Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Rainbow
  • Xbox 360
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 15, 2006 4:49:53 PM

I was really looking forward to playing rainbow 6 vegas. I just couldn't wait until it was released after seeing the xbox 360 reviews.

Now I find 8800 GTX owners having trouble running this game. Why? It's poorly optimized...it's a clumsy port of the xbox360 version with low res textures.

Is this the end of PC gaming or am I overreaction? I think most studios with the talent to produce great FPS games will make them for the console and then make some crappy port for the PC. That's the future I see.

I'm taking my $500 and buying an xbox360 instead of wasting it on a 8800 GTX just to struggle to play crappy console ports.

I'm so f**king pissed off. Sure the pc can surpass the console in hardware but consoles are where the money is at and that's where the good developers will invest their time in making great games. PC gamers (those who can still afford the hardware) will just get the left overs.

That's my rant. Flame on! :x

More about : 8800 gtx chocking rainbow vegas buying xbox360

December 15, 2006 5:36:43 PM

Your opinion is pretty ridiclious. Who knows, you could actually buy the xbox 360, and next week, a new patch could be released fixing the problem. Sounds like a waste. Plus, you'll see poor graphics compared to a 8800. Spend 500 on a console over 1 game is a pretty poor decision. But its your money.....
December 15, 2006 6:04:05 PM

Im having same problem. Marvel ult alliance has no pc optimizations (straight console port). I even read if you play it on a duo core it only uses 1 core. There are also no lighting optimizations so the game runs around 1/10th of what it does with the dynamic lighting. The plus side to the pc are the modders.

Xbox360 is nice, but i heard there will be a price drop to 299 (for the good one) around xmas, so id wait.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 15, 2006 6:47:06 PM

OMFG! Another damn console thread. You're whining about 1 crappy port? It goes both ways you know. Go ahead and buy that un-upgradable piece of hardware... :roll:
December 15, 2006 7:06:39 PM

Quote:
Your opinion is pretty ridiclious. Who knows, you could actually buy the xbox 360, and next week, a new patch could be released fixing the problem. Sounds like a waste. Plus, you'll see poor graphics compared to a 8800. Spend 500 on a console over 1 game is a pretty poor decision. But its your money.....

Not really. The game is optimized he same way HL2 is, sort of. HL2 was made for ATI systems. Same with RS6 Vegas, except that it was built ONLY for ATI systems, and was just ported over to PC to use generic drivers. I bet you an ATI card would do it better, even though I am kind of an Nvidia fanboy. Someone should run it on an X1800 or X1900 and I bet it would be a hell of a lot better.
December 15, 2006 7:08:05 PM

Christ....

Yeah, like most games MUA is single threaded, but guess what? This means its only using 33% of the Xbox360's Tri-core CPU compared to 50% of a Core 2 Duo, forgetting for a moment that on the PC at least the other core can run all your background apps.

Personally I run MUA fine, but its crap anyway, you aren't missing much.

There are still plenty of good PC games about imho, and console gaming is not exactly cheap when you factor in expensive games so the console maker can take a cut, and the requirement to buy an expensive HDTV to run in anything like the quality of a PC (or you use 480i).

Lets not also forget that as gfx options are unalterable on a console, those of us that DON'T use a HDTV run games optimised for the Xbox360/PS3/Wii's GPU @ 1080p (or at least 1080i) running at the same quality @480i, what a waste of GPU power.

One game is badly coded (although patchable) and you want to drop $500 on a console....
December 15, 2006 7:37:31 PM

MUA is a crappy game even on PS3. If it isn't running great on you computer just turn ever setting down to the min and it will look about the same as PS3 (no AA).
December 15, 2006 7:55:15 PM

Quote:
OMFG! Another damn console thread. You're whining about 1 crappy port? It goes both ways you know. Go ahead and buy that un-upgradable piece of hardware... :roll:

Yeah, these threads invariably lead to flaming.
December 15, 2006 10:40:21 PM

Or you could by the Wii get some exercise :roll:

of course you fail to neglect OBLIVION! isn't that a port? or am i lost here? go ahead buy your 360 with ATI 48 shaderpipelines whilst the 8800GTX has 128.

and i laugh at you because i have an 8800GTS and your silly little console cant handle any DX10 games
December 16, 2006 1:02:01 AM

Quote:

Personally I run MUA fine, but its crap anyway, you aren't missing much.

