Ok so I just got new stuff for my comp and I have a problem

titand

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I have a AMD Antholn 64 Processor 3800+ OC at 2.60 GHz and 1g of ram I also got a video card from a friend that just upgraded his card at Nvidia 6800GT...now here is were my problem comes in

It was all working fine untill like 10 mins ago when all of a sudden the card wants to leave lines across the screen wanted to scramble after I loaded World of warcraft on to my comp...and now when it goes to boot in to windows I get no signal on my screen...What problems could I be having??

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
The first line of your post is a little confusing. Did your friend give you the 6800GT, or is that what he upgraded to? What kind of power supply do you have?

titand

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
So to answer some of the questions...
1. he gave me the Nvidia card I was using the ATI 9600 card
2. it has dotted lines going from top to bottom and when it wont log in to windows...I get a message on my screen no signal...and I am using my digital port
3 I am using a 400W Antec Smart power powers supply I only have my 1 DVD/CD burner, harddrive and 2 fans plugged in...along with the card it self on its own power port..
This card is only about a year or so old...I had no problems untill I loaded WoW and tried to play..I dont even have the card maxed out yet...it started before I changed the default graphics on the game..

titand

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
It sounds like your newly acquired card died. What happens if you swap in your old card again?

I just changed back to my ATI card..I still cant play wow..but the lines are gone...

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Green lines are common with either lack of power (but your PSU should be ok) or overclocking. You don't mention if the card is AGP or PCIe, but the mobo may not be locking these busses while you overclock your CPU. Try resetting the CPU to stock speeds.

Failing that, boot to VGA mode, (Press F8 repeatedly on boot, select VGA mode), and reinstall the nVidia drivers, it could be a driver corruption issue as it was working before the crash.

Failing that... try using coolbits to "declock" the card and it might become stable. Boot into VGA mode if necessary - although I don't remember if coolbits will still work in VGA mode.

If it doesn't, or the card still won't work even in VGA mode, then you could try downloading the BIOS from the card blind with nvflash, modding it with nBiTor for lower clocks, then reloading it to the card, again blind.

That's pretty intimidating tho if you have never done it before ;)

titand

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
OK I dont know how to do any of that stuff so I realy wouldnt want to mess with anything like that...

But here is a update..

I have installed another game besides World Of Warcraft I now also have Ghost Recon Advance warfigther installed as well...same thing though makes it past all the music and the game creator screen gets to the game select screen and locks up..no not the entire computer but just the game..I can still control alt delete to get out of it...Right now I have the Video card Over CLocked by using the cards over clocking files...

To update every one on what I am using for gear
1. ATI radion 9600
2. K8M800 Mother board (by Biostar)
3. AMD Anthelon(TM) 64 Processor 3800+ (Over clocked to 2.60GHz)
4. 1g of DDR2 ram

Everything but the video card is brand new right out of the box last night..The Video card Both the Nvidia 6800GT and the Radion 9600 are both used but neither of them have been abused or are over 1.5 years old..I had the ATI card with my old set up and it worked just fine..the gear that I got from Newegg is a serious upgrade for me and it should be able to allow me to play games at full graphics...I dont understand why it locks up on games

titand

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I fixed the problem thanks every one for the help..I found out that the motherboard didn't like nvidia cards so I had to flash the bios..Thanks for all the help I had...:)