Sign in with
Your question

Connect wireless bridge to WAN port on router?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 19, 2006 12:11:15 AM

I am looking to buy a wireless bridge. WET11 or the 54G model. My neighbor has wireless and I want to connect via one of the Linksys bridges listed above, but I want to connect the wireless bridge to my WAN port on my router so I can share that connection on my own LAN.

Will this plan work?

Any input will be appreciated

More about : connect wireless bridge wan port router

May 19, 2006 2:42:11 AM

You are required to have a bridge on each end in order to tie two networks together. Other wise its just a client connection.
May 19, 2006 12:55:06 PM

Here is some clarification

I want to connect to the internet using my neighbor's wireless router which already connects to the internet. I have no desire to share or access anything else.

I can already connect one laptop via wireless, but since I have three PCs (wireless, wired, wired), I wanted to buy something that could connect my entire LAN to the internet. I already have two wired routers laying around (Dlink and Linksys).

I was looking to purchase a Linksys wireless bridge - WET11 or 54G model since you are allowed to connect practically any thing that has an ethernet port to it. I want to connect the wireless bridge to the WAN port on my wired router. I hope this will allow me to connect to the internet via my neighbor's wireless and then share that single wireless connection on my LAN having the router provide basic security

So far, I have not able to explicitly confirm this plan.

... And I refuse to use Windows ICS.

I think it will work, but want a second opinion.
Related resources
May 19, 2006 4:05:23 PM

You just need to connect a AP setup as a client, or game port to your router (wan). The setting will have to be set prior to connection to the WAN port. Unless you connect to a switch or hub. I would not even look at the 11b, 11mbps/3 = bad.

He will be Violating his ISP agreement. If he grants access to his ISP Service.
May 19, 2006 4:06:25 PM

You just need to connect a AP setup as a client, or game port to your router (wan). The setting will have to be set prior to connection to the WAN port. Unless you connect to a switch or hub. I would not even look at the 11b, 11mbps/3 = bad.

He will be Violating his ISP agreement. If he grants access to his ISP Service.
April 13, 2009 3:29:29 AM

I have an issue like this, you can read about router WAN port setting at my blog. Fell free to contact me there is you'll have some similar issues in future.
!