I find the game to be very fun and it runs great on xbox360. Not sure what your talking about, all the shaders that kill preformance on the pc seem to look great on the 360. Read some of the mua formus, its been discussed in length.

Give mua some time, its like diablo2. Sure you can beat it one time but thats not the point of the game. It has a very high replay value and nothing beats co op. Noobie probably only lvl 18 anyways :)  Hehe

Also play it with a gamepad, its very fun.

With software piracy at an alltime high (everyone has broadband now) game designers are catering towards consoles.
December 16, 2006 1:40:20 AM

Quote:
There are still plenty of good PC games about imho, and console gaming is not exactly cheap when you factor in expensive games so the console maker can take a cut, and the requirement to buy an expensive HDTV to run in anything like the quality of a PC (or you use 480i).

You can buy a cable for the xbox360 for $39 that converts the hd signal to your comp moniter. I was looking into a moniter switcher and playing on this moniter.
December 16, 2006 2:07:50 AM

Quote:
I was really looking forward to playing rainbow 6 vegas. I just couldn't wait until it was released after seeing the xbox 360 reviews.

Now I find 8800 GTX owners having trouble running this game. Why? It's poorly optimized...it's a clumsy port of the xbox360 version with low res textures.

Is this the end of PC gaming or am I overreaction? I think most studios with the talent to produce great FPS games will make them for the console and then make some crappy port for the PC. That's the future I see.

I'm taking my $500 and buying an xbox360 instead of wasting it on a 8800 GTX just to struggle to play crappy console ports.

I'm so f**king pissed off. Sure the pc can surpass the console in hardware but consoles are where the money is at and that's where the good developers will invest their time in making great games. PC gamers (those who can still afford the hardware) will just get the left overs.

im the same way, however il stay with computer..i was very excited an hour ago when i installed my 8800 gtx along with rainbow 6 vegas, only to see low resolution textures and no anti aliasing, boy was i bummed, fun game, but man i would really like to see the graphics...if this is the future of pc gaming, im saddened.
December 16, 2006 2:29:05 AM

Quote:

You bought a gaming PC to play a crappy console port? I use the PC as a platform for good titles that aren't available to uneducated Xbox owners.
December 16, 2006 2:42:26 AM

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET AA TO WORK IN VEGAS!?!?! so annoying, back of pc box shows amazing smooth graphics...my pc shows shit. graphics are maxed out with my 8800 gtx, but theres no AA option, it looks like a ps2 game. HELP!! any tricks to get AA to work? iv used my video card control panel and tried over riding it to what i like, but its just not working!
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2006 2:49:43 AM

If your that annoyed by it give me your 8800gtx, and I'll find some good use for it. Someone told me that there was a game that the PS3 struggled to get 18fps in, but I cant remember which game. Regardless, it shows how hopeless consoles are, even for games that are designed for them. Anyone remember the PS3>PC thread... :roll:
December 16, 2006 2:58:23 AM

Yeah, that cat pic IS awesome. I had to show my girl (fyi she liked it too).
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2006 2:58:26 AM

Nope, I found it on google. Your the first person to say anything positive about it. Most people (being about 2 people :wink: ) say its stoned or something.
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2006 3:07:05 AM

It could be dangerous, hiding behind a cute face...
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2006 3:09:49 AM

You'd think the OP would at least come back and say something, rather than express his emotions to the world and then retire to his hole. Its bad (n)etiquette :p 
December 16, 2006 3:10:20 AM

I made this very same point in the Games section... Its retarded..

Spedning 1500$ to have a system that plays games on par with a console..... or spend 500$ for a console to run your games, and 300$ for a system to surf the net and do your school work = money saved = NO Frustration = everything always works on the bloody console ALL THE TIME.

Quote:

a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2006 3:11:50 AM

I'll say something for him then...

Blah
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2006 3:12:35 AM

Blah Blah
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2006 3:12:57 AM

Blah Blah Blah
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2006 3:14:00 AM

Quote:

Spedning 1500$ to have a system that plays games on par with a console..... or spend 500$ for a console to run your games, and 300$ for a system to surf the net and do your school work = money saved = NO Frustration = everything always works on the bloody console ALL THE TIME.

