live streaming video recommendation

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm just trying to find a simple solution to stream video that my parents
can watch (we just had a baby). I'm using a Canon Elura 60 DV camcorder and
right now I'm using AIM. It works, but the pic is only like 2"x2". I'm
looking to be able to do 320x240 and can't find a nice simple application to
do that. I dont know if MSN Messenger works for that, but my dad is having
problems getting the video through his firewall anyway. Any
recommendations? Thanks!

Try it on your MSN Messenger- if the driver for the cam is there you & dad
can both enable uPnP and maybe that will get you going. If behind routers,
enable uPnP in them too.
What kind of firewall's ?
"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'm just trying to find a simple solution to stream video that my parents
> can watch (we just had a baby). I'm using a Canon Elura 60 DV camcorder
and
> right now I'm using AIM. It works, but the pic is only like 2"x2". I'm
> looking to be able to do 320x240 and can't find a nice simple application
> do that. I dont know if MSN Messenger works for that, but my dad is
having
> problems getting the video through his firewall anyway. Any
> recommendations? Thanks!

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have no problem with configuring my router (Linksys), my dad is less
technical and has some abomination from the phone company
in Florida with a much less intuitive interface. I've never even heard of
the company before and can't for the life of me recall it. If MSN messenger
will do this, we'll figure it out. My wife was just getting annoyed that
"it was taking all night" so I threw in the towel and tried AIM (which we
both still had to open ports for, but that one worked).

"bumtracks" <visitor@corner.bar> wrote in message
> Try it on your MSN Messenger- if the driver for the cam is there you & dad
> can both enable uPnP and maybe that will get you going. If behind
> routers,
> enable uPnP in them too.
> What kind of firewall's ?
> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I'm just trying to find a simple solution to stream video that my parents
>> can watch (we just had a baby). I'm using a Canon Elura 60 DV camcorder
> and
>> right now I'm using AIM. It works, but the pic is only like 2"x2". I'm
>> looking to be able to do 320x240 and can't find a nice simple application
>> do that. I dont know if MSN Messenger works for that, but my dad is
> having
>> problems getting the video through his firewall anyway. Any
>> recommendations? Thanks!

"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'm just trying to find a simple solution to stream video that my parents
> can watch (we just had a baby). I'm using a Canon Elura 60 DV camcorder
> and right now I'm using AIM. It works, but the pic is only like 2"x2".
> I'm looking to be able to do 320x240 and can't find a nice simple
> application to do that. I dont know if MSN Messenger works for that, but
> my dad is having problems getting the video through his firewall anyway.
> Any recommendations? Thanks!

Rob. Try the free Windows Media Encoder from Microsoft to do the live
streaming.
More info about the Windows Media Encoder:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx

Have a look for the Linksys setup @ www.portforward.com/routers.htm >
Linksys.

A small howto for the Windows Media Encoder:
http://webcam.kijk.info/how/how.pdf (it's a PDF file)

This is how it can look (when cam is online): http://webcam.kijk.info

Good luck.

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Noël®" <n03l@h-o-t-m-a-i-l.com> wrote in message

> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I'm just trying to find a simple solution to stream video that my parents
>> can watch (we just had a baby). I'm using a Canon Elura 60 DV camcorder
>> and right now I'm using AIM. It works, but the pic is only like 2"x2".
>> I'm looking to be able to do 320x240 and can't find a nice simple
>> application to do that. I dont know if MSN Messenger works for that, but
>> my dad is having problems getting the video through his firewall anyway.
>> Any recommendations? Thanks!
>>

> Rob. Try the free Windows Media Encoder from Microsoft to do the live
> streaming.
> More info about the Windows Media Encoder:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx
>
> Have a look for the Linksys setup @ www.portforward.com/routers.htm >
> Linksys.
>
> A small howto for the Windows Media Encoder:
> http://webcam.kijk.info/how/how.pdf (it's a PDF file)
>
> This is how it can look (when cam is online): http://webcam.kijk.info
>
> Good luck.
>
> Noël
>
> --
> http://webcam.kijk.info
> http://www.resize2mail.com

thanks, didnt realize WME would do live encoding. i ended up using TinCam
which, when it works, works
well, but hangs all too often. I'll try WME over the weekend.

Microsoft Media Encoder is excellent. I shouldnt of bought PYSoft
Broadcaster when ME was free.

> "Noël®" <n03l@h-o-t-m-a-i-l.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm just trying to find a simple solution to stream video that my
>>> parents can watch (we just had a baby). I'm using a Canon Elura 60 DV
>>> camcorder and right now I'm using AIM. It works, but the pic is only
>>> like 2"x2". I'm looking to be able to do 320x240 and can't find a nice
>>> simple application to do that. I dont know if MSN Messenger works for
>>> that, but my dad is having problems getting the video through his
>>> firewall anyway. Any recommendations? Thanks!
>>>

>> Rob. Try the free Windows Media Encoder from Microsoft to do the live
>> streaming.
>> More info about the Windows Media Encoder:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx
>>
>> Have a look for the Linksys setup @ www.portforward.com/routers.htm >
>> Linksys.
>>
>> A small howto for the Windows Media Encoder:
>> http://webcam.kijk.info/how/how.pdf (it's a PDF file)
>>
>> This is how it can look (when cam is online): http://webcam.kijk.info
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> Noël
>>
>> --
>> http://webcam.kijk.info
>> http://www.resize2mail.com
>
> thanks, didnt realize WME would do live encoding. i ended up using TinCam
> which, when it works, works
> well, but hangs all too often. I'll try WME over the weekend.

TRENDING THREADS