Sign in with
Your question

DIY LCD projector

Last response: in Systems
December 15, 2006 5:54:34 PM

I don't know if this is the right forum, and if the question has already been answered (the site is so big, a search brings up too much to sort out on my break time)
So, apologies if this is in the wrong area/has already been answered. Currently (Dec 2006), what is the best monitor to use for a home build projector? Would I be able to use a 7" lcd player (today available at Ralph's supermarket for -$70)?
I have played with an old 15" Viewsonic, but the card it uses is placed square in the middle, and the power and controls are on the side. In order to shine the light through the panel, everything would have to be to the side, and the ribbons and wires are too short in that case. Maybe they could be spliced, but if there are monitors that are convenient in this sense for a home build, could anyone point me?
Thanks so much in advance

Peter

More about : diy lcd projector

December 15, 2006 6:49:09 PM

I couldn't really tell you of a good LCD to use, but I will say that it is not worth trying the 7" lcd.

I if you search the THG archives, they have an article that has a few suggestions on panels that work well.
December 15, 2006 7:21:08 PM

I didn't know you could do a DIY LCD projector, but dang that's a good idea (and it would probably be pretty easy).
Related resources
December 15, 2006 7:53:56 PM

Err... that's not the point... F U mpilch! Thanks for ruining my plans! ;) 
December 15, 2006 8:42:40 PM

IIRC toms had a DIY Projector article a while back, looking through that might help a bit.

Haven't got a link, someone else might tho.
December 15, 2006 8:54:14 PM

Linkage

I've been meaning to do something like this for quite some time but never got around to it. I must agree with mpilchfamily. If you want good quality, go with a retail projector. (But be prepared to pay dearly for one.) Otherwise, the price of DIY can't be beat.
December 15, 2006 9:38:16 PM

i've been trying to work on one myself. so far i have an overhead projector, but no lcd. tryin to find one for under $55 dollars so i can keep the whole project under $100 :D  but if you really want quality check out lumenlab forums and the project logs. you find some really cool stuff
toms had actually two parts to the diy projector link
December 16, 2006 3:50:48 AM

Well, this looks like fun... totally something that I could show my geek friends and be like "hey man, check THIS out" and wow them ;) .
!