installing programs: Stop all processes?

I udnerstand that when I install or uninstall, I should not have any programs
running. I close down my virus protection (and get off the net). I check
task manager, which shows no programs running. However, there are many
processes listed (30-40). Should I close all of those ,esepcially since I
don't know what they are or what they do?

Thanks

All you need to do is to temporarily disable your antivirus
program when installing programs. Attempting to disable
background services will not be beneficial.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"tryintowork" <tryintowork@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I udnerstand that when I install or uninstall, I should not have any
> programs running. I close down my virus protection (and get off the
> net). I check task manager, which shows no programs running.
> However, there are many processes listed (30-40). Should I close all
> of those ,esepcially since I don't know what they are or what they do?
>
> Thanks

No. If all applications are closed that is enough.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com