Do you always support the minority? Thats what drives change in society. Minority rules, not majority.

EDIT: That sounded so good I had to put that in my sig 8)
December 16, 2006 3:45:18 AM

Quote:
You'd think the OP would at least come back and say something, rather than express his emotions to the world and then retire to his hole. Its bad (n)etiquette :p 

yeah what a dolt.
I think he just wanted to start a flame war. With a topic that is talking about G80 and ends in "buygin xbox360" you can only be looking for one outcome. :lol: 

But at least we have that happy-looking cat to put us all in a good mood (that + beer).
December 16, 2006 4:03:10 AM

Quote:

Which also equals PC hardware that breaks and has crap warranty (because what kind of hardware can you get for $300?). Plus, your console works ALL THE TIME except when it doesn't (e.g. massive numbers of PS2s that have bad drives, mine included, which is now a paper weight). Do you know ANYTHING about the PS3s overheating and blowing the frick up?

Plus, if you invest all your money in the PC, you will save time doing school work faster. This = better life = better job = better wife = more sex = your logic freaking sucks worse than this logic does. :lol: 
December 16, 2006 4:39:18 AM

Quote:

Games don't ALWAYS work on consoles. I never use my XBOX any more because it takes 10 mins just to get a game to load properly and then it usually crashes. It's no better then having to constantly blow into an NES cartridge just to play a game. Most console gamers go through at least 2 of each console they own, so to say $500 is bogus. If you game any amount on them your almost garunteed needing to buy a second one before the next system is realeased, and even then you probably will still need another in order to play all those games you paid $60 a pop for and aren't compatable with the new system. And what do you get when you have to buy a console for the second? better graphics? faster? more features? NO, it's the same damn thing! Right now PS3 and to a much lesser extent 360 are on par with PC gaming (at least until next month -- DX 10!!!) but how about when you have to dole out another few hundred dollars to buy a replacement system because the optical drive burned out? If you invested that money into a new video card of the gaming computer thats as old as the console your replacing you'll get a huge boost. Then when you have to by the next-next Gen console what will it do for you're old games? Are PS2 games any better on PS3? I know my 8800 gave new life to every game I bought in the last 3 years. Console gaming is the minor leagues compared to PC gaming. Anybody who thinks anything else is a dope. I understand consoles are for people who for whatever reason are unable to game on a PC and that's great for them, but if you don't know the difference get a little education or shut up. BTW see you in 45 days when I'm gaming with DX10 on Vista making the PS3 look like a Super Nintendo.
December 16, 2006 4:41:51 AM

Quote:

Games don't ALWAYS work on consoles. I never use my XBOX any more because it takes 10 mins just to get a game to load properly and then it usually crashes. It's no better then having to constantly blow into an NES cartridge just to play a game. Most console gamers go through at least 2 of each console they own, so to say $500 is bogus. If you game any amount on them your almost garunteed needing to buy a second one before the next system is realeased, and even then you probably will still need another in order to play all those games you paid $60 a pop for and aren't compatable with the new system. And what do you get when you have to buy a console for the second? better graphics? faster? more features? NO, it's the same damn thing! Right now PS3 and to a much lesser extent 360 are on par with PC gaming (at least until next month -- DX 10!!!) but how about when you have to dole out another few hundred dollars to buy a replacement system because the optical drive burned out? If you invested that money into a new video card of the gaming computer thats as old as the console your replacing you'll get a huge boost. Then when you have to by the next-next Gen console what will it do for you're old games? Are PS2 games any better on PS3? I know my 8800 gave new life to every game I bought in the last 3 years. Console gaming is the minor leagues compared to PC gaming. Anybody who thinks anything else is a dope. I understand consoles are for people who for whatever reason are unable to game on a PC and that's great for them, but if you don't know the difference get a little education or shut up. BTW see you in 45 days when I'm gaming with DX10 on Vista making the PS3 look like a Super Nintendo.

Errr... I made this very same point in the retarded section... which means err... that it... must be true. :wink:
December 16, 2006 5:30:03 AM

At least hunt for a PS3 rather than last year inferior 360.

