would never know the meaning of the word "anathema", just because it's not often used in everyday speech. For you to have the ability to pull that word out of your English vocabulary and use it correctly is simply nothing short of amazing. I give you props! :D

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Thanks! But honestly, the prepositions are impossible. Sometimes I try to construct a sentence in a way that avoids using them so I won't be mocked. :) Something like "he's sitting on the car" as opposed to in the car. That's because preps are so arbitrary in any language and you pick them up at an early age verbally. And forget about slang, which I consider to be an important element of any language. That's when I use Google as a slang thesaurus.