push and relay? video reflectors?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.multimedia (More info?)

a friend on mine who is not so tech savvy is interested in setting up a
webcam that could handle 10-20 concurrent connections at 320x240
resolution and a decent framerate. she has a standard DSL connect
(768/128Kbps) and a quality USB webcam. however, it is clear that
serving straight from her DSL connect is not going to cut it. so i
gather that we are looking for something like "push and
relay"...basically the video streams to an ISP that then
redirects/reflects the feed to the viewers.

can anybody recommend some resources (websites with info, software,
etc.) regarding this sort of setup? any recommendations on ISPs who
offer these sort of services?
any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

On 16 Jan 2005 13:24:04 -0800, putt454@yahoo.com wrote:

>a friend on mine who is not so tech savvy is interested in setting up a
>webcam that could handle 10-20 concurrent connections at 320x240
>resolution and a decent framerate. she has a standard DSL connect
>(768/128Kbps) and a quality USB webcam. however, it is clear that
>serving straight from her DSL connect is not going to cut it. so i
>gather that we are looking for something like "push and
>relay"...basically the video streams to an ISP that then
>redirects/reflects the feed to the viewers.
>
>can anybody recommend some resources (websites with info, software,
>etc.) regarding this sort of setup? any recommendations on ISPs who
>offer these sort of services?
>any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

A jpg frame at 320x240 and 60% compression is ~80 kb in size, so
she will be hard pressed to get much more than 1fps upload rate
on her DSL line. Most setups ftp the frame to a high bandwidth
web server where the viewers download the frames. Ivista has
something like this ($$$) and the webcam32 satcam live setup may
also be similar. There is no free ride on these types of setups.

<putt454@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>a friend on mine who is not so tech savvy is interested in setting up a
> webcam that could handle 10-20 concurrent connections at 320x240
> resolution and a decent framerate. she has a standard DSL connect
> (768/128Kbps) and a quality USB webcam. however, it is clear that
> serving straight from her DSL connect is not going to cut it. so i
> gather that we are looking for something like "push and
> relay"...basically the video streams to an ISP that then
> redirects/reflects the feed to the viewers.
>
> can anybody recommend some resources (websites with info, software,
> etc.) regarding this sort of setup? any recommendations on ISPs who
> offer these sort of services?
> any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

You will need to find an ISP / Hosting server that is running a Windows
Media Server.

All she need to do is "push" the one video stream to the ISP / Hosting
server, and they will do the distribution to all the users. a 128Kbps
(upstream) will work fine with a 320x240 @ some_nice_framerate.

In the Netherlands there are several ISP's / Hosting servers that offer a
service like this (windows media server)

An other way you could do it is to get your own dedicated server with some
ISP, and get the needed "media server" software on it.

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com