Really 8800 will run circles around either just give the drivers some time to mature and Dx10.
December 16, 2006 6:19:46 AM

Seriously DirectX 10 isn't even out yet

The fact that current technology on PC's = so called Next Gen graphics = sad = playing old tech games = wasted money

the console market will be holding back the PC market now, because the PC market will be surpassing all the consoles in 3-6months time means that cross platformed games for the PC will be dumbed down to the inferior console level, leaving PC built games to look godly. Its sad thats how things work, but what can you do

Viva la PC gaming
December 16, 2006 9:06:20 AM

Quote:
At least hunt for a PS3 rather than last year inferior 360.

Really 8800 will run circles around either just give the drivers some time to mature and Dx10.

You clearly havent looked into the GPU design very deeply, and become just another sucker in the Sony hype machine.

Anyhow, I support your decision to go and buy a 360 (or whatever), but Toms Hardware graphics card forums are NOT the place to come and announce it, your asking for trouble.
December 16, 2006 10:45:12 AM

Some of you PC only gamers need a dose of reality.Graphics on most PC games suck.For every game the looked and played as good as OBlivion this year you had 60 that looked and played like Mage Knight Apocolypse.

The 360 didnt fair any better this year but right now there is nothing on the PC that looks as good as Fight Night rd 3 or Gears of War.Crysis wont be the defacto standard of PC graphics next year but rather the exception.

There is nothing being released next year for the PC that will run circles around the best looking 360 games.Mass Effect already garuntees that.Maybe 2008
December 16, 2006 12:36:03 PM

Quote:
There is nothing being released next year for the PC that will run circles around the best looking 360 games.Mass Effect already garuntees that.Maybe 2008

one word. Crysis.
December 16, 2006 12:52:06 PM

PC games are also a lot more then just pretty graphics. Fight Night rd 3 is a perfect example of what EA has done famously on consoles for years, incredable eye candy that quickly loses it's charm once you realize the shortcomings of the game. I had the privilage to watch fight night being played almost every day when it was first was released. It looked awsome at first but quickly I noticed that because of the stunning graphics the boxers only had very stiff and limited movements as opposed to fluid life like motion. Once you get past the initial eye candy the games not much better then Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Albiet that was a great game I would expect more. Some thing with Madden 07. The cut scenes in between plays looks incredible. However the system lag when switching between those graphics and the ones actually used in gameplay makes play selection very annoying and the end result is a game that looks no better then last years version on PS2.
December 16, 2006 1:18:48 PM

Quote:
Some of you PC only gamers need a dose of reality.Graphics on most PC games suck.For every game the looked and played as good as OBlivion this year you had 60 that looked and played like Mage Knight Apocolypse.

The 360 didnt fair any better this year but right now there is nothing on the PC that looks as good as Fight Night rd 3 or Gears of War.Crysis wont be the defacto standard of PC graphics next year but rather the exception.

LOL, if I want to be restricted to 1280x720 without anisotropic filtering and antialiasing, then I'll get an Xbox360 or PS3.
December 16, 2006 2:09:56 PM

No haven't looked into GPU design but I have witnessed a side by side comparison in person. The 360 not only didn't look as good on 720p it was also slowing down in heavy action. The PS3 which I believe was running at 1080p looked clearly better and had far fewer slowdowns.

Me personally I don't own either non-product time wasting machines. The only reason I could see for owning a PS3 is for the cheap blu-ray drive.
December 16, 2006 2:17:33 PM

Quote:

LOL, if I want to be restricted to 1280x720 without anisotropic filtering and antialiasing, then I'll get an Xbox360 or PS3.

Console fanbois dont even know wtf AA or AF is because they cant miss something they never had :lol: 

My friend was bragging about his 360 so much that it became annoying to me so I had to hurt his feelings a little bit and show him what Oblivion looks like with 8XAA and 16AF :lol:  after watching me play all he complains about now is how muddy the textures in his games are and how jagged everything is :lol: 

Oblivion with my 8800GTX>My best friend David with his toy box.Speaking of that, I was considering jumping on the 8800 bandwagon this Christmas. Think it's worth it? I may end up waiting until the end of January to see what ATI's offering, but who knows. Also, how well does the 8800GTX overclock on air with the stock cooler?
December 16, 2006 2:21:17 PM

A real gamer would own both.
December 16, 2006 3:20:47 PM

Quote:
No haven't looked into GPU design but I have witnessed a side by side comparison in person. The 360 not only didn't look as good on 720p it was also slowing down in heavy action. The PS3 which I believe was running at 1080p looked clearly better and had far fewer slowdowns.

