8800 GTX chocking on Rainbow 6 Vegas?? Buying xbox360

MowTin

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I was really looking forward to playing rainbow 6 vegas. I just couldn't wait until it was released after seeing the xbox 360 reviews.

Now I find 8800 GTX owners having trouble running this game. Why? It's poorly optimized...it's a clumsy port of the xbox360 version with low res textures.

Is this the end of PC gaming or am I overreaction? I think most studios with the talent to produce great FPS games will make them for the console and then make some crappy port for the PC. That's the future I see.

I'm taking my $500 and buying an xbox360 instead of wasting it on a 8800 GTX just to struggle to play crappy console ports.

I'm so f**king pissed off. Sure the pc can surpass the console in hardware but consoles are where the money is at and that's where the good developers will invest their time in making great games. PC gamers (those who can still afford the hardware) will just get the left overs.

That's my rant. Flame on! :x

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Your opinion is pretty ridiclious. Who knows, you could actually buy the xbox 360, and next week, a new patch could be released fixing the problem. Sounds like a waste. Plus, you'll see poor graphics compared to a 8800. Spend 500 on a console over 1 game is a pretty poor decision. But its your money.....

chadwixx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Im having same problem. Marvel ult alliance has no pc optimizations (straight console port). I even read if you play it on a duo core it only uses 1 core. There are also no lighting optimizations so the game runs around 1/10th of what it does with the dynamic lighting. The plus side to the pc are the modders.

Xbox360 is nice, but i heard there will be a price drop to 299 (for the good one) around xmas, so id wait.

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
OMFG! Another damn console thread. You're whining about 1 crappy port? It goes both ways you know. Go ahead and buy that un-upgradable piece of hardware... :roll:

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Your opinion is pretty ridiclious. Who knows, you could actually buy the xbox 360, and next week, a new patch could be released fixing the problem. Sounds like a waste. Plus, you'll see poor graphics compared to a 8800. Spend 500 on a console over 1 game is a pretty poor decision. But its your money.....

Not really. The game is optimized he same way HL2 is, sort of. HL2 was made for ATI systems. Same with RS6 Vegas, except that it was built ONLY for ATI systems, and was just ported over to PC to use generic drivers. I bet you an ATI card would do it better, even though I am kind of an Nvidia fanboy. Someone should run it on an X1800 or X1900 and I bet it would be a hell of a lot better.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Christ....

Yeah, like most games MUA is single threaded, but guess what? This means its only using 33% of the Xbox360's Tri-core CPU compared to 50% of a Core 2 Duo, forgetting for a moment that on the PC at least the other core can run all your background apps.

Personally I run MUA fine, but its crap anyway, you aren't missing much.

There are still plenty of good PC games about imho, and console gaming is not exactly cheap when you factor in expensive games so the console maker can take a cut, and the requirement to buy an expensive HDTV to run in anything like the quality of a PC (or you use 480i).

Lets not also forget that as gfx options are unalterable on a console, those of us that DON'T use a HDTV run games optimised for the Xbox360/PS3/Wii's GPU @ 1080p (or at least 1080i) running at the same quality @480i, what a waste of GPU power.

One game is badly coded (although patchable) and you want to drop $500 on a console....

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
MUA is a crappy game even on PS3. If it isn't running great on you computer just turn ever setting down to the min and it will look about the same as PS3 (no AA).

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
OMFG! Another damn console thread. You're whining about 1 crappy port? It goes both ways you know. Go ahead and buy that un-upgradable piece of hardware... :roll:
Yeah, these threads invariably lead to flaming.

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Or you could by the Wii get some exercise :roll:

of course you fail to neglect OBLIVION! isn't that a port? or am i lost here? go ahead buy your 360 with ATI 48 shaderpipelines whilst the 8800GTX has 128.

and i laugh at you because i have an 8800GTS and your silly little console cant handle any DX10 games

chadwixx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Personally I run MUA fine, but its crap anyway, you aren't missing much.

I find the game to be very fun and it runs great on xbox360. Not sure what your talking about, all the shaders that kill preformance on the pc seem to look great on the 360. Read some of the mua formus, its been discussed in length.

Give mua some time, its like diablo2. Sure you can beat it one time but thats not the point of the game. It has a very high replay value and nothing beats co op. Noobie probably only lvl 18 anyways :) Hehe

Also play it with a gamepad, its very fun.

With software piracy at an alltime high (everyone has broadband now) game designers are catering towards consoles.

chadwixx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
There are still plenty of good PC games about imho, and console gaming is not exactly cheap when you factor in expensive games so the console maker can take a cut, and the requirement to buy an expensive HDTV to run in anything like the quality of a PC (or you use 480i).

You can buy a cable for the xbox360 for $39 that converts the hd signal to your comp moniter. I was looking into a moniter switcher and playing on this moniter.

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I was really looking forward to playing rainbow 6 vegas. I just couldn't wait until it was released after seeing the xbox 360 reviews.

Now I find 8800 GTX owners having trouble running this game. Why? It's poorly optimized...it's a clumsy port of the xbox360 version with low res textures.

Is this the end of PC gaming or am I overreaction? I think most studios with the talent to produce great FPS games will make them for the console and then make some crappy port for the PC. That's the future I see.

I'm taking my $500 and buying an xbox360 instead of wasting it on a 8800 GTX just to struggle to play crappy console ports.

I'm so f**king pissed off. Sure the pc can surpass the console in hardware but consoles are where the money is at and that's where the good developers will invest their time in making great games. PC gamers (those who can still afford the hardware) will just get the left overs.

im the same way, however il stay with computer..i was very excited an hour ago when i installed my 8800 gtx along with rainbow 6 vegas, only to see low resolution textures and no anti aliasing, boy was i bummed, fun game, but man i would really like to see the graphics...if this is the future of pc gaming, im saddened.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

You bought a gaming PC to play a crappy console port? I use the PC as a platform for good titles that aren't available to uneducated Xbox owners.

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET AA TO WORK IN VEGAS!?!?! so annoying, back of pc box shows amazing smooth graphics...my pc shows shit. graphics are maxed out with my 8800 gtx, but theres no AA option, it looks like a ps2 game. HELP!! any tricks to get AA to work? iv used my video card control panel and tried over riding it to what i like, but its just not working!

randomizer

Champion
If your that annoyed by it give me your 8800gtx, and I'll find some good use for it. Someone told me that there was a game that the PS3 struggled to get 18fps in, but I cant remember which game. Regardless, it shows how hopeless consoles are, even for games that are designed for them. Anyone remember the PS3>PC thread... :roll:

thegreat1

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
I made this very same point in the Games section... Its retarded..

Spedning 1500$ to have a system that plays games on par with a console..... or spend 500$ for a console to run your games, and 300$ for a system to surf the net and do your school work = money saved = NO Frustration = everything always works on the bloody console ALL THE TIME.

randomizer

Champion
I made this very same point in the Games section... Its retarded..

Spedning 1500$ to have a system that plays games on par with a console..... or spend 500$ for a console to run your games, and 300$ for a system to surf the net and do your school work = money saved = NO Frustration = everything always works on the bloody console ALL THE TIME.

Do you always support the minority? Thats what drives change in society. Minority rules, not majority.

EDIT: That sounded so good I had to put that in my sig 8)

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
You'd think the OP would at least come back and say something, rather than express his emotions to the world and then retire to his hole. Its bad (n)etiquette :p

yeah what a dolt.
I think he just wanted to start a flame war. With a topic that is talking about G80 and ends in "buygin xbox360" you can only be looking for one outcome. :lol:

But at least we have that happy-looking cat to put us all in a good mood (that + beer).