G

Here's a link to a link

I would say it depends on how many HD and what are your priorities.

For the price, incredible cooling, might be hard to manage the cables, if you don't really mind then it's all good.

If you are good with a dremel you can do something wonderful like this guy did!

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
hey there,

i was just wondering what you guys think of this case. i will be getting this for christmas and i was wondering if its good. it supposed to be great for gaming but who knows. i will overclock with this a little as well.

case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129021

any and all input is much appreciated
thx guys

:D

I'm presently configuring a system that I'l purchased next february. That case was my first choice for both price/performances ratio and for it's cooling efficiency. But I changed my choices lately because it's too loud according to review.

My next system being watercooled, I want to make sure it won't be too loud. Here's what I'll get instead:

http://www.sohodiffusion.com/produit.asp?shop=&num=4338

This case is more expensive, but it's quieter and cool even better with a 25cm (10 inches) fan blowing on your mobo component. In my case that's a big plus, since watercooled system tend to have overheating capacitator around the cpu.

Still, if I'm too tight on money, I might save the extra 60$ and go for that case. I'll only make sure to put some rubber between fan and the case to lower the sound output.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
http://www.directron.com/va8003bws.html

You mean the TT armor with 25" side fan steel version? That side is hugely overpriced, wtf is that... $120 at D-Tron.

Yeah, I looked at the TT armor, and it's a nice case. I originally wanted to go the Antec nine hundred, but I need lots of HDD room, so I think I'm changing to the TT just because of the larger amounts of bays it can hold.

However, the nine hundred is probably the best gaming mid-tower or close to the best, it has plenty of fans and is a cooling beast. Can't go wrong with the nine hundred unless you want lots of drive room.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
This price is Canadian $. Also, the price range here are not the same as south of the border. We usually have our VPU cheaper, if you consider currency exchange, but stuff like cases are a bit more expensive. I guess it has to do with tax on import, but who knows.

Anyway, the 148$ it sells at your links translate to about 170$ canadian. I'm not considering the mail-in rebate of course.

Still, like I said, the Nine-Hundre is also great, maybe even better depending on what's most important to you.

ma2ha3

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
i do not like

about antec 900

NO dust filters

NOT FULL aluminum

BAD cabling from top to bottom, not long enough.

there should be a mesh with filter under the power supply to suck in air from under the casing.

other than that. it is great.

redwing

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
IF you want good cooling and excellent sound insulation, consider the p180. Thats the case that I was recommended when I asked for a quiet case, and indeed after reading some reviews it seems the case is great.

I personally dislike the "window on the side" type of case, since it adds to the noise (removes the possibility of a steel side cover that dampens noise) and I'm not a big on having dozens of LED's in my face, especially when I leave the system on for the night.

The P180 is a completely closed case, but with excellent cooling and a ducting system to bring air to the CPU & GPU. THe duct is somewhat dubious, and might not fit your setup, but even without it the case is good value. Check it out.
I'm buying the black version, but I think there's a silver version of it as well.

Cheers

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article255-page1.html

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1833214,00.asp

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I have it and love it. I also recomended it to a friend and he also loves it. The only real complaint I have is that with all the air flow it has there is nothing to stop an obscene amount of dust from building up both on and in the computer. If anybody claims it's loud, it's probably their CPU or GPU fan and they're just blaming it on the case. It comes with 3 120mm and a top 200mm fan all of which can be turned to low and you still get great airflow with very little noise. The other feature I really like on it is the power supply placement, on the bottom of the case. This does 2 things; 1. it moves the PSU away from the CPU and pushes the CPU up towards the 200mm fan allowing for hot air to be dissapated much more efficiently 2. if you have a PSU with an intake fan on the bottom it will now act as a card cooler (i have a TV tuner card right above it so it works great). I'd say it's a really good case if you don't want to spend a fortune, how ever it would work best if not kept on the ground, and you may ran into problems if it's really stuffed away under a desk.

redwing

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
Most of Antec's premium cases have air filters in the front of the case. The p180 has them too. I doubt it eliminates dust build up, but it certainly slows it down (or so I hope). They are probably more efficient if you put an intake fan in the front of your case, and force most of the air to come through the front rather than the sides or wherever else there are vents.

G

Too bad you couldn't mount the PSU upside down or something. Is that good for the PSU though? Upside down?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Supposedly I hear tell it's not exactly a good thing since most PSU components are fairly heavy and hanging it upside down off the PCB board won't be good for it, but I didn't hear this from any real sources and I know people who have done this before. Only thing I would be careful of is to make sure nothing falls into the PSU since the fan grill is facing up...

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
As others said, the Antec 900 does have sufficient air flow, but lacks dust filters. Otherwise, not a bad case, IMO.

Secondly, the P180 cases... well, from personal experience...
1) The lower chamber can be cramped if you don't have a modular PSU.
2) The middle hdd cage can't really be used if you're using a high end GPU. This section of the case makes a great air duct though for GPUs!
3) Since the PSU is on the bottom, it makes it quite difficult to occupy the bottom PCI/PCI Express slot!
4) Connecting the P4/P8 (power connector next to the CPU) can be a pain. I have an ATI X1900XT with an Accelero X2 and just getting past that was annoying as well as trying to plug it in after installing the Scythe Ninja
5) Not very good for water cooling

However, the dust filters are great! Sadly, I have to clean them about once a week, but no biggy. They're removable and they do keep out the majority of dust out of the case! I opened up my case after a month of it being on 24/7 to find hardly any dust inside! Definitely a PRO!!!

IMO, dust = trapped heat = sick computer :(

My Thermaltake Shark case, that houses an AMD 64 with a Zalman 7000 loves to suck in dust! I have to clean that sucker once a month just to keep the temps low!!!

Perhaps I went over board with this post :oops:

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I have it and love it. I also recomended it to a friend and he also loves it. The only real complaint I have is that with all the air flow it has there is nothing to stop an obscene amount of dust from building up both on and in the computer. If anybody claims it's loud, it's probably their CPU or GPU fan and they're just blaming it on the case. It comes with 3 120mm and a top 200mm fan all of which can be turned to low and you still get great airflow with very little noise. The other feature I really like on it is the power supply placement, on the bottom of the case. This does 2 things; 1. it moves the PSU away from the CPU and pushes the CPU up towards the 200mm fan allowing for hot air to be dissapated much more efficiently 2. if you have a PSU with an intake fan on the bottom it will now act as a card cooler (i have a TV tuner card right above it so it works great). I'd say it's a really good case if you don't want to spend a fortune, how ever it would work best if not kept on the ground, and you may ran into problems if it's really stuffed away under a desk.

Air filter can be purchased for not this much, altough one for a 20cm fan is probably hard top find.

Anybody here knows where to get the component they use to do them but much bigger so I can cut it myself?

I'm shooting for TT Armor case with 25cm fan on the side, maybe with no air filter also. I'll do one myself if that's the case and if it's possible with whatever is possible for it.