Me personally I don't own either non-product time wasting machines. The only reason I could see for owning a PS3 is for the cheap blu-ray drive.

I would like to point you in the direction of two articles

1. http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html?sid=6162742&tag=topslot;title;5&om_act=convert&click=topslot
-Just a simple comparison of the two consoles side by side

2.http://dpad.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35372/?spage=1

- A well written and technical explanation of each of the two machines GPUs

Make up your own mind all the same.
December 16, 2006 3:22:03 PM

Well, the R600 should be out within the next few weeks so I figure I can wait until then to see. The real reason I need a new GPU is for UT2007 in March. My 7800GTs are good enough for all the titles in my library. (I don't have Oblivion to shame my setup :lol:  )
December 16, 2006 3:28:07 PM

Quote:

Now I find 8800 GTX owners having trouble running this game. Why? It's poorly optimized...it's a clumsy port of the xbox360 version with low res textures. Is this the end of PC gaming or am I overreaction? I think most studios with the talent to produce great FPS games will make them for the console and then make some crappy port for the PC. That's the future I see.

That's my rant. Flame on!

Games that jump from a console to the PC often are poorly optimized because they were origionaly optimized for platforms. As if it is the game producers lazieness or whatever, yeah, I agree.. it sucks.
Take EA's NFS Carbon. I bought it yesterday knowing that the game has the same engine as NFS Underground built 3 years ago assuming I'd at be able to race online and produce some fluid gameplay - turned out my E6600 / 7900GS (<overclocked to the max even) is unable to churn more than 47fps and dips within 24fps at times. Carbon isn't the most beautiful of games and the game engine is dated. It's like this with all 'over the fence' cosole to PC games. You'd sware it was running off a 360 emulator.
Yeah, I'm mad. The game wasn't that expensive but not everyone has a 360, Wii, or PS3 and not each person with a mid-range PC is gonna go fork out 300 - 600 bucks to buy a console too. I like EA's work with Underground and Ug2, the Battlefield series, but the time spent in conversion with Carbon has really left a bad taste in my mouth.
Back to Wally World with you. :x
December 16, 2006 3:38:04 PM

RobsX2:

50-70 fps, outdoors, Oblivion = insane

seeing that just made it harder to wait for R600, i wonder how many frames i can push on my 24" widescreen? Oh well i'm a patient man i'll wait for the R600 benchies
December 16, 2006 3:38:07 PM

Yep. They need to take more time with the conversion.
December 16, 2006 3:45:50 PM

Well, at least on game does :wink:
December 16, 2006 4:38:45 PM

What rig are you running on?
December 16, 2006 4:44:20 PM

Any ways, R6 is a pretty crappy game, its slow, retarded, and not even impressive looking (i have it on the xbox360). Go ahead, buy the XBOX360, you wont be disappointed, but i dare-say, you will be equally disappointed when they patch r6 to run well on the 8800, cuz then you'll be 450+ in the hole for a console and game that look worse than its pc counterpart.
December 16, 2006 5:09:18 PM

Everyone seems to say the 8800GTX drivers suck but I havent had a problem with them :/ 

the latest version of nTune for non-nvidia chipsets is a little dodgy while coolbits is enabled as well, but prior to installing nTune today I had no issues at all...

(and now the only issue I have is that nTune is unable to override coolbit's setting of factory default or manual overclock, once set to manual I can overclock with nTune)
December 16, 2006 5:16:24 PM

nice rig. very nice.
December 16, 2006 5:58:26 PM

I dunno dude but my shit works 50-60 FPS full graphics on my 8800GTX and a E6600

Heres a few more

So shut up about ur silly outdated 360
December 16, 2006 6:44:24 PM

You're wasting a perfectly good 8800GTX by playing at 1024x768.
!